Help cooling system: Dan case 10900k rtx 3070: am I crazy?

Associate
DOUBLE POST, I ALSO POSTED IN 'GENERAL HARDWARE' PLEASE DELETE ONE OF THE TWO.

Hello everyone I am new here :D

After I had a bad experience with ************ I decided to build my own computer in a Dan Case (yes, portable matters to me :rolleyes:).

I am completely new to PC building and planning, but after some researches, I understood that one of the most important things is a good cooling system and I need your help.

Here the plan:

Case: Dan Case A4-SFX v4
MB: Z490 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX/TB3 (SOCKET LGA 1200) DDR4 MINI-ITX MOTHERBOARD
CPU: I9 10900k
GPU: RTX 2080, (possibly ti)
RAM:
VIPER STEEL 64GB (2X32GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT (PVS464G360C8K) (unless anything better / more suitable is recommended)
Power: Corsair SF600 600 Watt Fully Modular 80+
CPU Cooler: Here the question. I would like a Asetek 645LT AIO w/ Noctua A9x14 but it seems impossible to find it in UK. could you recommend me an equally suitable option (or even better)?
Budget is a problem up to a certain point for now, I am building a computer for work and I just want to make sure it can perform as I need. I also would downgrade some other components, but I want to forget about temperature problems :p
STORAGE: Probably a 2tb Samsung M2 (would you recommend me to have two separate ssd?)
FANS: I NEED YOUR HELP!!

Many thanks for now :D:D:D:D

Soldato
Why are you trying to use parts with such high power consumption in a SFF system??

One of the most important thing isn't cooling,its the power consumption and by extension the amount of heat dumped into the case. The issue is over time the heat will cause parts to degrade more and more,and the system will be noiser. The Dan Case and other smaller cases are not really designed for CPUs with huge power draw,hence why they can only take low profile CPU coolers. A Ghost S1 with the Tophat would take a bigger AIO water cooler,but again you are not going to get much airflow over the VRMs.

If anything I would probably get something like a Ryzen 5 5800X and run it in Eco mode in that case. Even with the GPU,unless you already have one,then maybe look at a GTX3060TI 8GB or the RTX3060 12GB. The RTX3060TI is as fast as an RTX2080 Super but consumes less power:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-founders-edition/31.html

I suspect the RTX3060 12GB will be around RTX2070 Super performance but also consume much less power. AMD would have been an option too,but the RX6700XT is delayed,and I suspect it might be the most efficient GPU of this generation,as the RX6800 is the most efficient,but very overpriced currently.

Associate
Why are you trying to use parts with such high power consumption in a SFF system??

I think for your spec you need a NCase M1, or a loop in a Formd T1. Maybe even check out sliger options, you get a handle too, making it easier to carry.

Also, is your PSU a Platinum version? I would maybe look at upgrading that to the SF750 if you ever run into issues.

Soldato
Sorry i am a little confused. It states in the thread title a RTX3070 but your spec shows a RTX2080 (Possibly ti), anyway the issue i can see you having if you did put a 3070 in that case is that i dont believe you will be able to fit the side panel with the GPU. All 3070 cards, as far as i am aware, are at lease 2.5 Slots wide. The Dan Case can fit a dual slot with no issues but this puts the fans on the intake right next to the vent holes on the side panel. If you had a 3070 i dont think there is enough room for you to fit it and put the side panel on the case.

This cooler should have no issues cooling the 10900k at stock and i believe is designed for cases such as the Dan Case A4 as the heatsink is practically flush against the side panel and the fan goes under it so it can blow air out the side of the case.

▷ Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler … | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk)

Unfortunately, you might suffer a bit of heatsoak and higher temps but thats one of the tradeoffs for such a small case with no airflow..

Soldato
Using a 2080Ti or a 3070 really isn't a problem in a Dan A4, nor is powering it as a decent 600W offering should be enough.

Where I see problems is in pairing it with a 10900k, which is a notoriously hot processor. Your best bet would probably be to try an Asetek 92mm but even then i'm not sure it would cope.

I'd be looking to put something like a Ryzen 5900X in there if you want the multi-threaded performance, or a 5600X if not. It'll be unnoticable in terms of performance difference but it would generate a lot less heat and put a lot less pressure on the PSU. The other benefit to this is that you could easily cool a 5600X with a smaller air cooler like the Alpenfohn Black Ridge.

Back
Top Bottom