***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Not sure how if this is allowed but I have a few blades some not even opened lying around id like to give them away just cover postage and I'll have them sent out please let me know how to go about this

Last edited:
Soldato
Not done a wet shave with blade for years, how does one shave without the pain.
If you've got pain chances are you're doing it wrong, or going against the grain (which some can do, others can't). Try changing the direction to go either with the grain or across the grain.

If you're going to trial a safety razor then get a variety pack of blades to trial, as different blades suit different people.

The other tip is everything you do should be about warming the face. Hot water (even a face cloth left on a few minutes if needs be) and instead of using a shaving bowl to get your lather apply it directly to the brush then work it into a lather on your face.

Personally I've stopped using a safety razor for the time being. A) because nobody is going anywhere and B) because I find Wilkinson Sword Hydro blades last for months (at least 3) before they start irritating so I just keep using them (the hydro effect wears off, but the blades themselves work for ages - it's probably just my face though).

Soldato
well first wet shave in in donkeys years, read plenty through here yes never knew going against the grain, done it all in the shower and no pain.
impressed.
Result! I enjoy taking the time to have a good shave, the process is relaxing and results are satisfying all day long. I've got 16 months worth of beard right now but I'm holding onto my shaving gear and looking forward to the day it's put to use again :)

Soldato
To mirror the above, not posted in ages but very pleased with myself. Bought all the gear years ago, had zero idea and could not for the life of me achieve a good shave.

After getting fed up with my gilette I dug out my old Merkur, one of the blades I still had (personna) and using my proraso shaving foam from a can had the quickest and most pleasant DE shave in my life. No bleeding, nothing.

Going to stick with it again and hopefully break my need for fusion razors.

Soldato
Anyone using persona blades of late? Not sure if I’ve had a bad batch but they are nothing like my old persona’s. New ones are very soft and need at least a second pass. My old ones were ok on a first pass!

Associate
Anyone using persona blades of late? Not sure if I’ve had a bad batch but they are nothing like my old persona’s. New ones are very soft and need at least a second pass. My old ones were ok on a first pass!

Not personally had experience with the Persona blades. I've used Derby (wouldn't ever recommend), Astra (would recommend) however, now I swear by Feathers. I use them in my DE (EJ89 and Fine Slant) & Shavette for BBS when I can't be bothered to maintain/line up my beard, which I grow out occasionally because Mrs. Shawrey hates my baby face. :p The Feathers are super sharp, so much so, I can't actual feel the blade on the skin.

Associate
DE blades bearing the name "Personna" are made in Israel, Germany and USA.

In many people's minds the "proper" Personnas are from Israel.

Clearly they are different products.

See

https://sharpologist.com/personna-blades-stay/

In UK the Israeli and German blades are available here

https://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

My preferred blade is the Feather, but I get on quite well with the yellow 7 O'clocks and the Gillette Silver Blues.

I have a tough white beard and use a Merkur Slant or a Muehi R41 - both aggressive razors. A vintage (1965) Gillette Slim Adjustable opened right up to its most aggressive also works well for me.

Soldato
DE blades bearing the name "Personna" are made in Israel, Germany and USA.

In many people's minds the "proper" Personnas are from Israel.

Clearly they are different products.

See

https://sharpologist.com/personna-blades-stay/

In UK the Israeli and German blades are available here

https://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

My preferred blade is the Feather, but I get on quite well with the yellow 7 O'clocks and the Gillette Silver Blues.

I have a tough white beard and use a Merkur Slant or a Muehi R41 - both aggressive razors. A vintage (1965) Gillette Slim Adjustable opened right up to its most aggressive also works well for me.

Cheers for this. Would appear I have bought the German ones. I have some old feathers I think I will go back to now im int he swing of it.

Back
Top Bottom