odysee - supposedly a viable alternative to YouTube?

Associate
A bit rough seems adequate description. Youtube is fine to me productivity wise. It probably needs to support its creators more, and stop with the political siding, and just ban all politics.

I used to use Vimeo, but even now it's very clunky, really not worth paying for.

More competition if odysee hangs around is only a good thing in my eyes.

Associate
Let's be honest here - YT has got the market locked and I don't see that changing for a very long time, even if someone does put out a viable (i.e. not 'a bit rough') alternative. I'm all for competition, but I don't see anyone ending the dominance of YT.

Soldato
First i've heard of it

That's the problem. YouTube isn't a complex site. All it does is allow uploading and viewing of videos, pretty much any web developer could knock up a viable alternative very quickly.
It's getting knowledge out and people to use it that's the hard part.

Soldato
That's the problem. YouTube isn't a complex site. All it does is allow uploading and viewing of videos, pretty much any web developer could knock up a viable alternative very quickly.
Well, that and the fact that YouTube is a viable way for content creators to earn a living.

Caporegime
Server bandwidth and capacity not a major problem then?

Soldato
There seems to be a lot of alternatives. But they tend to be oversaturated with political content.

I don't think Youtube have it locked in. I think they are the incumbent and have the benefit of being part of peoples routine. But the more they end up shafting their video creators of all genres, and they leave, Yt will fade out.

I think the alternatives are going to have to fight it out between each other.

Soldato
I guess Amazon, Netflix, iPlayer, or the existing broadcasters may be closer than a startup. They already have an incumbent fan base and a lot of the infra in place. Twitch is very close?

Unless you have the clout to monetize you will struggle.

What's the one linus tech tips pointed to?

Soldato

maybe from a programming point of view. but where youtube's real power lies is in infrastructure, they have the servers, they have the advertising contracts, and they have the userbase of both content creators and audience that has a lot of inertia.

the thing is, for the vast majority of people youtube just offers them exactly what they want at a cost they're happy to accept (ie the relatively low amount of adverts compared to mainstream media)

Soldato
they have the advertising contracts, and they have the userbase of both content creators and audience that has a lot of inertia.

That's exactly my point. There's thousands of examples like the OP of people setting up video sharing websites. It's not a difficult technical issue on YouTube's website which is stopping alternatives, it's everything else they've built up around the brand.

Soldato
OP

is this another one of those "influencer owned sites" because youtube is greedy?

He says it's got a fresh coat of paint and looks glorious (which it doesn't) so maybe he is just using his Blog as a Shill?

To be honest i flicked through it as i struggle to concentrate on his Blogs these days with his presenting style.

Caporegime
And not showing ads every couple of mins lol. Absolutely annoys me that I’m in the middle of watching a video and just before it gets to an important bit, an ad cuts in lol.

And no I don’t want to pay for the premium version. I used the free trial and it was great but not great enough to warrant the monthly charge.

Caporegime
And not showing ads every couple of mins lol. Absolutely annoys me that I’m in the middle of watching a video and just before it gets to an important bit, an ad cuts in lol.

And no I don’t want to pay for the premium version. I used the free trial and it was great but not great enough to warrant the monthly charge.

Computer forum and you don't know how to use an add blocker!?

Back
Top Bottom