Renault 5 Reborn As Electric Supermini

Soldato
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/renault-5-reborn-electric-supermini

Thoughts on this? I remember when I was just a young lad, my uncle bought a Renault 5 GT Turbo. It was pretty rapid as far as I remember.

I think this remake fits in with the typical EV look nowadays. It would be nice if they could sharpen the features and make it look a bit more aggressive, but doesn't look too bad.

renault_5_prototype_9hr00_14012021_4.jpg

And for comparison:

5lB-0lXTKoWEsdfdd_4C-b_lkXwpsP4TRPRz7rGvhVOvqs9gM4rZeg6eDNosNfGAhWlRNfVQcAnmYuHNubQjR1v0E4Uhcdht1UDRMbxCr7Cmi8DdnzLOZFBvz4NDMLBBlxoKY0gPDmiYTigd3QVcT4TnlyRg8zH9lWWG4qdP3HyKG9RN_UZexSSpqUDar8KkoL7UvdFXggBLmOvFZDA

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw this article yesterday.

In my opinion it looks great. I'm a big fan of electric cars and I think this fits into the lineup nicely.

I think it gives a great modern twist on the classic along with giving a slight nod to the Clio V6 with the wider arches.

Soldato
Looks silly with the gigantic wheels but that's to be expected on a prototype. Thinking if it gets released maybe more like a Honda E? Not a bad thing in my eyes.

Soldato
I like it as far as EVs go, remember steering away from the 5GT due to them destroying turbo's, also didn't the Clio 16v have a reputation for eating head gaskets more so than the Rover 16v engines? seem to remember my mate having it done a couple of times.

Soldato
I think it looks great but we'll have to wait until the production model has gone through the dilution process. Take the Honda-E, it looks good but the concept looked so much better.

Soldato
What's interesting about the Honda-E is that they more-or-less completed the production car, then started work on the concept!

I understand work on the Renault was only started 6 months or so ago, which means the production car is likely some way off - I think I've seen 'before 2025' as a timescale?

Soldato
My thoughts are everyone will be disappointed when it arrives as a bog standard Renault 5 successor and not a Renault 5 Turbo successor.

Soldato
What's interesting about the Honda-E is that they more-or-less completed the production car, then started work on the concept!

I understand work on the Renault was only started 6 months or so ago, which means the production car is likely some way off - I think I've seen 'before 2025' as a timescale?

Seven fully electric cars by 2025, one will be the new 5.

Quite excited by it, my first car was a Renault 5 GT Campus (GT badge stuck on as I aspired to a GT Turbo).

Back
Top Bottom