Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Petrofac too if you trust it, seems there've been bribary allegations against one member that's been going on for years, with an update yesterday/today but not implicating anyone else.

Looking back i'm not sure what happened in 2017 to cause such a crash in their share price, but with oil looking to bounce back it could be a decent buy.

My dads very heavy on Oil and had taken a hammering over the last year, but seems he's finally now mostly recovered. He also keeps telling me about Sylvania Platinum but everytime i look i think i've missed the boat, yet it keeps flying up!

https://www.google.com/search?q=syl...1745&bih=852#scso=_vLQBYOzcJpXO1fAPk8SfmAY7:0

EDIT - With BP, i see they have 2 separate share classes. It's weird that the B class shares, seem to have increased as much as the A class shares have dropped!

Soldato
Man, wish I could call the top like that with INRG all the time!

I'm waiting until after any potential trumpist nonsense around the inauguration before I buy back into anything though.

Soldato
Yeah sorry, not going to share actual values like you have :p. Weightings are pretty even across all the funds apart from ASI Global Smaller Companies, Legal & General UK Index, Lindsell Train Global Equity, Telsa and S&P 500 which are each 2-4x.

Just to add to that, re: weightings I'm basing that on initial investment, not current value. I'm not sure what the best way to manage a portfolio is, but given the Tesla rise that now represents a significant % of my portfolio by value, but not by investment.

I guess you don't want all your eggs in one basket based on value so I should look to balance it out at some point, though I'm not planning on putting anything more into Tesla anyway.

Soldato
I almost bought it at christmas but there's a hype around metals just like EV and green energy

Yeah i thought that, he got in at 17p though so it's been one of his big success stories. The less said about his oil shares the better.

He sent me his login to Stockpedia that he subscribed to, i think i mentioned earlier in the thread he seems to be a lot of stock (pun intended), into other peoples suggestions. When i mentioned something about oil prices he seemed surprised i knew about it's trend as he had no idea. To have ~£25k in oil stocks and not know about the oil price is terrifying!

Caporegime
That Friday feeling as people dump stocks for the weekend :/

Holding all my PRSM
I'm fairly confident Monday morning there will be a spike pre market and Tues-thursday will likely be one of the best days to offload any extra

Last edited:
Caporegime
Glad it's not just me :(
Fridays always the same historically Friday when people sell and Monday is when people buy.

I guess some people are terrified of bad news over the weekend hammering their share prices or they think the market might not open again :S

Polar power is up 50% I wonder how much is to do with the description.
Polar Power, Inc. (Polar Power) deigns, manufactures and sells direct current (DC), power generators, renewable energy and cooling systems for applications primarily in the telecommunications market and, to a lesser extent, in other markets, including military, electric vehicle charging, marine and industrial. The Company's systems provide energy to service applications that do not have access to the utility grid

I bet if it said "we make generators" it would be different, cos I don't see anything in the news.

this is how desperate people are for "renewable energy" and "EV"

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, that's all the good news for now with the stimulus yesterday.

It's usually within a day....but I did have a couple of grand get 'lost' last month that took them a week to find after chasing up support.

The stimulus mostly made sod all difference. Perhaps when the houses start looking at it there might be a change.

Haha. Quotes like that certainly won't help his share price - blaming the market

Have you got your eyes on any green funds? I'm looking at the same and curious what people are using.

It can, as rumours of a listing on a main US exchange would likely be seen as a positive.

Caporegime
Petrofac too if you trust it, seems there've been bribary allegations against one member that's been going on for years, with an update yesterday/today but not implicating anyone else.

Looking back i'm not sure what happened in 2017 to cause such a crash in their share price, but with oil looking to bounce back it could be a decent buy.

My dads very heavy on Oil and had taken a hammering over the last year, but seems he's finally now mostly recovered. He also keeps telling me about Sylvania Platinum but everytime i look i think i've missed the boat, yet it keeps flying up!

https://www.google.com/search?q=syl...1745&bih=852#scso=_vLQBYOzcJpXO1fAPk8SfmAY7:0

EDIT - With BP, i see they have 2 separate share classes. It's weird that the B class shares, seem to have increased as much as the A class shares have dropped!

I got caught in the previous big PFC dip.
One of those unpredictable things. This one is more of the same.

Not sure how far this type of damage can go. But obviously enough to rattle investors.

To buy in or not?

It's a golden opportunity if the damage isn't terminal.

Soldato
NIO has taken a right kicking today. I suspect people are profit taking. And in typical fashion, I bought at the very peak of its value hoping it'd continue it run - right before it started, and continued, falling. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping this is short term and it'll continue its upward climb soon. I never invested for a short period, pretty much all my investments are medium to long term things so I guess just have to weather the day to day ups and downs and hope for long term average improvements

I'm hoping this is short term and it'll continue its upward climb soon. I never invested for a short period, pretty much all my investments are medium to long term things so I guess just have to weather the day to day ups and downs and hope for long term average improvements
Check back in 3 months. You'll either be very happy, or perhaps not, but you won't have the daily stress of watching the ups and downs.

I'm the same as you with nio. Is the only stock currently at a minus for me and it's bugging me, but 3 months is what I'm buying for not 3 days so will wait and see what happens then.

Soldato
Check back in 3 months. You'll either be very happy, or perhaps not, but you won't have the daily stress of watching the ups and downs.

I'm the same as you with nio. Is the only stock currently at a minus for me and it's bugging me, but 3 months is what I'm buying for not 3 days so will wait and see what happens then.

Yeh, I have started trying to do that, but...it's quite exciting even if you're losing (a bit) :p. When the novelty wears off, I'll probably check it much less often and not worry about the hour by hour ups and downs. Unfortunately NIO has done me over, so has INRG and a couple of others (RR - but that was always a long term play and ENT - which T212 for some reason has stopped tracking for the last 48 hours and won't allow me to buy or sell anything which is very annoying, especially when the customers services just give you the robotic answers back that don't address the complaint)

Soldato

3 months is probably short for NIO.

I've got quite a bit in Nio and I'm keeping it there, I genuinely feel like they could be the next big boy if they break into the EU market.

Soldato
Long term platinum is probably cheap but does electric cars upset that, obviously low growth globally would but even so its probably still 'cheap'. The sterling and dollar price look a lot difference because of how much we lost since the '08 boom, bitter sweet memories of 2 dollars to a pound.

twitter.com/alaidi said:
Pretty good insight usually. Its old now, looking at 10 year yield if we dont close up or hold today after yesterdays pullback it could end ideas of a rise equating to tightening in dollar and some profit taking in various assets like he talks about. Weak dollar seems to equate another 900b of spending

Last edited:
Soldato
A silly question, when looking at funds, what is the difference between an A2 and a D2 fund?

The 2 refers to "accumulation"

The letter is how its packaged up, i think for D shares the minimum investment is high, but not as higher as other classes.

I can only imagine the fee's are different, or some funds might not be available to the other classes, as you go up its more minimum investment

Edit for example https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-dis...l/lindsell-train-global-equity-class-d-income

On H&L the minimum investment is nothing, however buying those shares directly, the minimum is 200million

They also list the A shares on H&L so i am also confused as to why, you can see they charge the higher 1.15% instead of 0.5%, though they do say 0.65, maybe its outdated information

Last edited:
Associate
That makes sense. In my retirement/pension fund I have back home I have a technology fund class A2, but in my new HL account I can only find their D2 fund so that got me wondering what the difference is. Will have to check the fee's tomorrow when I got access to a proper computer again. Will also compare what the most shares are held within.

Back
Top Bottom