• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A bit of reality!

Associate
All these crazy prices about makes it easy to forget what these cards are supposed to cost! i just checked the AMD site,just in case. The RX 6800xt although out of stock is listed at £569.62 . That,s how much it should cost!!!! Not £900 not £800 not even £700. After having some sense knocked into me i have decided i am out for the foreseeable. If it takes six months or longer so be it. These prices are insane and i for one had become used to looking at at £900 some how thinking Under £800 is a bargain . Well it is not its still a rip off !!!!!!!!

Associate
Yep! I had that realisation with the 3070 and gave up. The prices are utterly ridiculous. Having said that, I've noticed multiple notifications regarding stock and prices are coming down. Saw a 3070 for 550 earlier.

Soldato
The only prices that are good are founders/reference msrp. Paying above this is a joke.

no one psys above list for a car.

no one pays above rrp for a phone or tv.

This 3rd party involvement (AIBs) just adds another profit wanting party to the chain and its unneccessary.

Permabanned
All these crazy prices about makes it easy to forget what these cards are supposed to cost! i just checked the AMD site,just in case. The RX 6800xt although out of stock is listed at £569.62 . That,s how much it should cost!!!! Not £900 not £800 not even £700. After having some sense knocked into me i have decided i am out for the foreseeable. If it takes six months or longer so be it. These prices are insane and i for one had become used to looking at at £900 some how thinking Under £800 is a bargain . Well it is not its still a rip off !!!!!!!!

They will keep selling if people keep buying them. Simple as that really.

Caporegime
The fe/amd reference from amd are the way to go. They have good coolers this time around and great build quality, whereas the third party cards are very lacking in a lot of areas. Its a bit of a wait but worth it if you can snag one. Has to be said its easier to get a 3070FE than any of the amd line up currently, though that could change in the coming weeks.

The current gouged prices are lunacy to say the least, it's tempting to give into them as I nearly did but was very happy with the 3070FE when I got it.

Soldato
The 3090 FE is back up on Nvidias site tonight for £1399 still mental but if I had that cash id spend it on it right now. Unfortunetly I spent too much over chrimbo so cant. Ive saved up £800 for a 3080 and another site had a pre order today for the Gigabyte eagle for £869 but I still think thats too mental. Ive been adviced by the good people on these forums to just wait it out, and as much as its hard to I know its the wise thing to do. I check AMDs site everyday but stock never drops anymore, although I once got as far as added a 6800XT to basket and got through to pay but couldnt finish it. Got a 3080 FE alert the other day but by the time I battled through capature thing it was too late even though add to basket was still there haha. Its cruel and frustrating but I do feel that those that can wait the longest will be the real winners. Only question is how long?

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Looked at my previous OCUK purchases earlier today. Bought a Sapphire Nitro+ OC 8Gb RX480 shortly after launch for £250, albeit 4.5 years ago.

Spent more than that on some RAM today!

Never mind the 3090FE last month and the 5950X build I’ve got inbound shortly. Yes it’s completely mental, but I can’t see things getting any better until post-Covid TBH.

Soldato
More car manufacturers have been hit with the processor shortages

Audi and VW have put 19000 staff on leave and shut down factories - cars are unable to be built without CPU and GPU SOC units

Associate
Bottom line is the manufactures don't charge extra to the retailers (well there is a middleman in between but same thing) but because there is so little of them coming out the retailers are scalping us. OCUK are scalpers now plain and simple, creaming huge profits for the ones they get.

The prices will stabilise but until then I will stick to the sites still selling at rrp. I got my CPU from one, which saved me £40 and will do so again when stock catches up with demand.

Associate
Looked at my previous OCUK purchases earlier today. Bought a Sapphire Nitro+ OC 8Gb RX480 shortly after launch for £250, albeit 4.5 years ago.

Spent more than that on some RAM today!

Never mind the 3090FE last month and the 5950X build I’ve got inbound shortly. Yes it’s completely mental, but I can’t see things getting any better until post-Covid TBH.
Covid is one aspect, crypto being at peak bubble is the other.

Soldato
the market price is higher than the rrp boo hoo.why dont you just buy a card at the more expensive price, mine on it when you arent gaming and in a month or two it will have paid the difference.

Associate
It's a bit more complex with mining. At least we have to take electricity cost, income tax (20-40-45%) and increasing mining difficulty into account.

It is profitable when you have a farm, which is specifically designed and optimised for mining. It's not that good for a single GPU, and maybe not even worth the hassle.

Associate
The only prices that are good are founders/reference msrp. Paying above this is a joke.

no one psys above list for a car.

no one pays above rrp for a phone or tv.
yes i was saying this earlier its madness ha ha

although ive seen exceptions like the c8 vette where people bought them new and drove them for a bit then sold them for more than paid ! :o

Soldato
I wouldn't pay a penny above the FE prices, personally. Especially when those are better built than 99% of the partner cards.

Back
Top Bottom