Soldato
I am currently on a 3 day facebook ban. I wouldn't be arsed about it but I use it for company pages and groups, which is really annoying. Why did I get banned? Well they have rolled out this new auto mod bot which scans posts and determines if it's appropriate or not. You think it is a good thing, but I was chatting with someone on a post, within a private group and used a rude word. It wasn't directed it anyone, it was merely used in conversation. (the group was rate my plate savage edition, so most threads are pretty funny anyway) but this bot just said I was accused of bullying and harassment. It wasn't a reported post, no one complained, it was their **** of an algorithm that is now taking out of context text and banning people. I can see this being a downward spiral for FB if I'm honest. The only thing they have going for it is the number of people reach, which I realise I could probably get better on somewhere like reddit, but maybe not a lot of "normies" I try and reach with business pages. Stupid ass company..

I think someone needs some moderation here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The rule is about circumventing filters - so the example I quoted broke the rule. It shows moderation and rules are applied in a manner that isn't consistent... I could quote examples where I have seen users told not to circumvent filters but to do so I might be accused of doing that myself.

Don
The rule is about circumventing filters - so the example I quoted broke the rule. It shows moderation and rules are applied in a manner that isn't consistent... I could quote examples where I have seen users told not to circumvent filters but to do so I might be accused of doing that myself.

It's as consistent as it can be, bearing in mind we can't read everything, this is what the report function is for :)

*goes off to moderate aforementioned post*

Soldato
Does anyone else often find themselves (anon) browsing some forum or other, and being amazed (horrified) at how many of the posters have "banned" under their forum name?

There are some places (Escapist mag forums for instance), where in a typical thread, 90% of the posters went on to be banned :p

It makes me laugh but also saddens me. I'm a big free speech advocate, and I'm naturally drawn to more chaotic forums which have little/no moderation. I also think there is a need for places where you can post completely anon without needing to sign up. Where people can be almost completely free to do whatever daft crap they like. Places like 4chan.

But more than that, you often find on these (tightly moderated) platforms, that people end up perma-banned for a single mistake that somebody decided was deserving of (virtual) death sentence.

I wonder if many of these places or moderators realise the effect of cutting people off from communities they have invested themselves in, for one incident that they don't approve of.

Also I'm not talking in any way about these forums. I don't notice lots of people being banned here (besides the bots).
a computer games forum surely needs to be family friendly? as such I would expect tighter moderation that other forums which are aimed at a more mature audience.
that said in any private forum their house their rules and if you don't like it don't sign up

edit just noticed the age of the thread..nepic necro!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom