odysee - supposedly a viable alternative to YouTube?

Man of Honour

And this is the heart of the problem, between Odysee, Floatplane, Nebula/Curiositystream (and I doubt that's an exhaustive list), the market is just becoming too fragmented. People don't want to have to subscribe to a handful of independent creator type streaming services on top of the handful of other streaming services that they have in regards to Netflix, Amazon, HBO Max, Disney etc

Soldato
Bitchute is best

I know the guys running it so I'm biased.
The entire front page is COVID deniers, Trump supporters, Anti-antiwhite and Capitol riot deniers.

I think this is the challenge - those banned from YouTube basically using these sites as outlets for their nonsense. Not sure many serious creators use these platforms.

Edit: Seems that is Bitchute's market
"BigTech just purged the president of the United States and untold numbers of creators and users. We are working around the clock to keep up, but could do with extra help. Consider a $5 donation today. Thank you - BitChute."

Edit2: I want to be entertained by the videos but none are loading. The comments section will do:
"
abrahams-ur
So, those misleaders hiding behind the mask to hide the clone yet the media pushes the narrative of covid and the lemmings are helping with the masked ones......Remember, think of your most wildest invention multiply that times 40 and that is the technology they have already achieved. i do not trust the wall and fema.
"

Edit3:
"

2 hours ago
Mike_Maxwell

WTF stop the obvious BS stuff on "clones"

··

• 2 hours ago
    Stephen Burton
    Sorry your brain brain dead technology has been hidden for decades space force has been in action for decades Hammer of god was first used ww2 much smaller scale .Teliportation star GATES you will ****

··"
This is hysterical.

Soldato
When you think about video codecs over time improved codecs have been developed which cut bandwidth for a given quality level - so over time, for given quality - the bitrate and bandwidth costs for that video is lower than before - so video streaming should continue to become cheaper over time.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
When you think about video codecs over time improved codecs have been developed which cut bandwidth for a given quality level - so over time, for given quality - the bitrate and bandwidth costs for that video is lower than before - so video streaming should continue to become cheaper over time.

One problem is resolutions and audio quality etc will keep going up and up which means file sizes rocket too. But on a like for like with current resolutions then yeah operational costs should come down.

Soldato
One problem is resolutions and audio quality etc will keep going up and up which means file sizes rocket too. But on a like for like with current resolutions then yeah operational costs should come down.
Guys, come on. We now have 4k streams, 360 degree video - and about a billion more people in our target market. The cost isn't £0 and therefore there are significant barriers to entry.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Guys, come on. We now have 4k streams, 360 degree video - and about a billion more people in our target market. The cost isn't £0 and therefore there are significant barriers to entry.

I never said it was, I was referring to costs to established platforms without the need to develop anything to get started :p

Caporegime
Let's be honest here - YT has got the market locked and I don't see that changing for a very long time, even if someone does put out a viable (i.e. not 'a bit rough') alternative. I'm all for competition, but I don't see anyone ending the dominance of YT.

Pretty much this.

Unless YouTube do something really stupid or introduce more ads or lock stuff behind paywalls it will always be number one so long as it stays relative and moves with the times and if a competitor does something better just copy them.

Vimeo and twitch are the only competitors and twitch is just live streaming. Vimeo is naff tbh only use it if you have to where certain people refuse to use YouTube.

Man of Honour
Over the past 12 months, hoover as a search term indexes the highest in the UK and Ireland.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=hoover

A general way to tell if a brand has 'made it' in this respect is if they have become a verb.

People say they need to hoover before guests come around, not they need to Dyson, even though Dyson is the more popular brand.

"Let me google this", "I'll Xerox this document", "Just gonna blu tack this poster to the wall"
I'm aware of it being used as a verb. I am just surprised people still used it. It was common in my youth but after they shot themselves in the foot with that offer they had to rescind, they pretty much destroyed the brand. It then seems to have fallen out of favour, at least in my social circles.

Man of Honour
I'm aware of it being used as a verb. I am just surprised people still used it. It was common in my youth but after they shot themselves in the foot with that offer they had to rescind, they pretty much destroyed the brand. It then seems to have fallen out of favour, at least in my social circles.

I think it's so well established as a verb that the verb has become disassociated from the brand. I don't know if Hoover still makes vacuum cleaners, or even if Hoover still exists, but I hoover my house. With a Henry.

Soldato
Just taken a look at this and it looks cheap. Even looking through the top rated content, it is clear there are no creators making much of an effort on there at the moment.

Maybe something will come of it, but I doubt it. As already mentioned there are plenty of other platforms that are established but still do not knock YouTube down much.

Caporegime
Does youtube get pissy if you use the same video content across multiple sites , do they claim any type of ownership?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/dec/20/who-owns-content-you-upload

YouTube: You retain all of your ownership rights to and videos you upload, but when you use the site you grant a limited licence to YouTube and other users. That licence is a "worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable licence (with right to sub-licence) to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform that Content in connection with the provision of the Service and otherwise in connection with the provision of the Service and YouTube's business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels".

The licence extends to YouTube's affiliates. When you leave YouTube it retains the right to keep copies of your content on its servers.

Back
Top Bottom