Untitled Survival Game - Feedback Wanted

Soldato
So I started working on a browser based survival game just before Christmas and it's really taken shape over the last week or so.

I think it's in a state now where I would like to show it off to get some honest brutal feedback.

Let me know what you think. It's by no means finished and I have a lot more planned for it.

Audio logs to find from survivors, hunting, crafting and much more.

CHANGE LOG

31/07/2021
  • New: Added basic code for time progression.
22/01/2021
  • New: Dark theme! login to change to the dark theme. Click the button under your profile details..
19/01/2021
  • Status: Moving out of Pre-Alpha into Alpha. The games base code is working well. Thank you to all who have been testing and giving feedback.
  • Update: Updating descriptions for locations and direction of travel.
19/01/2021
  • Update: Enabling the paths to the rest of Phase 1 map. There are a total of 60 tiles in the game now. in a 10x6 grid. (Phase 2 I plan on adding another 40 tiles to make it 10x10.
18/01/2021
  • Update: Design tweaks and a few costmetic changes.
  • Update: Connecting paths to the other 60 locations on the map.
  • Add: New recipes for cooking along with new food sources.
  • Add: Bow and Arrow can be crafted to hunt with in certain areas.
  • New: Campfire burns down.
  • New: Add fuel to your camp fire.
17/01/2021
  • Update: Design tweaks to buttons, icons, mobile layout.
  • Add: Option to take a break to regain some energy. Without a shelter there was currently no method to regain energy.
  • New: If you're hunger and/or thirst are below a certain threshold you will start to lose health when doing any kind of activity.
  • New: If you're hunger and/or thirst are above a certain threshold you will start to gain health when resting.
16/01/2021
  • New: Crafting! Still experimental at the minute, but you can now craft a few objects from items found and foraged.
  • New: Recipes! Cooking and Boiling at the campfire just got a whole lot more complex. See if you can make my bread recipe!
  • Fix: Eating All of an item wasn't giving the correct stats.
  • Add: Additional items have been added to the world.
  • Add: Added quick stats to bottom of the page.
  • Update: Minor tweaks to descriptions have been made, this is an ongoing task.
14/01/2021
  • Overhauled the travel system, it now includes directions for travel, North, South, East, West. This should aid you in making a map.
  • Expanded the map structure from 9 tiles to 60 tiles. Only 9 are available at the minute while I build up the environments. Each tile is hand crafted, not generated. So I need to tell each tile what can be searched for, and what can be discovered in each tile.
  • Added in energy requirements to travel to certain parts of the man, the mountains will cost more energy than walking along a road for example.
14/01/2021
  • Food and water need to be above a certain point before you will start to heal when you rest.
  • Basic health added, when food and/or water is below 5 you will start to lose health
  • There are currently 2 audio logs out in the wild to find
  • New function added for audio logs
  • Mobile layout overhaul, buttons are easier to press, UI Experience has been vastly improved.
  • Addition of the Journal to read through existing chapters of the game
  • Basic implementation of of chapters
13/01/2021
  • hunger and thirst consumption when doing actions like travelling and cooking
  • Resting at shelter regains energy, but costs thirst and hunger
  • Eat food
  • Drink water, pepsi etc
  • Put out campfire
  • Abandon shelter
12/01/2021
  • Basic inventory is operational, you can search and find items, and remove them from your inventory
  • Basic search is operational, you can search and find items which get added to your inventory.
  • Added basic chance system, chance of not finding something in a search
11/01/2021
  • Added location based searches, with that location based items too. Some items can only be found in certain places.
  • Added travel, when in a location, you have options to travel to adjacent tiles.
  • A 3x3 grid map has been created. You can travel to adjacent tiles.
10/01/2021
  • Started to display data in HTML rather than raw var dumps
  • Basic API functions added
  • tested API with 2 functions, build a fire, make a shelter
09/01/2021
  • Added a basic weather system
  • Built a robust system for checking required items for objects. You can just feed a string into a function to get required items shelter.build.leanto for example.
06/01/2021
  • Added a basic html template to the site to start giving it some structure
30/10/2020
  • Some basic functions for checking if items are available in invetory to use this is the very basics of crafting started to think about skill levels for various actions
29/10/2020
  • Started with some basic objects

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I envy you! I really wish I could start game development, will check it out :) Most games I play now are browser based.

You can be a part of this game if you want. I've finished the integration of the audio logs work. Now I just need some "survivor stories" in MP3 format. So if you fancy having a story in the game, feel free to record a short audio clip and email it over :)

Other players will be able to discover and find audio logs as they search the world.

Soldato
It reminds me a lot of the text based commodore games I used to play, so this is right at home. I'm having lunch soon I will check it out again later. Audio clips I can do, but have got a slight speech issue, mainly with the "s" sound. But it's nothing drastic. Just a slight lisp.

