• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
I've got the idle zero fan mode to work using Argus Monitor to control case fans based on GPU temp and the GPU fan is set to 'BIOS Controlled'. After gaming its spinning at 30% for 5 mins then turns the fans off. They come back on at 60C.

Zero fan mode doesn't currently work in software control fan curve mode at the moment. I think the same is true when using MSI Afterburner, I think both programs are using the Nvidia API to give commands to the card, so the problem might be down to Nvidia drivers.

Associate
I've got the idle zero fan mode to work using Argus Monitor to control case fans based on GPU temp and the GPU fan is set to 'BIOS Controlled'. After gaming its spinning at 30% for 5 mins then turns the fans off. They come back on at 60C.

Zero fan mode doesn't currently work in software control fan curve mode at the moment. I think the same is true when using MSI Afterburner, I think both programs are using the Nvidia API to give commands to the card, so the problem might be down to Nvidia drivers.

Ah so it's literally a 5 minute hard wait? I always found the fan behaviour to be a bit of a mystery.

Associate
Ah so it's literally a 5 minute hard wait? I always found the fan behaviour to be a bit of a mystery.
Yeah I haven't timed it but based on looking at my GPU-Z graph that's about right. For all we know there may be another sensor that's cooling down too, but otherwise does seem to be around 5 mins.

Associate
Well the 3090 arrived earlier after ordering around 4.30pm yesterday, it's one big heavy piece of hardware that's for sure. Installation was fine as my case is easily big enough. When it's screwed in there seems to be no sag/drop whatsoever and it just sits in there nicely.
I have yet to sort out the fan curve as I usually have it @ 1 - 1 as in 30% @ 30 degrees temp, but right now the thing is ticking over at 20 degrees with my 30% fans and with the fans off it's ticking over at around 28 degrees. I just happen to be messing with Afterburner and ICUE software to get to the fine tuning, but the power draw was around 420w under load and around 125 at idle.
As you can imagine the GPU usage was around 60 - 80% max on my 3 x 1080 144hz screens but this will change once I start the streaming.
Under load it was hitting 45 degrees max! ok it's not really taxing the system on warzone but my GTX 1080Ti extreme was hitting 55 with the same fan curve.

Just to note, using the Corsair ICUE software you can change the colour of the slight RGB accent on the top of the card (not the GEFORCE RTX Logo) also you can turn that GEFORCE RTX logo down a bit or even off.

All in all I'm very pleased with the RTX 3090 and I hope you guys enjoy your RTX Founders Edition Cards whether it be the 3060Ti, 3070, 3080 or 3090!

EDIT^^ Forgot to enable XMP profile after Bios update hence the Ram frequency lol

Last edited:
Associate
Dope.

What y'all doing about that ugly, ugly 12-pin adaptor we get? I only have a 3070, so one pci-e feeding into it. Half-tempted to buy some molex pin extractors and rewire the 12 pin plug with my cables.

Anyone done something/ bought something UK side (or elsewhere)?

Thanks!

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
Dope.

What y'all doing about that ugly, ugly 12-pin adaptor we get? I only have a 3070, so one pci-e feeding into it. Half-tempted to buy some molex pin extractors and rewire the 12 pin plug with my cables.

Thanks!

Get a 90 degree case and it suddenly doesn't look too bad! ;)

Soldato
That's actually really worth knowing lol.

You may be waiting a long time for payment though I waited 7 weeks when I sold my Quest.

Thanks!

Due to the Corsair one cost and it seems to be constantly out of stock I bought one that was recommended on Discord off a guy on Etsy. You can customise it down to colour, wire type, combs etc. Took a few weeks to come from China but looks like he is not on there anymore.

Soldato
I really hope NV decides to produce mining GPUs in large quantities, that should help everyone if they can arrange a separate production deal from TSMC or maybe samsung.

I think there's an arguement for AMD and NV to produce mining GPUs all year round, if it helps to keep prices affordable for gamers.

The only way to stop a miner is to have some sort of unpassable hardware/software lock, so you can't mine on a classical GPU. Otherwise, since every card will produce money, they will buy as much as nVIDIA, AMD and perhaps Intel can produce - or until miners run out of money.There's no was of stopping using traditional means. Perhaps if AMD and nVIDIA will sell directly to a customer, no more than 1 GPU / 6months at the beginning, maybe. Other than that, no.
A colossal waste of power.

Soldato
Can't believe it. My replace 3070 FE arrived today and it has the exact same issue. (Sound of hiss from last time)

At this point I can only conclude there's an issue with this batch of graphics cards to the retailer.

Consider me completely alienated from Nvidia Founders Editions at this point; I might as well buy a scalped 3070 and sell this on.

(Or ofcourse, I'd be open to simply replacing the fan when third party options become available).

It's hard to hear the recording properly but from what I can hear it just sounds like coil whine to me

The last 3090FE was available to buy for over 40 minutes so yes it was easy. Although in another reality that sentence sounds quite stupid.

The 3090FE was in stock for close to 5 hours yesterday before being sold out

Associate
Dope.

Thanks!

Corsair have released a 12 pin PCI-E cable for £20. I also believe Seasonic have done similar too.
I have no problem with the adapter, It looks tidy, it's in black so blends in with most cases.
I do have my PC on the floor facing away from me, so i'm not too concerned with it

Caporegime
Is it just me or are the 30 series REALLY finicky when it comes to riser cables? Tried 2 that worked fine with my Vega 64 and running into different issues on each.

Think I'm gonna wipe down the connectors with IPA and give them a blast of compressed air to see if a bit of dust is causing issues. Could also be pcie slot settings, will have a look there as well.

Back
Top Bottom