• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official 5600X \5800X owners thread***

Associate
I have just bought a 5600x also (upgrading from a six year old PC intel I7-4790).

Need an inexpensive motherboard, considering a B450 Tomahawk but not sure if I should spend the extra for a B550 or X570 chipset?

Components purchased so far:

Lian Li LANCOOL 205M MicroATX Mid Tower Case
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold

and then will chuck in from my current build

Sapphire Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB PULSE
SanDisk SSD PLUS 480 GB Sata III

Any thoughts much appreciated as it's been a very long time since I last build a PC from scratch, quite excited tbh!

EDIT - just pulled the trigger on a MSI MAG B550m Mortar motherboard and a 1tb Adata XPG Gammix S50 Lite 1TB M.2-2280 SSD. Just need to decide if the stock CPU cooler will be enough or worth buying a separate aftermarket one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got my 5800x installed in a Rog Strix B550-F and it's running great. I haven't overclocked I'm just using all auto settings with the DOCP enabled. I'm getting scores around 5978 in Cinebench R20, I'm guessing that's within normal score levels? Not sure if I want to try using PBO or Curve optimiser are they really worth it?

Soldato
Not sure if I want to try using PBO or Curve optimiser are they really worth it?

Not worth it in my opinion. The performance gains are trivial (<10%) but the power use / temperature rise is significant. Also concerns about chip degradation. I've been overclocking for some 30 years, from a Pentium 60 @ 66MHz and including real stars like the Celeron 300A at 464MHz and the E4300 1.8GHz C2D at 3.4GHz. Those were real night and day performance jumps, taking a budget chip to the performance levels of the then state of the art. This potential just doesn't exist with modern chips like Zen 3. I'll be leaving my 5600X stock and enjoying the very cool, quiet and efficient CPU it is.

Soldato
Just got my 5800x installed in a Rog Strix B550-F and it's running great. I haven't overclocked I'm just using all auto settings with the DOCP enabled. I'm getting scores around 5978 in Cinebench R20, I'm guessing that's within normal score levels? Not sure if I want to try using PBO or Curve optimiser are they really worth it?
Its worth using curve optimizer as that undervolts so the CPU uses less power and runs cooler but realworld performance gains are hardly noticable outside of benchmarks, just don't use the scaler or motherboard limits.

Just need to decide if the stock CPU cooler will be enough or worth buying a separate aftermarket one.

Even a cheap £25 budget cooler will outperform the stock AMD by 15c while running much quieter so worth it imo.

Where is the new curve optimiser

Have a look in Settings > Advanced > AMD overclocking then set Precision boost overdrive to advanced and this should unlock the curve optimizer menu.

Last edited:
Associate
I just got my 5800X, super happy overall, however my performance in Cinebench R20 seems to be pretty awful.

In multi-core I'm getting 5394. Average all-core frequency is around 4350MHz, gets to 4375 just barely, sometimes drops below.
In single-core I'm getting around 639 which I think is good, the best core goes all the way up to 4975MHz, which is also "fine".

CPU reaches around 81 degrees during the multi-core test, and around 71 during the single-core.

I tried tweaking PBO and related:
PPT = 125
TDC = 75
EDC = 110
CO = -5 for the best cores and -20 for everything else
Boost override = 150MHz

Everything else at "Auto" or default. Memory is 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 (XMP profile).

I am worried the motherboard is at fault here - Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming X470 - it's running old AGESA 1.1.0.0 and hasn't been updated since the launch of Ryzen 5000. Cooler is Corsair H100i. First time I mounted it I saw high temps and was worried it was messed up, so remoted it (re-did thermal paste).

Any chance anyone has same motherboard and CPU?

Soldato
I just got my 5800X, super happy overall, however my performance in Cinebench R20 seems to be pretty awful.

In multi-core I'm getting 5394. Average all-core frequency is around 4350MHz, gets to 4375 just barely, sometimes drops below.
In single-core I'm getting around 639 which I think is good, the best core goes all the way up to 4975MHz, which is also "fine".

CPU reaches around 81 degrees during the multi-core test, and around 71 during the single-core.

I tried tweaking PBO and related:
PPT = 125
TDC = 75
EDC = 110
CO = -5 for the best cores and -20 for everything else
Boost override = 150MHz

Everything else at "Auto" or default. Memory is 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 (XMP profile).

I am worried the motherboard is at fault here - Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming X470 - it's running old AGESA 1.1.0.0 and hasn't been updated since the launch of Ryzen 5000. Cooler is Corsair H100i. First time I mounted it I saw high temps and was worried it was messed up, so remoted it (re-did thermal paste).

Any chance anyone has same motherboard and CPU?
Try changing EDC to 125 and TDC to 85.

Could also be down to the corsair software hogging resources.

Associate

Wow, what the hell. I change EDC and TDC as you said - basically no change (+60 on the multi-core score). Then I found every single Corsair thing running and killed it, and it jumped to 5814 from 5394! Thank you!!!

