2021 MacBook Pro 14/16" Discussion

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's going to be a good year for Apple users with the rumoured 14" and 16" in the works. The rumours from Kuo and Gurman suggest some very nice developments.

Kuo:
1. The two new models are equipped with about 14-inch and 16-inch displays, respectively.
2. In terms of casing design, the new models cancel the curvy design of existing models’ top and bottom parts and adopt a flat-edged form factor design similar to the ‌iPhone 12‌.
3. The ‌MagSafe‌ charging connector design is restored.
4. The OLED touch bar is removed, and the physical function buttons are restored.
5. There is no Intel CPU option for the new models.
6. They are equipped with more types of I/O, and most users may not need to purchase additional dongles.

Gurman:
Apple Inc. is planning upgraded MacBook Pro laptops this year with much faster processors, updated displays and the return of its magnetic charger, according to a person with knowledge of the plans.

The new laptops are planned to come in two screen sizes, a 14-inch model codenamed J314 and a 16-inch version internally dubbed J316. Both will use next-generation versions of Apple’s in-house Mac processors, upgraded with more cores and enhanced graphics, the person said, asking not to be named as the products are not yet announced.

Beyond the more powerful chips, Apple is also planning to step up the displays in its new MacBook Pros with brighter, higher-contrast panels, the person said. The new Macs will look similar to the current versions, albeit with minor design changes. Apple is aiming to launch the new MacBook Pros around the middle of the year.

A major change to the new computers will be how they charge. Over the past five years, Apple has relied on USB-C ports for both power and data transfer on its laptops, making them compatible with other manufacturers’ chargers. But the company is now bringing back MagSafe, the magnetic power adapter that means any accidental yanking of the power cable would simply detach it from the laptop rather than pull down the entire computer. It was a favorite feature of the company’s portable PC lineup that was first introduced in 2006 and most recently revived for its latest lineup of iPhones.

The return of MagSafe with the next MacBook Pros will also allow those laptops to charge at a faster rate, the person said. The connector will be similar to the elongated pill-shape design of the older MagSafe port.

Despite moving away from USB-C for charging, Apple will still include multiple USB-C ports on its future Macs.

In developing its next set of Mac laptops, Apple has also tested versions that remove the Touch Bar from its laptop keyboards. The Touch Bar, introduced as part of the last MacBook Pro redesign in 2016, turns the keyboard’s top row from function keys into a touchscreen strip that can display a variety of information and a changing set of controls to adapt to apps and tasks. Some professional users have said they found that control scheme less convenient than physical keys.

Apple is also planning a redesigned MacBook Air, but that is not expected to be released until long after the next MacBook Pros.

As someone who loves tech I'm really excited to see what Apple delivers. These new MacBook Pros are going to be phenomenal machines.

Man of Honour
Yeah no idea why the Touch Bar gets so much hate, I bloody love it on mine. So useful and given it's been a couple of years since it was introduced, some apps have made added really innovative uses for it.

Would be a big backwards step for me if they get rid

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Yeah no idea why the Touch Bar gets so much hate, I bloody love it on mine. So useful and given it's been a couple of years since it was introduced, some apps have made added really innovative uses for it.

How do you find Touch Bar in clamshell mode? Trollolol

Man of Honour
How do you find Touch Bar in clamshell mode? Trollolol

Bro pls, remember I have two MBP's, one that was in perma-clamshell mode, and one that isn't. Now both are used as normal laptops since getting the M1 Mini, although I'm giving the 2018 one to my girlfriend

Soldato

I don't have a TB on my MBP - have mid 2014 - still going strong. As someone who hasn't actually used it, I sit here thinking what's the point of it. I'm assuming it does grow on you or once you've used it it's a game changer. I can certainly see why people hate, they're probably in the same camp as me and just haven't use it so don't think it's necessary or a pointless expense.

The new keyboard they applied for a patent would make the TB obsolete anyway, no?

Don
I hated the touch bar when the Esc key was part of it, but once they added a physical Esc key I now love it. Really hope they don't get rid of it.
Wondering whether Macs will ever get touchscreens. With them now able to run iPad apps so well it kind of makes sense, but maybe it blurs the line between the iPad and the Macbook too much for Apple. Saying that though, they did add a touchpad to the iPad keyboard.

I'd like:

Slightly refreshed design
4:3 display
Touchscreen
Magsafe but keep USB-C charging as backup
More USB-C ports (4 or more would be nice)

Man of Honour
I've always been against the idea of laptops having touch screens, but since having my Magic keyboard for the iPad Pro, it's totally changed my opinion. That is effectively my main laptop now, it's used for everything I do bar full on app development or other projects where I need a proper IDE. But everything else, I'll happily use that.

So I definitely would like them go more the Surface Book route of having a touch screen that you can fold the other way and almost use it like a tablet.

The day they completely merge iOS and macOS will be a fantastic day. The thought of having a file system and other macOS parts on a device with the form factor of an iPad Pro, excites me greatly. Unfortunately, I think that's 2-3 years away before that happens

Soldato
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't want a MagSafe revival. I like having four USB-C ports (TB3..) which can be used for a multitude of things. I'm equally not interested in having a touch screen.

A refreshed design with a larger screen and smaller bezels - and a way to open it without giving it a big thumb print - would be all they need IMO. Touch bar isn't that useful for me, but it's a nice little feature that is useful from time to time.

Caporegime
The return of MagSafe with the next MacBook Pros will also allow those laptops to charge at a faster rate, the person said. The connector will be similar to the elongated pill-shape design of the older MagSafe port.

"similar"

Of course, they couldn't just reintroduce one with the same dimensions as the old port? It needs to be a different one?

I'm not sure I'll bother replacing my late 2016 13" MacBook pro yet, it's been refurbished for free (screen and keyboard issues) under two different apple schemes and it's absolutely fine for most things, I don't need to play games on it etc... I do use the touch bar with some applications, it's quite neat, not sure I need a touch screen necessarily but if it's an option I'll probably select it just as with the touchbar.

I guess maybe 2022 or 2023 I might look at the 14"

Soldato
I'm hoping for a redesign that gets rid of the ridiculous bezels, they're far too big and make Apple laptops look 10 years old.

Would love to upgrade my MBP 15 (think it's an early 2013) but I'm waiting for them to modernise the design. Really sold on the M1 chips and can only imagine them getting better with future releases but Dell XPS machines look far better than Macs right now.

Back
Top Bottom