While I wait for my Union to reply.. I have a question.

Soldato
So my employer in their infinite wisdom and despite record profits since March 2020 have decided to introduce some snapshot changes to our employment contracts (very little notice and zero negotiation).

This consist of 2 primary changes.

1. Extension of the working day by an addition 2 hours from 6am to 11pm (shift work split into morning/afternoon. Previously it was 7am to 10pm, how the shifts will be split under the extended hours isn't yet know but it could mean an additional hour or more onto each drivers day.

2. Scrapping the drivers incentive scheme introduced 3 years ago. As it stand drivers are paid a base rate and also earn a small bonus for good driving, for many drivers this has been a reliable source of income. I personally have had the bonus every month since it was introduced.

My main concern is hearing from some of the drivers who have agreed to change of hours and now has them working a night shift, leading straight into a morning shift. Meaning less than 8 hours (even less when you factor in travel time home etc).

So my question is I know they can change our hours with little recourse but the law still requires 11 hours in a 24 hour perioud right?

Can a regular bonus that has been awarded consistently over a long period of time be considered regular pay? If they scrap it, its an effective pay cut for most of our drivers.

For clarification I'm a delivery driver for a supermarket chain, and it's been crazy year where work loads have increased substantially.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure they can do what they wish with the bonus scheme and it can't be considered regular pay.

Our bonus scheme comes with clear caveats that it's at the discretion of the business and they can choose to remove the bonus if they wish. Does your contract mention something similar in its terms around the good driving bonus?

Soldato
Sounds like they want you to essentially work longer for less money, times are tough at the minute but I would be looking for a new job!

Soldato
OP
This.

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

The only time of the year my employer would turn a blind eye for it is during Xmas pressure, but if cross that line twice in a week, overtime ban for few weeks.

The rules are slightly different for delivery drivers, but even then it could certainly be questioned. EG breaks, were lucky to get 15 minutes uninterupted scheduled in an 8 hour shift, they go under the assumption that when we return to collect our second load we take a break then, which is just impossible due to the time restraints put on us to get the vehicle reloaded and back out on the road.

Back
Top Bottom