• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ASUS confirms ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 3080 Ti graphics card with 20GB memory

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Haha.
BYUvUJgCYAABcIB.jpg

Caporegime
Bad luck Nvidia cancelled the card

Better go buy the 3090 instead
There are tons of 3090's in stock now, both at OCUK (cheapest £1649) and at my local store (cheapest £1570). I'd still rather wait for a 3080 rather than pay double the price for a bigger and hotter card with only 15% more performance. I still see it as a 3080 ME (Mug Edition) unless you are using that extra VRAM for productivity.

PS: It's also important to note that the 3080Ti is not cancelled. Plenty of AIB's have registered their models but it was never given a formal release date, so Nvidia are likely holding off on announcing it for the moment until stock improves.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are tons of 3090's in stock now, both at OCUK (cheapest £1649) and at my local store (cheapest £1570). I'd still rather wait for a 3080 rather than pay double the price for a bigger and hotter card with only 15% more performance. I still see it as a 3080 ME (Mug Edition) unless you are using that extra VRAM for productivity.
I couldn’t agree more and 15% is best case scenario more like 5-10%.

I simply can’t understand why people would pay like a grand more for something that offers barely any additional performance apart from the fact it’s in stock!

Caporegime

I simply can’t understand why people would pay like a grand more for something that offers barely any additional performance apart from the fact it’s in stock!

I do understand that for some people gaming is their primary hobby activity and that they would rather just get on with enjoying it, especially in a depressing pandemic situation where we can't go outside normally. Others probably just want something now, have the money to burn and don't have the patience to wait. Each to their own.

However, I just can't stomach getting shafted so egregiously like that, it's beyond my personal tolerance for bad value and I know my buyers remorse would be significant in a few months. Besides, I have other hobbies to keep me busy I can always play the bazillion amazing and less demanding games within the PC back catalogue in the meantime. :)

PS: It's also important to note that the 3080Ti is not cancelled. Plenty of AIB's have registered their models but it was never given a formal release date, so Nvidia are likely holding off on announcing it for the moment until stock improves.

Last edited:
Associate

I would guess because the 3080 is gimped in regards to VRAM and will not last many years so the argument might be why spend £650 or more for a card that could see games as early as as this year having to turn down settings from max because of VRAM issues.

And also as Richdog has already mentioned those who grabbed it early have already had months of gaming out of it. It could be halfway through the year before Nvidia release the 3080ti and then months again before stock is available so maybe almost a year those people have been using their card and gaming on it?

Soldato
I would guess because the 3080 is gimped in regards to VRAM and will not last many years so the argument might be why spend £650 or more for a card that could see games as early as as this year having to turn down settings from max because of VRAM issues.

And also as Richdog has already mentioned those who grabbed it early have already had months of gaming out of it. It could be halfway through the year before Nvidia release the 3080ti and then months again before stock is available so maybe almost a year those people have been using their card and gaming on it?
I don’t believe it is gimped with vram and I don’t see this being an issue before it runs out of gpu grunt. One could say the 3090 will run out of grunt (perhaps already has) long before it hits its vram buffer. This vram debacle has been going on for generations and it’s never caused an issue unless people try and force it in niche ways.

Soldato
Weird, I got an alert @Richdog quoted my post, yet it took me here and it doesn't exist. Did you edit it?

The point highlighted is that why target the 3080Ti when it is unobtainable and if you think the 3080 is not good enough then just buy the 3090 as its far easier to source. The 3080Ti when it arrives sometime in 2021 :rolleyes: is still going to be upwards of £300 more expensive that the 3080FE. FWIW the 3090FE is 1399 and not the prices of the earlier posts (1570/1649). If your bothered about it, bear in mind you could be picking up the Ti halfway through the Ampere lifecycle. You will then get the posts about just wait for the hopper version - and thus the waiting game repeats..

Caporegime

If the 3090 is only 10-15% more powerful then it is not going to age so much better than the 3080 10GB in terms of horsepower to run modern games, though of course VRAM limitations will be removed from the equation. For double the price, the additional horsepower is feeble.

The 2080Ti at release was imo a far more impressive card in terms of the additional 40% horsepower it gave you over the next best 2080.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

The 3090 is still going to age badly for its price compared to buying a 3080 and then buying a 4080, probably spending the same money as a single 3090.

Soldato
The 3090 is still going to age badly for its price compared to buying a 3080 and then buying a 4080, probably spending the same money as a single 3090.

This is true. People that bought them will know this though, and likely bought because they either could not get hold of a 3080 or can use the card for other uses like development/work. It also depends on when you bought it, as looking back the 2080Ti was not that bad if you got it near release. Same can be said for the 1080Ti which I would argue was the best buy of the lot.

Associate

Absolutely however by the time some people get their hands on a 3080ti, 3090 owners will already had almost a years worth of gaming out of it! Additionally when the 4080 comes about those people could then move on their 3090 maybe for the same cost as a 4080?

Soldato
Absolutely however by the time some people get their hands on a 3080ti, 3090 owners will already had almost a years worth of gaming out of it! Additionally when the 4080 comes about those people could then move on their 3090 maybe for the same cost as a 4080?

Yeah its a bit hypothetical world and way down the line. The reality is most cards are hard to source and even worse can be way over priced compared to MSRP. Debating like the 4080 is just around the corner is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom