*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So just to be clear what is in the Network tab on the controller? Is the DHCP server set to Auto or Manual and what does it say on that tab. The access points have to know where to send the data they’re getting from the WiFi clients and that is set in Network.

Soldato
Awesome. At the moment I'm powering 1x AC Lite, 1x tado (using poe to usb adaptor) and intend to power my sure catflap hub using the same as the tado leaving me with one POE port. I don't need another AP at the mo so will do that.

Sorry to dig this up, what POE adaptor are you using as I ordered one, but it's not working. I have a feeling the adaptor is faulty.

Associate
I've been looking at adding an AP to the upstairs landing, using my Virgin 350mb connection.

...but I can't decide between the PRO and NANO when it comes to price/performance. I understand the NANO is newer and slightly faster, but the PRO can be had for nearly half the price second hand.
With 5ghz the main use, I'm leaning towards a PRO but I'm not sure I've missed something?

Soldato
People have woken up to the fact that the pro has an issue. It’s 3x3 and very few clients are 3x3. Most are 2x2 with newer clients being 4x4.

When you attach a 3x3 client to a 3x3 access point it runs at 3x3. That’s about 450Mbps. When you then attach a 2x2 client all the devices run at 2x2, including the 3x3 ones. So now your throughput is 300Mbps and they connect sequentially so one goes quiet while the other one communicates. So the Pro almost never actually runs at 3x3. It runs at 2x2 most of the time. You might as well get an LR or Lite in all honesty.

The beauty of the Nano is it’s a Wave2 4x4 so if you attach a 4x4 client it runs pretty fast. Maybe almost 600Mbps. If you attach a 2x2 then both clients do still drop to 2x2 but they both connect simultaneously so your overall throughput is still 600Mbps. The access point is always trying to get its best throughput. And that could be a 3x3 and a 1x1 or 4 1x1. In reality it’s a MUCH better access point. Hence why the Wave2 access points (HD, SGD, FlexHD and HDNano) command so much better prices used.

Soldato
Why not the 6 lite AP? Got 2 of them and its been great

If @Tourm has lots of WiFi6 clients then the U6-Lite would be a better option but for WiFi5 clients the 4x4 Wave2 access points can handle 2 2x2 clients or 4 1x1 clients simultaneously which the U6-Lite can't do. Which makes the Wave2 HD access points a better option unless almost all the clients are WiFi6. If you'd said U6-LR I would agree, that's a Wifi6 4x4 access point and it's throughput is genuinely limited by it's 1Gbps network port.

Soldato
There is a wide variety of YouTube content at the moment, often comparing the U6-Lite to the UAP-HDNano. The link below is quite different to many of them because it shows the only time the U6-Lite really beats the UAP-HDNano is with a WiFi6 client. And very often the clients were unable to get any signal from the U6-Lite access point where the UAP-HDNano got some signal through, albeit slowly. This is because the U6-Lite is excellent on 5 GHz AC but absolutely pants on 2.4GHz where the clients go when the signal gets weak or if you’re using lots of IoT devices.

https://youtu.be/J0IiSmkDzy4

What they say is ‘If you have a high density of U6-Lite access points then you’ll get good results. If you only have 1 or 2 access points then you’re better off with the UAP-HDNano.’

This is different to what others have found, but they were mainly testing with single clients whereas this test uses multiple access points and multiple of clients. They’re also not a Ubiquiti sponsored channel. They bought their access points from a distributor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Still not sure what to buy now to be honest. I think my decision may have become easier....I can't find anywhere to buy the new Wifi 6 ones. They are sold out on the unifi EU store in both the lite and LR. Thinking about it more I probably now have roughly equal 2.4ghz vs 5ghz devices. I only have about 3 x wifi 6 devices. I think I might do an actual home audit type thing and list out what the heck I have.

Soldato
The issue is that I would have if buying new now is that I wouldn’t want to spend a bunch of money on WiFi 5 kit when many if not all of my high bandwidth devices will be WiFi 6 on a few years. I’d be expecting to keep the access point until WiFi 7 was a thing.

I’m not worried about IoT stuff, I’m thinking laptops, tablets etc.

Soldato
I genuinely don’t think UniFi is ready for WiFi6. The current product range isn’t really where it needs to be simply because they’ve gone with 1Gbps ports. I’m using the U6-LR at home at the moment and with an ASUS PCIe 4x4 WiFi6 card in my desktop I can run at 1Gbps flat out on iPerf. On the other WiFi6 access point I have on test, which has the same chipset and a 2.5GbE port on it maxes out about 1.3Gbps so it’s definitely a limitation and I think the next generation of AX access points will be significantly better. And these access points are coming because the newer switches are all 2.5GbE PoE and they’re not doing that because they want to support other peoples access points.

Soldato
Has anyone used an ac-lite over a power line adapter?
Trying to boost wifi upstairs and it's the only way i can hook an ap.
yup. although i go:

edgeswitch<-->powerline<-->edgeswitch<-->ac-lite

and works fine, powerline should pass vlans too for multiple ssid etc.

Soldato
Soldato
yup. although i go:

edgeswitch<-->powerline<-->edgeswitch<-->ac-lite

and works fine, powerline should pass vlans too for multiple ssid etc.

This is a route I'm looking at expanding on again, I was originally getting the house cabled, but with COVID-19 that's delayed.

Any particular vendors / models to consider, I've used delvo in the past.

I'm currently meshing UI APs etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
As per a recent post about VLAN support on powerline, if it's not explicitly stated as being supported in the manual, don't rely on it being supported, even if an earlier version of the same brand did.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...s-tagged-vlan-traffic.18908918/#post-34275676

This is a route I'm looking at expanding on again, I was originally getting the house cabled, but with COVID-19 that's delayed.

Any particular vendors / models to consider, I've used delvo in the past.

I'm currently meshing UI APs etc.

mine are tplink av1200, not the best for rated speed (who are..) but mine pass vlans (no mention in the manual).

Back
Top Bottom