HUKD is trash now

Caporegime
I remember when HUKD was good. When people posted deals that were deals. When alerts were worth setting up.

Today, I often find myself posting negative comments when people have just found any old price and posted it as a "deal". The price of being mainstream I guess.

The comments I get back are along the lines, "People are just trying to help. It makes people feel good that they are helping others save money."

Feelings? Why should I care about feelings when deals being posted aren't deals?

"Go away, we don't need your negativity. It's a deal if people think it's a deal."

Isn't that just objectively wrong? It's not a deal because people don't bother to track prices. Instead HUKD is just a place that enables people to "feel good" about any purchase at any price.

Unfortunately people don't track prices (even tho websites exist which do that for you). Heat gets added to just about everything that gets posted there. Very, very, very few things ever get a "cold" rating, unless you've posted something 50% above RRP :p

In other news, old man yells at cloud (to save the millennials from having to make the effort to post that retort :p) Also "first wold problems" etc.

Caporegime
It's the same as everything else, once the masses get involved it goes down hill fast.

Early internet - lots of freedom, no excessive censorship/moderation, a brilliant place to be.
Computer games - difficulties dumbed down for the masses and the same genres being recycled over and over again.
F1 - gone from the pinnacle of motorsport to everything being done in the interest of entertaining those who don't appreciate hard racing.

Caporegime
OP
Agreed. It's a load of rubbish now. I tend to have a quick glance at the hottest deals of the day or week every now and again. Though it is funny to read the comments about overclockers when a deal is posted! :p
It just annoys me that another place has fallen victim to the safe space mentality.

You can't post a comment to say that a posted deal isn't a deal without people telling you you should stop posting and your "negativity" isn't welcome.

Careful, you'll get yourself banned from there!
"And nothing of value was lost."

At least I know I'll always be welcome here.... right? Right? :p

Soldato
Yea agreed it's no good now. Used the site in the early days and it was really great back then.

It's also got a fair bit of corporate sponsorship based on what I see - companies now actively make sure 'deals' get on that site so that they will sell better.

Associate
Agreed. I don't vote on deals and I don't comment but the actual deals are very, very rare.

I think a lot of "deals" are now posted by traders trying to drum up a bit of business by selling something a couple of quid cheaper than somewhere else.

Associate
Don't comment and vote the "deals" cold.

Meh, if the userbase votes them hot then I guess they are hot.
Not always, stuff is often voted hot when it's just the regular price. It's supposed to be hotukdeals not hotukrecommendations. Sometimes the userbase is wrong, assuming that it is the userbase voting and not HUKD promoting products that they get a high commission on.

Caporegime
OP
Don't comment and vote the "deals" cold.

Meh, if the userbase votes them hot then I guess they are hot.
Well... I've seen tons of "deals" which were basically just items at their regular 24/7 price get voted hot.

I think people vote hot if it's a price they'd be willing to pay, rather than if it's a sale/deal price.

One chap said to me that "The cheapest price the item can currently be found at is a deal price, regardless of RRP or previous price or anything else. If you can't get it cheaper today then it's a deal price."

It's not logic I'd agree with, but it explains why some people vote hot.

Soldato
I mean, we all on OcUK would right now vote a deal on there for a RTX3080 at MSRP hot in an instant. Like everything on the internet, it was good when there was a focused group of like minded people, now it's the blob and all that comes with it. OcUK is now my safe space on the internet :(

Soldato
Still find the occasional deal on there now and then but like you said, 95% crap now. Ordered one of those kraken z73s the other day after seeing it on there.
I think this is my problem. Already buying the occasional thing from there, any more posted and I'll have to lock myself off of it :p

Soldato
Agreed, turned rubbish a while ago.

No doubt some bank cashback deal or pc build for under £500 (self promoters) this weekend.
What would you like to see?

I mean, it is essentially a content aggregator so if the deals aren't out there (we are all members it seems, so we can post them, too) then how would they get posted?

Soldato
What would you like to see?

I mean, it is essentially a content aggregator so if the deals aren't out there (we are all members it seems, so we can post them, too) then how would they get posted?

Honestly, i cant answer that - as i dont know :D

However, what i dont like: Bank switch cashback deals :p

Soldato
Honestly, i cant answer that - as i dont know :D

However, what i dont like: Bank switch cashback deals :p
The usual British attitude to life then! It's all bad but I can't describe what I would do better. :o

I mean, they have even just posted 2 kilo of jam for 4 quid if you can finish it by the end of Feb! :p

Soldato
Generally agree. It's also full of penny saving deals which I don't recall being so abundant a few years ago. Who actually cares if you can save 50p on some Twix at Farmfoods, Peterborough? That's one of the highest trending deals today.

Back
Top Bottom