Soldato
OP
It reminds me a lot of the text based commodore games I used to play, so this is right at home. I'm having lunch soon I will check it out again later. Audio clips I can do, but have got a slight speech issue, mainly with the "s" sound. But it's nothing drastic. Just a slight lisp.

Nowt wrong with that mate, it would be a pretty boring world if we all looked and sounded the same wouldn't it. Being different is what makes us who we are.

The audio clip can be anything you want. Just put yourself in the mindset of a lost survivor leaving a message for someone to find. They will all be anonymous and just referenced as numbers in the game Audio Log: #001 for example.

Soldato
Just had a quick blast, text adventures are far from my thing but found myself happily clicking away collecting resources. I'm very much a visual person so not your target audience but I'd be lured back if there was some art work added for the environment or items. Again I'm guessing I'm not who you are targeting but they may entice a few people like myself to give it a go/spend more time playing.

Soldato
OP
Just had a quick blast, text adventures are far from my thing but found myself happily clicking away collecting resources. I'm very much a visual person so not your target audience but I'd be lured back if there was some art work added for the environment or items. Again I'm guessing I'm not who you are targeting but they may entice a few people like myself to give it a go/spend more time playing.

It's my 2021 resolution to learn Unreal Engine. So I can at least generate some 3D environments for the game. :)

There's definitely will be graphics added at some point though.

Soldato
I did play something very similar on Android so i like this too.

All that water but nothing to put it in. I had a can of coke so drank that, no empty can appears though.

Is there a crafting option so I could make a rudimentary fishing rod?

I caught a rabbit and cooked it, then ate it. No idea how much food it provided though as it maxed out.

I could lose hours in this though when I should be working.

Associate
Yeah same as above, I'm struggling to find any water/dirty water that I can use. Plus can't seem to find the way to make a fishing rod. Using the snares and searching for other items seems ok so far.

Not sure on the idea of only having a shelter & campfire in a single area. Maybe in the future if the campfire expired after a certain amount of time or needed to be topped up with fresh wood, just something to keep the effort up as the firesteel seems to make the other options needless and more of an inconvenience having to go to and from areas. Plus if you could build multiple shelters but they needed to be maintained (weather damage, materials degrading etc.) might be a way to go.

I'm also not getting a good sense of time progression, would be nice to have a simple clock that progresses with each action (my days progressed is stuck at 0 :D)

Soldato
OP
Thirst seems to be oddly balanced. I eat something, and my thirst goes negative. I'm at small stream, but try as a might - I can't find any water.

I've added a new option to search the water. Theres always a chance you won't find water.

I did play something very similar on Android so i like this too.

All that water but nothing to put it in. I had a can of coke so drank that, no empty can appears though.

Is there a crafting option so I could make a rudimentary fishing rod?

I caught a rabbit and cooked it, then ate it. No idea how much food it provided though as it maxed out.

I could lose hours in this though when I should be working.

There are pot's scattered around the map, you just have to search for them. You won't find them "outside"

Also, dumped in some stats when you eat an item to show how much you gain.

Yeah same as above, I'm struggling to find any water/dirty water that I can use. Plus can't seem to find the way to make a fishing rod. Using the snares and searching for other items seems ok so far.

Not sure on the idea of only having a shelter & campfire in a single area. Maybe in the future if the campfire expired after a certain amount of time or needed to be topped up with fresh wood, just something to keep the effort up as the firesteel seems to make the other options needless and more of an inconvenience having to go to and from areas. Plus if you could build multiple shelters but they needed to be maintained (weather damage, materials degrading etc.) might be a way to go.

I'm also not getting a good sense of time progression, would be nice to have a simple clock that progresses with each action (my days progressed is stuck at 0 :D)

The end goal is to have all of that, the time progression too. At the minute, days survived is days since you first created your player. So tomorrow, you will of survived 1 day. There's options to add fuel to the fire, but they just dont work yet. Also yes, there will be things running on the server that will change your shelter and fire values, so fires will eventually expire and shelters will need repairing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been enjoying this. Found a tiny bug. When you cook your last raw rabbit, you get the message;
The cooked the last Rabbit (raw) instead of You cooked the last Rabbit (raw)

Soldato
OP
Some noteworthy changes from the weekend. Crafting has been added in an experimental phase to test.

17/01/2021
  • Update: Design tweaks to buttons, icons, mobile layout.
16/01/2021
  • New: Crafting! Still experimental at the minute, but you can now craft a few objects from items found and foraged.
  • New: Recipes! Cooking and Boiling at the campfire just got a whole lot more complex. See if you can make my bread recipe!
  • Fix: Eating All of an item wasn't giving the correct stats.
  • Add: Additional items have been added to the world.
  • Add: Added quick stats to bottom of the page.
  • Update: Minor tweaks to descriptions have been made, this is an ongoing task.

Back
Top Bottom