Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Looks like this will be my final year with VM since City Fibre just announced about my City.

Nice :)

I'm still hoping and praying that YouFibre moves on to my town after completing the one over.

Edit: Are you in Sunderland as I've just seen the article on ISPreview, I'm an SR7 postcode but live in County Durham, so not sure they'll go as far south.

Last edited:
Soldato
Random fact: Sunderland is the second smallest postcode area in the UK. Like all announcements, it depends on what the coverage ends up looking like, but it would be nice to think large parts of the area end up with OR FTTP, VM and an alt-net provision in place.

Soldato
Nice :)

I'm still hoping and praying that YouFibre moves on to my town after completing the one over.

Edit: Are you in Sunderland as I've just seen the article on ISPreview, I'm an SR7 postcode but live in County Durham, so not sure they'll go as far south.

Yes I live in Sunderland SR2 which already has virgin.

Soldato
VM is 2 streets away in my area at the moment. All new builds, new development but fibre was never done at the time of the builds! Hopefully we might get it this year, defo miss it from living in the city

Associate

Screenshot of what I had negotiated few days ago for M350. Be persistant, it is possible

Geez, please give me the name and number of the person you spoke to.. :) I rang again today and was told £53 for M350.. another person I spoke to wanted to give me my current package (M350/Smallest TV&Phone) for a reduced price of £70, £23 more than I currently pay.. Its mad they havent got a consistent approach to renewals.

Associate
I just randomly called them.

Went through the menu system and got to the part to press 4 if your thinking of leaving

immediately got another option to press one to remove the £3.50 price rise for 6 months. So pressed it.

Will wait and see if that happens in the next few days.

Even so i am still going to try and ring them again especially after seeing some of the discounts you guys are getting on here

And the fact right now i am paying £45 a month for 200 and some of you are paying less than that for the 350

Associate
Geez, please give me the name and number of the person you spoke to.. :) I rang again today and was told £53 for M350.. another person I spoke to wanted to give me my current package (M350/Smallest TV&Phone) for a reduced price of £70, £23 more than I currently pay.. Its mad they havent got a consistent approach to renewals.
Yes, I was surprised also, as was expecting a foreign call centre, then having to actually cancel, and then waiting for a phone call, but ended up getting straight through to the Swindon call centre

Associate
You can get 500Mb as a new customer for £45pm!

I know that is whats winding me up so much right now

I today got an email from VM saying your contract it over and your price is rising to £48.98

But guess what if you were a new customer you could have it for £32.00

I am like What rub my nose in it why not..

Then it said if you switch to another provider it could cost you £50.00

That email is what prompted me to call and start the cancelation thing

Soldato
Mine is going up to £49.75 for 200mbps!

Thankfully I can now get FTTP to the house so any threat to leave is not baseless now, as I can get 300mbps with EE for £42 to start with as a bargaining chip.

Associate
Mine is going up to £49.75 for 200mbps!

Thankfully I can now get FTTP to the house so any threat to leave is not baseless now, as I can get 300mbps with EE for £42 to start with as a bargaining chip.

Yes good luck with that.. I did exactly the same, pointing out I had booked an EE 300mb FTTP installation (not really true, bue)- it didnt make any difference. :D

Soldato
Then why is upload so limited on virgin? Even docsis 3 should be 5 times higher than what virgin offer now but from what the engineer told me at time of install is that the network virgin have setup will never get upload matching download.
Assume because it’s not all down to cable. It’s down to expensive tin.

Associate
Has anyone on the ultimate oomph bundle signed up to the new Virgin TV 360 service? We've not been happy with the UI/ Performance of their standard Tivo box and wondering if 360 is better/ worse.

Any feedback good or bad would be appreciated :)

Soldato
I just randomly called them.

Went through the menu system and got to the part to press 4 if your thinking of leaving

immediately got another option to press one to remove the £3.50 price rise for 6 months. So pressed it.

Will wait and see if that happens in the next few days.

I think the automated 3.50 off for 6 months extends your contract for 18 months again.

Associate
Phoned this afternoon to tell them I was leaving because of the fact you have to negotiate a new discount every time, the fact that you don't always get what you're paying for connection wise (although it's only short periods it can be quite often in a week/month). Online gaming in BFV was almost unplayable if you were trying to run around (latency jumping up and down, packet loss mainly). The guy I spoke to offered £35 for the 200Mb that I was on, paying £48.50, said didn't want that and wanted to try Bt, Sky or even 4G as I didn't need the speed so he offered £25 for 50Mb connection, which is just less than a new customer I think, still said I wanted to leave so he started the disconnection.
I have brought a Mikrotik Chateau 12lte and popped an EE sim in it to check it out. Speed wise it's about 75Mb, tried a game of BFV still had the latency and packet loss problem but it was very playable so I'm ok about that. Going to try out a 3 sim to see what that's like later on.

Back
Top Bottom