**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
How do you mean?
I think Simon means that while the new F1s give marginally better performance than the PS4S, the Michelin is so robust and long lasting (and the performance difference is honestly tiny) that "best" should include not only the ultimate performance they offer at the limit and when brand new, but how good they are through their exceptionally long life.

Soldato
Same, getting two new rears tomorrow.
I think you have a 265/35/19 tyre on the back of yours, right? If you can upsize to the 275 section tyre they are signifcantly cheaper!

/edit...just checked and the price gap has narrowed somewhat - it was huge last time I looked - but the 265 is ~£206 each and the 275 is ~£192 each, so still something of a difference.

Man of Honour
I think Simon means that while the new F1s give marginally better performance than the PS4S, the Michelin is so robust and long lasting (and the performance difference is honestly tiny) that "best" should include not only the ultimate performance they offer at the limit and when brand new, but how good they are through their exceptionally long life.
My M140i has 18" wheels and you can only get the PS4, not the PS4S. So it's a toss up of the F1SS vs MPSS and the Michelin's are an old tyre now, I'd have thought the F1SS would be the better choice compared to PS4 and MPSS.

Soldato
My M140i has 18" wheels and you can only get the PS4, not the PS4S. So it's a toss up of the F1SS vs MPSS and the Michelin's are an old tyre now, I'd have thought the F1SS would be the better choice compared to PS4 and MPSS.
Ah yes. In this case you're probably right. The PS4 is NOT the replacement to the PSS, and the F1SS is a better tyre than the PSS for sure (though perhaps the Michelin still has a longevity advantage).

Man of Honour
Ah yes. In this case you're probably right. The PS4 is NOT the replacement to the PSS, and the F1SS is a better tyre than the PSS for sure (though perhaps the Michelin still has a longevity advantage).
I've just had a look at ASDA tyres as well as Black Circles and I can't see the Goodyears listed, maybe they don't do them in 18's. :(

If all else fails I'll just stick with PSS, I've had the car two years and they've been fine, plus I hardly do any mileage now due to the obvious. I've been letting my mrs take it to Heathrow and back once a month to get some use out of it but she's just been put on Furlough for the foreseeable.

Caporegime
I think you have a 265/35/19 tyre on the back of yours, right? If you can upsize to the 275 section tyre they are signifcantly cheaper!

/edit...just checked and the price gap has narrowed somewhat - it was huge last time I looked - but the 265 is ~£206 each and the 275 is ~£192 each, so still something of a difference.

Yeah already did that, also went 255 fronts. Definately look better as on the competition pack 19s the 245/265 look a bit stretched, almost euro scene. However I think the OEM size have less 'twist' with the 265. Anyway PS4S were miles better than the MPSS in the wet which was the main benefit. Cant recall when fitted but must be 25k on the rears, they still have prob 2-3mm but one has a slow puncture which got driven on for a bit so not worth risking.

Annoyingly i left it from Nov when 2 fitted were ~£360 with black cricles, paying just under £400 now.

Got a few hours to find a car park to finish them off :p

Soldato
I've just had a look at ASDA tyres as well as Black Circles and I can't see the Goodyears listed, maybe they don't do them in 18's. :(

If all else fails I'll just stick with PSS, I've had the car two years and they've been fine, plus I hardly do any mileage now due to the obvious. I've been letting my mrs take it to Heathrow and back once a month to get some use out of it but she's just been put on Furlough for the foreseeable.
Camskill only list the F1 AS5 in your size. :(

Caporegime
Yeah they win all the reviews, buit annoyingly no 18s :( forgot about that

Soldato
I was under the impression, I might be wrong that the Crossclimate 2 is a new design, and again I might be mistaken but I think it has been weighted a little more towards snow/ice performance for climates that see those conditions, i.e. North America/Canada? Whereas the Crosscliamte + was just the iteration of the original Crossclimate which focussed more on dry/wet over snow/ice? i.e. European market

I don't know - tread pictures here suggest +/2 they are one in the same
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92869/michelin-crossclimate

Caporegime
Let's be clear...that's not 30k miles of drifting around the local Maccy D's car parks, nor is it 30k miles of track driving, nor even 30k miles of back roads. It's mainly racked up trawling up and down the UK's motorway network, but I have also done three proper thrashes across Germany AND several laps of the Nurburgring on this set of tyres, so it's not all been an easy life. They've also done a few smallish burnouts and a bit of silly drfiting around (because we're all children at heart), but it's no less impressive for it!