Soldato

Yep you have to be careful with the software that is running. With EVGA PrecisionX running it dropped my score about 20 points.

Its worth using curve optimizer as that undervolts so the CPU uses less power and runs cooler but realworld performance gains are hardly noticable outside of benchmarks, just don't use the scaler or motherboard limits.

Even a cheap £25 budget cooler will outperform the stock AMD by 15c while running much quieter so worth it imo.

Have a look in Settings > Advanced > AMD overclocking then set Precision boost overdrive to advanced and this should unlock the curve optimizer menu.

Does using PBO not void your warranty though?

Soldato
Hey guys need some advice. I've just purchased a 5600X, is it just a simple BIOS update on my B550 Tomahawk and away it goes? Also my memory is 3600Mhz too, no memory issues to report on?

Soldato
Well, I've just updated my bios and enabled pbo 2.0 on my 5800x using a negative 30 curve and I seem to have err done something right?

586OFGE.png
lol

seem to be consistently getting around 4.7 all core boost with pbo 2.0 on heavy workloads while keeping temperatures around 10c lower than pbo 1

Also managed to get rank 12 overall gpu and cpu score lol

Caporegime
Well, I've just updated my bios and enabled pbo 2.0 on my 5800x using a negative 30 curve and I seem to have err done something right?

586OFGE.png
lol

seem to be consistently getting around 4.7 all core boost with pbo 2.0 on heavy workloads while keeping temperatures around 10c lower than pbo 1

Good isn't it? :D

Soldato
Good isn't it? :D
PBO 2.0 is so much better haha
CPU isn't half bad either :p

7KzYllO.png

This can't be right surely lol? i'm 72nd out of 66 thousand odd people and all i did was enable pbo haha. Maybe its my ram bumping it up? runnng 3733 14-15-12-8-22 34

Last edited:
Underboss

Got it thank you. Having a play around with 125, 88, 125 and a negative curve of -20 on all cores at the moment.

Lots more tinkering to do, is it better to set say -5/-10 on my best core for single core boost? I think from reading so far it is a good starting point for single core.

Soldato

586OFGE.png
lol

Nice. What BIOS settings?
-30 on all cores or any other specific settings like PBO limits?
What cooling do you have?
What temps?

best I can do that seems to be fully stable is 13,388

Soldato
Nice. What BIOS settings?
-30 on all cores or any other specific settings like PBO limits?
What cooling do you have?
What temps?

best I can do that seems to be fully stable is 13,388
Literally just negative 30 all core Like in the video, using a 420mm Arctic freezer II.

I get around 80c full load in cine bench r23

Soldato
Literally just negative 30 all core Like in the video, using a 420mm Arctic freezer II.

I get around 80c full load in cine bench r23
Beast of a cooler, the 280 freezer II wouldnt even fit in my case!

Large case I take it? Mine needs an upgrade really as its over 10 years old now - Fractal design R2

80c is quite high for that cooler but you do have great results.

What R23 multi and single core scores do you get?

I (think) i’m settling on power limited PBO, max temps around 70c on air (Noctua u14-s) and reasonably good multi and single core scores. (PPT 125w, TDC 75A, EDC 110A)

Gaming all cores boost to 5Ghz, benching around 4.6Ghz with single core boosting to 5Ghz for both

Soldato
Beast of a cooler, the 280 freezer II wouldnt even fit in my case!

Large case I take it? Mine needs an upgrade really as its over 10 years old now - Fractal design R2

80c is quite high for that cooler but you do have great results.

What R23 multi and single core scores do you get?

I (think) i’m settling on power limited PBO, max temps around 70c on air (Noctua u14-s) and reasonably good multi and single core scores. (PPT 125w, TDC 75A, EDC 110A)

Gaming all cores boost to 5Ghz, benching around 4.6Ghz with single core boosting to 5Ghz for both

cinebench doesn't crash but its throwing up an error so thinking I might not be stable after all, changed to -20 all core and I'm going to tweak from there.

Using a silent base 801 which is known for poor airflow so that is probably why my temps aren't amazing, had to mount it on the front because the radiator is so thick it hits the pci mounting plate haha.

On -30 I had it set to no core boost so it was only boosting to 4.85HZ but I'll have to see what I can do now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Using a silent base 801 which is known for poor airflow so that is probably why my temps aren't amazing, had to mount it on the front because the radiator is so thick it hits the pci mounting plate haha.
I tried mounting the 280mm in the top of my case. The radiator got stuck and scratched it a bit when i managed to get it out.
Returned and ended up with a 50% return cost so that was a lovely £50 lesson!

Maybe experiment finding your good cores, set them to lower (e.g. -5 on curve) and maybe try chsnging the PBO limits. Doing so reduces temps so boost has more to play with

Back
Top Bottom