Quality of PSU makes a HUGE difference to onboard sound.

Associate
Just wanted to make this thread because I'm genuinely astounded at how good the onboard audio is on the ASUS TUF B450 Gaming Plus.

Unfortunately I had to give up my old modified x-fi xtreme music sound card with this new build as my current motherboard doesn't have a legacy PCI slot. Initially I was using a be quiet 650W unit from 2008 while waiting for a new PSU, and believe me the onboard audio sounded harsh and supremely mediocre. I couldn't wait to find a way to get better audio. But then my Corsair RMX 650W Gold PSU arrived today, and holy moly, the improvement in onboard audio is unbelievable.

I have been comparing the onboard audio sound to my LG G7 which is supposed to be among the best phones for sound quality, and honestly I prefer the onboard audio! It sounds clearer and better defined. I'm certainly not an audiophile but I do like my music. This new PSU has improved the audio quality significantly. I even prefer it over my old modified X-fi card with replaced opamps and capacitors (can't remember the exact details as I did this in 2011).

For reference I don't have super high end gear, but listening on lower impedance gear:

JAYS U-Jays wired
Sony XBA-N1 wired

ASUS do advertise this board as having better audio. So for anybody out there who thinks their ASUS onboard audio sounds like garbage - it might be your PSU. Only complaint is it could be a slightly louder so higher impedance headphones will probably suffer!

Associate
OP
Ok quick update. I just cleaned out the headphone jack of my LG G7 with a cotton bud and some isopropyl alcohol. It was actually quite dirty and must have been affecting the quality of output! So now the G7 is back in the lead, I did think it was sounding worse over time!!

So I will revise my above conclusion! The G7 is definitely better and goes way louder. However, the ASUS onboard audio still sounds fantastic. The point about the PSU affecting the sound quality is the key point.

Soldato
Cheaper PSU and especially old worn down one have higher ripple, which would need more filtering to keep it away from audio circuitry's power.
While BeQuiet started as very mediocre brand with even some pretty horrible garbages 15 years ago using Fuhjyy capacitors.

But if you have challenges in volume with also Sony, that integrated sound card is pretty darn bad.
Sony XBA-N1 has insane 130dB per volt sensitivity:
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/user-report.php?id=1861#gsc.tab=0
(dangerous for long term listening 94dB needs 17mV)
For comparison normally sensitive ones have that at 15-20dB lower level and 100dB per V isn't that abnormal.

Anyway CPU VRM of that board is garbage good only for 65W TDP CPUs.
Same applies pretty much to all Asus B450 boards.
Unlike adding separate sound card, that's not something you can fix.

Soldato
To be fair, this is more bad motherboard design than PSU, if I was designing the audio section of the board I'd be putting it on a linear regulator to give perfect power input.

Back
Top Bottom