The really incredible thing about them is how much sheer grip and traction they give, EVEN when worn to low tread and in the current very cold/wet weather.

I was considering the new UHP Goodyear Eagle F1s to replace them when they are worn, but honestly the PS4S is just SO good that I will stick with them.

I didn't think it would have been. But 30K miles including some laps of the nurburgring is still impressive. The laps of the ring would have shaved a few thousand miles off the life of the tyres by themselves. Assuming you were giving it some.

Caporegime
I didn't think it would have been. But 30K miles including some laps of the nurburgring is still impressive. The laps of the ring would have shaved a few thousand miles off the life of the tyres by themselves. Assuming you were giving it some.
Not bad for a tank ;)

Soldato
Can anyone help choosing some good value tyres

215 50 17 (currently fitted)

Or

225 45 17

both seems to fit vectra 2008.

always bought part1s from local £25 a tyre! But don’t seem to be lasting long and probably not the best idea.

literally know nothing about tyres, just want good value long lasting tyres to get from a to b.

Soldato
Can anyone help choosing some good value tyres

215 50 17 (currently fitted)

Or

225 45 17

both seems to fit vectra 2008.

always bought part1s from local £25 a tyre! But don’t seem to be lasting long and probably not the best idea.

literally know nothing about tyres, just want good value long lasting tyres to get from a to b.

Perhaps the Nokian PowerProof.

£75.70ea (215/50 R17)
Nokian Tyres / Car / Nokian Powerproof - 215/50 R17 95W XL TL Fuel Eff.: B Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 69dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 17" R17" - 215/50/17, 215/50R17 (camskill.co.uk)

£58.10ea (225/45 R17)
Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 17" R17" - 225/45/17, 225/45R17 Nokian Tyres / Car / Nokian Powerproof - 225/45 R17 94Y XL TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 1 Noise: 69dB (camskill.co.uk)

Caporegime
Part worns can be a good option if you find matched pairs of a good make, in good condition, with decent tread, and a fairly recent DOT code. I would never ask a random garage to pick one at random off a shelf and whack it on though. You'll end up with 4 mismatched Chinese death rings.

Decide what you want to spend, stick it into TyreLeader, filter on premium & quality, summer, passenger, sort low to high, and tell us what your options are in that range and we'll tell you which ones are a good option or if you need to increase your budget.

Google suggests that either size was fitted and 225 45 17 seems to be the cheaper size, so go with that. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 5 is £69 a tyre. Seems like the best value to me, only £10 more than an Avon, £5 more than a Falken.

Nokian PowerProof seems like a somewhat random suggestion. User reviews look good but there arent many. Have you used them?

Last edited:
Associate
Another thread in regards to snow! Didn't get them fitted on time for today's accumulation in West Yorkshire. Can confirm michelin pilot sport 4 are no good in the snow :D had to abandon my vehicle. Just tried to move it again, it's well and truly stuck.

IMG-20210114-101635878.jpg

Associate
You need winters or all seasons.

I'm also in West Yorkshire. Granted, I've been nowhere today but last winter was my first with All Seasons on each corner (Vredestein Quatrac Pro) and I was wowed. My Merc (which also has 4matic) performed brilliantly. Stopping, Starting, hills, no problem.

I'm converted. We get more wet and crap weather than dry balmy days in West Yorkshire so All Seasons are the best compromise for me.

Associate
Yup not going to move tomorrow as well forecast for -3 so it will be like ice in the morning. Feels a little sad seeing little fiestas driving round like it's rain :D I've always done ok in FWD cars but not today, I've failed.

Back
Top Bottom