Netflix movies for 2021, RIP cinema.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So looks like Netflix are really ramping up movies this year. Loads of big budget big name movies that you would have watched in Cinemas in days gone by, now straight to the living room.

What do people think? Is Cinema threatened by this? And which movies caught your attention.

Soldato
yess I read the list
saying that .. the new movie with a meeting between luther-king/C-Clay/Cooke - one night or something does sound interesting
Action
Army of the Dead
Awake
Kate
Outside the Wire (January 15)
Red Notice
Sweet Girl

Horror
Fear Street Trilogy
No One Gets Out Alive
There’s Someone Inside Your House
Things Heard and Seen

Thriller
Blood Red Sky
Beckett
Escape from Spiderhead
Intrusion
Munich
O2
Night Teeth
The Swarm
The Woman in the Window

Sci-Fi
Stowaway

Romance
A Castle For Christmas
Fuimos Canciones
Kissing Booth 3
Love Hard
The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Princess Switch 3
To All The Boys: Always and Forever
Untitled Alicia Keys Rom-Com

Drama
Beauty
Blonde
Bombay Rose
Bruised
Concrete Cowboy
Fever Dream
Malcolm & Marie (February 5)
Monster
Penguin Bloom (January 27)
Pieces of Woman (January 7)
The Dig (January 29)
The Guilty
The Hand of God
The Power of the Dog
The Starling
The White Tiger (January 22)
Unt. Alexandre Moratto Film
Unt. Graham King

Western
The Harder They Fall

Comedy
8 Rue de l’Humanité
Afterlife of the Party
Bad Trip
Don’t Look Up
Double Dad
I Care A Lot (February 19)
Moxie (March 3)
The Last Mercenary
Thunder Force

Family
A Boy Called Christmas
A Winter’s Tale from Shaun the Sheep
Back to the Outback
Finding ‘Ohana (January 29)
Loud House
Nightbooks
Robin Robin
Skater Girl
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans
Wish Dragon
YES DAY (March 12)

Musical
A Week Away
tick, tick…BOOM

Soldato
I for one will immediately start going back to cinema as soon as:
1. It is safe and I've had my jab
2. There are films to see
I personally believe the death of cinema has been greatly exaggerated, as it has been for a number of years now.

Soldato
End of cinema, nah. That'll happen when all the studios are knocking out is marvel remakes.

I think Netflix need to focus on quality rather than quantity, some of their recent stuff is crap. I've cancelled my sub due to the increase anyway.

Commissario
Warner Bros already did a deal last Nov/Dec to show their entire 2021 release catalogue on HBO Max. I believe Nolan and Villeneuve are livid.
Aye

IIRC WB seem to have made the decision without consulting many of the directors which might prove problematic given the contracts/how accounting is worked out for films (which usually shafts the actors/writers etc even when the film brings in many times it's production cost in ticket sales).

I don't think this is going to be the end of cinema, any more than TV was the end of it, or the start of home video, or streaming in general
For most people there is still something about going to watch a properly presented film, on a huge screen with the full sound and the company of friends that you don't really get at home unless you're lucky enough to have a large room you can set aside just for it, and outfit it with much better screens/sound that is normal (and set it up correctly).

Soldato
You don't need to be in a cinema to watch media just like you don't need to be in a sit down restaurant to eat.

Which is why they're all shut down as unnecessary luxuries in a time of avoiding people being bunched up anywhere.

But when they're open it's a nice experience that people are likely to still want to pay for afterwards.

Caporegime
I've seen several that I would have happily paid to see. Gerald's Game, Apostle, The Babysitter, I Am Mother, The Cloverfield Paradox. I don't think their hit rate is any better or worse than most studios tbh.

Soldato
I've seen several that I would have happily paid to see. Gerald's Game, Apostle, The Babysitter, I Am Mother, The Cloverfield Paradox. I don't think their hit rate is any better or worse than most studios tbh.

I'll have to check those out as I don't think I've seen any of them apart from the Cloverfield Paradox - I enjoyed it but I wouldn't have went to the cinema to see it.

From memory i've watched Bright, Birdbox, Project Power, Game Over Man (Absolutely Hilarious), El Camino and probably a few others. I never regret watching them but I never felt like they're the kind of movies I'd go watch in the cinema. In fact Birdbox felt like a budget version of A Quiet Place

Actually, The Irishman was fantastic, apart from the dodgy CGI.

Soldato
It won't be the end of cinema. Netflix are just rubbing it in whilst they can.

I think that, combined with the Pandemic, there will be a big reduction to the amount of screen by 2022 as the massive chains just can't sustain the constant losses of having 2-3 multiplexes closed (or barely open) in every city for another year. So while Netflix alone won't "kill" cinema, and never will, I think there's a good chance that the damage both Streaming AND Covid combined can do means the number of cinema's will drop drastically in 2022.

Soldato
I think that, combined with the Pandemic, there will be a big reduction to the amount of screen by 2022 as the massive chains just can't sustain the constant losses of having 2-3 multiplexes closed (or barely open) in every city for another year. So while Netflix alone won't "kill" cinema, and never will, I think there's a good chance that the damage both Streaming AND Covid combined can do means the number of cinema's will drop drastically in 2022.
Yep. And I'm fine with that!

Sidenote, industry news still talking about Netflix's absolutely huge $15bn of debt which there seems no hope of eradicating. Granted, many companies run on massive debts but Netflix are going to get to the point where there are no new subscribers to attain and that will mean investors less and less keen on constantly pumping money into them. Their content bill (productions and aquisitions, presumably) is reported to be $17bn for 2020. Insane.

Permabanned
Yep. And I'm fine with that!

Sidenote, industry news still talking about Netflix's absolutely huge $15bn of debt which there seems no hope of eradicating. Granted, many companies run on massive debts but Netflix are going to get to the point where there are no new subscribers to attain and that will mean investors less and less keen on constantly pumping money into them. Their content bill (productions and aquisitions, presumably) is reported to be $17bn for 2020. Insane.

I remember reading an article some time ago about how that debt was necessary spending for Netflix to remain top dog. The money needed to license streaming rights as well as produce what now must be 100s of their own IPs was needed early on to establish themselves as the dominant platform for years.

I doubt they're in any immediate trouble. The brand is just too well established to disappear at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom