Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
I've decided to continue with the goal of 5k a day. I'm doing 1 day running, 1 day walking, rinse and repeat.

Day 5 so far and body seems fine, it's the lack of sleep that I'm getting that's killing me. I'm hoping the exercise will help me sleep better but it hasn't as of yet.

Amy recommendation on a decent running jacket for around £50? I'd rather it was shower resistant and breathable than completely waterproof and ends up making me sweat buckets.

Soldato
Thats a good idea. Could always do part run part walk on the inbetween days, but it's just good to be out of the house more than anything. Any reason for the lack of sleep?

I got this from Go Outdoors which was only about £30. Its lightweight and breathable, although to be honest i very rarely wear anything. My runs aren't really long enough than being wet in just a t shirt is an issue.
https://rab.equipment/uk/vital-windshell-jacket#product-description

I need to remember my HR strap more often, decided to throw in some inpromptu sprints at the end of todays run and at the end of each spring my HR showed 150 and then kept rising during recovery because it was so out of sync.

Soldato
I'm currently doing 5x3km consecutive runs a week as opposed to more usual 3x5km routine with a day break in between and frankly prefer the latter from recovery point of view.

Once I have few weeks of consistent 15km a week mileage, will start throwing some 10k runs in February. Maybe should start doing some of those hill sprints that y'all talk about so have structure to my training rather than aimless running.

Caporegime
Thats a good idea. Could always do part run part walk on the inbetween days, but it's just good to be out of the house more than anything. Any reason for the lack of sleep?

I got this from Go Outdoors which was only about £30. Its lightweight and breathable, although to be honest i very rarely wear anything. My runs aren't really long enough than being wet in just a t shirt is an issue.
https://rab.equipment/uk/vital-windshell-jacket#product-description

I need to remember my HR strap more often, decided to throw in some inpromptu sprints at the end of todays run and at the end of each spring my HR showed 150 and then kept rising during recovery because it was so out of sync.

These shells mostly stop the wind, so it is good wheb it is freezing cold and windy, or wet and blustery. They aren't waterproof so you get soaked pretty quick when raining, but the shell acts a bit like a wetsuit then and stops the wind transporting your body heat away.

Caporegime
Yeah, he did say he didn't want full waterproof, so thought something like that would fit the bill. Does just enough without being unbearable.

yeah, i was helping emphasize the advantage/usage of such a jacket.

Completely waterproof jackets are pointless ubéess you are running in the wild up mountains

Soldato
Ah sorry, i took it wrong.

Agreed, i spent a small fortune on my Montane one and everytime i've worn it, i've taken it off after 10 minutes because i'm too hot. It's just there to pass any equipment checks, same as my taped seam trousers. I'm pretty sure they still have the label on!

Soldato
The way I start sweating after 20 minutes, I see waterproof jackets pretty pointless since I don't run long distances anyway.

For hiking it's a different proposition of course, in fact want to start looking at something better than my North Face thing as that's very average.

Associate
I have had one instance where I could really have done with a full waterproof top. However, it was raining so much at the time that the water was squirting out of my shoes when I put them down. I just worked out my quickest escape route and went home. I think one of those triathlon wetsuits might have been a better bet.

Soldato
A bit above the £50 mark, but I recently treated myself to an OMM Kamleika waterproof jacket. It's fully waterproof and very breathable and has been ideal for some runs recently in the cold and wet.

I think as DP has said, a waterproof is probably only properly needed for long runs in the hills and it's really more of a luxury than necessity for my evening runs, but I've no complaints. Certainly hasn't caused me to sweat in these winter temperatures and kept me dry in some pretty grim rain!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Unless your doing the Marv thing and heading out where bears eat you, spending bags of money is not really worth it. Nothing is going to stop you getting wet, just get something to stop the wind, that you cant stand in the shower with after to get it clean :)

Soldato
Speaking of selling old trainers on eBay, someone bought my Brooks Revel 3 for £20 with almost 400 miles on them so works out an even better deal for me :D

Soldato
Great work.

I've created a route to run again with a mate. He suggested i pick him up, run from my house to his, then he'll run me back. It's always better to have an out and back. This is similar to the route i did when i went to pick my dads car up. Although i've added around 5 miles and added in a few hefty climbs to take in Darwen Tower, Rivington Pike and Peel Tower.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/48571684

Getting excited just thinking about it :D

Soldato
Thanks for the jacket advice. I'll go for something cheap to keep the wind off. I definitely don't run far / long enough to need anything waterproof.

I actually picked up a jacket for £10 from lidl today. It would do the job nicely if the sleeves weren't hideously long. This isn't a 'thing' on all running jackets is it?

Great work.

I've created a route to run again with a mate. He suggested i pick him up, run from my house to his, then he'll run me back. It's always better to have an out and back. This is similar to the route i did when i went to pick my dads car up. Although i've added around 5 miles and added in a few hefty climbs to take in Darwen Tower, Rivington Pike and Peel Tower.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/48571684

Getting excited just thinking about it :D

Having walked most of that at various times... You're mental!

Soldato
Neither my windproof or full waterproof sleeves are too long. They also seem to have elasticated wrists to hold them in place. The only running top i have with stupid sleeve length is a TCA long sleeve half zip top. So definitely not a usual thing. Unless you have short arms? :p

Yeah, i run around it quite often, well mainly the Darwen side these days, although i do love the stepping stones going over from Great Hill to Rivington. One of my favourite running trails.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Wow Martyn, that's some climbing! Nice route.

We've have some great snow up here in Barnoldswick again. My Inov8 Trailroc 285s are super impressive on the slippy stuff although they could be more waterproof.

I'm furloughed Fridays so sat plotting a semi-trail route up Weets Hill tomorrow then seeing where I can get to.Prospective route is a disappointing 10 miles, I wanted more. I have no fancy watch for GPS so doing it by memory so likey gonna go off track somewhere in the snow. The return leg is just the canal though just for the sake of not overdoing it. Not sure where my fitness is at, not that I'm in any rush. Might add a few miles on the other end to make it a half.

Also, top tip for panning; Bing Maps has an OS view so you can see paths, trigs and landmarks.

Soldato
Yeah, it'll be interesting, especially as i'll be with a mate who's probably 30kg lighter than me so doesn't struggle on the hills quite so much!

It's annoying when you try and create a route and it's less than you had hoped, and you end up just adding distance at the end in boring places just for the sake of it. I'm aiming to get back to Clough Head in Haslingden on Saturday, park up and run along the Rossendale Way, the plan is to hit around 8miles then just turn around and run back. From what i saw on a walk last week it's well signposted.

Will check out Bing Maps, i tend to alternate between Garmin Connect and Strava, but they both have their limits. If i could merge them together it'd be excellent!

My left foots been a bit off this week, annoyingly in 3 separate places.

1 - The plantar tenden under the arch, starts off stiff in the morning and then eases, which apparently is the sign it's an issue.
2 - The top of my foot on the outside, feels sore to the touch, not sure if i'd laced some trainers a bit tight and it's caused bruising
3 - My achilles felt tight and painful just walking around the house.

Luckily seems to be easing since i've not ran since Tuesday, hoping a short easy run at dinner will give me an idea of how it'll be on a longer run tomorrow. Still annoying though.

Back
Top Bottom