• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eGPU upgrade for GTX 1070 laptop

Associate
I have an Alienware laptop with a GTX1070. I also have an Alienware eGPU for an upgrade. I was thinking RTX 2080 or better to make it worthwhile but I know that eGPUs suffer the bottleneck from limited PCIe bandwidth.
My question is whether the performance (i) suddenly caps off meaning that you don't get anything like the performance you would if in a desktop or (ii) does it reduce gradually. eg a 3070 would perform much the same as a 2080
If the former then what card maxes the performance?
If the latter then what card is the sweet spot before diminishing returns become too great?

Associate
OP
I got a 3060ti and trying to use the Alienware GPU enclosure but the PC hangs on the log in screen. It continues to hang even after unplugging the eGPU. So then I have to boot into safe mode and re-install nvidia drivers to get back into PC. Any ideas?

Associate
OP
there is, change log says its for security patches no mention of the eGPU. should do anyway and maybe it'll help. I'm reading that the RTX3000 cards arent supported by the eGPU and Dell say the enclosure is end of life so won't get updated drivers. I was so happy to get the 3060ti and now I will have to send it back.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
At least update the BIOS and try it first?

It may not be supported but that doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t work. Possibly, but you won’t know unless you try.

Back
Top Bottom