What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Saw it a few days ago. It was a nothing film for me. I enjoyed it as bit of theatre, but it didn't seem there was point to it. layer upon layer up on layer just for the hell of it, but with little direction, meaning or substance. I thought something like 'Predestination' was better.

Was going to watch it again but couldnt be bothered so watched a youtube vid explaining the plot , still didnt make much sense.

Soldato
Big Bad Mama (1974) on Prime.

Crime / sexploitation movie starring Angie Dickinson who's both very attractive in her forties here, and also clearly the best actor on screen throughout. Quite a lot of somewhat gratuitous nudity on show, including from Dickinson, as you might expect. A bit creepy with her daughters acting young but still having sex - they're portrayed as of-age (starts with one getting married), just rather immature.

William Shatner's also in it, during his low spell after Star Trek. He's pretty crap.

Enjoyed it all, though, was entertaining throughout.

Soldato
Big Bad Mama (1974) on Prime.

Crime / sexploitation movie starring Angie Dickinson who's both very attractive in her forties here, and also clearly the best actor on screen throughout. Quite a lot of somewhat gratuitous nudity on show, including from Dickinson, as you might expect. A bit creepy with her daughters acting young but still having sex - they're portrayed as of-age (starts with one getting married), just rather immature.

William Shatner's also in it, during his low spell after Star Trek. He's pretty crap.

Enjoyed it all, though, was entertaining throughout.
Interestingly, having watched this last night, I see reported today that the Director just died!

I watched another of his called The Arena a few weeks ago. A, similarly nude-heavy, female gladiator movie starring Pam Grier. That one was passable in the first half, but abysmal in the second. Some of the worst action choreography I've seen :D

Soldato
Hurricane (2018) on Netflix

Quite a good film about the Polish pilots who flew fighters in the battle of Britain. It features Ramsey Boulton from Game of Thrones.

8/10

Would rate it higher if it had a bigger budget for the plane scenes, but they did a really good job considering and the story is decent. Worth a watch if you want to watch a war film.

Permabanned
Blair Witch (2016). Fond memories of the first film but this brought nothing original, bland characters and was overall just a bit boring. 5/10 (probably a bit generous)

Soldato
Been on a bit of a Movie hype recently...

Alien: Covenant - Haven't watched much of the Alien films, but I really enjoyed this one. I haven't seen Prometheus, and I assume I should have, or should do after watching this :p -- 7/10
Anita: Battle Angel - Loved every moment of this! Great cast, the CGI wasn't too off-putting and the action was great. Hoping for a Sequel! -- 9/10
Philadelphia - Had always been on my radar, as I enjoy watching Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington, but I didn't particularly enjoy the story/script and was a little bored -- 5/10
Scary Movie - A classic Parody movie. Seen it a hundred times - Switch your brain off funny -- 7/10
Lord of War - Definitely enjoyed it - I love Nic Cage in most of his movies -- 8/10
The Nice Guys - So funny, and they clearly both work so well together. Highly recommended -- 9/10

Man of Honour
Philadelphia - Had always been on my radar, as I enjoy watching Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington, but I didn't particularly enjoy the story/script and was a little bored -- 5/10
I think a lot of the impact of the impact of this film has been lost over the years. Back in the 1980's AIDS ripped though the gay community and with no real treatment and certainly no cure people were terrified of it. Getting sacked if your company found out was a real possibility. Nowadays there are affective treatments and a lot more is known about the disease. There isn't the same fear of it.

Soldato
Wildling 5/10

When it first started I could hear the voices but the screen was black so I thought all this is creepy and seems promising. Luckily it only took me a few mins though before I discovered there was meant to be picture and the black screen wasn't part of the movie. Instead my fire tv stick was having a funny moment :o

After that it still seemed intriguing but the film didn't go the route I thought it was heading. It was doing ok to a certain point and then... it just got weird! (and a bit naff. )

One of those movies where if there was nothing else to watch and it was on tv I might stick it on as background noise but wouldn't be all that fussed about watching it again.

Soldato
I think a lot of the impact of the impact of this film has been lost over the years. Back in the 1980's AIDS ripped though the gay community and with no real treatment and certainly no cure people were terrified of it. Getting sacked if your company found out was a real possibility. Nowadays there are affective treatments and a lot more is known about the disease. There isn't the same fear of it.

one of my top 10 films, but hey..each to his own. :)

Soldato
Brawl In Cell Block 99 - 9/10

I like vince Vaughn as an actor, and to see him play a part that isn’t comic is quite strange..but man, it’s brutal but real good. Recommend.

Soldato
War, Inc - 3/10 - John Cusack in a "feels like a kind of sequel-ish" film in what feels like the writers/directors poor attempt at doing "Grosse Point bank 2". So it has the same supporting/leading actors, same cameos, Cusack playing a copy/paste of his Grosse Point character just with a new name etc. I loved Grosse Point but this film, whilst it utterly skewers the military industrial complex which runs America's wars in fantastic fashion, has neither the charm or wit of the film they are trying so hard to emulate.

Man of Honour
Yet more Disney films.

Alice in Wonderland - Interesting ideas and very bizarre but mostly frustrating and aimless. Very abrupt ending. Not the best. Cheshire Cat is great thought.... also quite amusing when they fix the pocket watch 6.5/10

Tarzan - Impressive hand drawn / CGI animation and a set-up that was way better than you would anticipate from the subject matter. Goes downhill once Clayton etc show up and from that point the plot is too wafer thin to really get particularly invested in it. Better than I thought it would be though and Tarzan himself is likeable... even if he did make me feel like an inadequate fat man. 7/10

Back
Top Bottom