BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Load of rubbish. Guy that did mine scanned the ONT at the door and handed it to me along with the cable for me to run to the outside.
He didn't need to come in the house.

It's absolutely doable without them entering your house of you're willing to run the cable and mount the ONT.

Oh, so he wasn't sticking to the agreed job then which Openreach would treat as a disciplinary issue if they knew. Just because the engineer that came to your house did it differently doesn't make what I said about what the job includes rubbish.

Associate
right just a vodafone update, DLM has dropped and cuple of resynces diff ip (about 3) and this is my ping monitor for the last day, seems like they have moved me to another route maybe, ping still at 12ms where as talk talk was 7ms but looking better and seems more responsive:

The red is a powercut in the area.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's absolutely understandable for a worker to want to protect their health during a pandemic, you got all the difficult and time consuming part of the installation done, it's not going to start billing yet, and you haven't been left with a worse service than you had a month ago. I think you're being unreasonable.
100% this!

Soldato
I suspect we're getting FTTP before very long. Is there any way to see what work Openreach have planned in an area before work starts? Do they have to apply for permission from the Council or can they just turn up and start work? I've seen a group recently walking aound the area and pointing around obviously planning something.

Soldato
I suspect we're getting FTTP before very long. Is there any way to see what work Openreach have planned in an area before work starts? Do they have to apply for permission from the Council or can they just turn up and start work? I've seen a group recently walking aound the area and pointing around obviously planning something.

You can register for updates on the Openreach website but in my case they didn't send any. Might be worth doing anyway.

What does it say on the Openreach availability checker? It was from there that I knew FTTP was planned in my area. It's also working looking at one.network to see what roadworks are being planned.

Man of Honour
Lol cheers. I did expect that kind of reply. It is about impossible to find out what is going on. We've got Virgin around here and are on the list for FTTP rollout. Could badly do with it as 12mbps is a bit painful!
I know from a friend who is a chief FTTP engineer with OpenReach that where I live is planned for FTTP but there's no information at all on the internet about it and the Openreach checker says there's no plans.

Soldato
I have just put an offer in on a property that will by my first home, unfortunately can't get Virgin Media down there so I will be back to the "old school" broadband. It appears prices seem about the same, however I noticed that BT offer a "second line" package that looks good considering my partner and me will be WFH. Anyone here have/looking at getting a second line installed for that reason?

I would likely go for Fibre2 package for the home and Fibre1 for the "work" line.

Soldato

You might not see anything, where I live is fully ducted, we were not in the published list. I only knew it was coming is because by neighbour spotted they were messing about with a manhole outside his house and saw them running the fibre. They were there and gone in the same day.

I only found out as I had signed up for email updates from open reach and got a leaflet through the door a few weeks later.

Caporegime
I have just put an offer in on a property that will by my first home, unfortunately can't get Virgin Media down there so I will be back to the "old school" broadband. It appears prices seem about the same, however I noticed that BT offer a "second line" package that looks good considering my partner and me will be WFH. Anyone here have/looking at getting a second line installed for that reason?

I would likely go for Fibre2 package for the home and Fibre1 for the "work" line.

There's nothing special about it, it's just a product that won't result in your service being accidentally migrated rather than having a new service added.

If I were having two lines put in I'd get them from different ISPs just to try and add a little bit of protection from network faults. You'll probably have to phone through the second order and make it clear that you need a new line put in.

Soldato
There's nothing special about it, it's just a product that won't result in your service being accidentally migrated rather than having a new service added.

If I were having two lines put in I'd get them from different ISPs just to try and add a little bit of protection from network faults. You'll probably have to phone through the second order and make it clear that you need a new line put in.
Two different ISPs definitely a good shout, will ring around and check on installation costs etc.

Soldato
You might not see anything, where I live is fully ducted, we were not in the published list. I only knew it was coming is because by neighbour spotted they were messing about with a manhole outside his house and saw them running the fibre. They were there and gone in the same day.

I only found out as I had signed up for email updates from open reach and got a leaflet through the door a few weeks later.

I think that's likely. I have had a number of engineers tell me we have aluminium in the area (1970's build) and they haven't touched it as it could well fall apart if they do! I presume they'll leave it and just run fibre in alongside it?

Caporegime
I think that's likely. I have had a number of engineers tell me we have aluminium in the area (1970's build) and they haven't touched it as it could well fall apart if they do! I presume they'll leave it and just run fibre in alongside it?
You'll have fibre pulled in, the aluminium will be left and probably not pulled out until the copper network is off and the duct space is needed.

Soldato
With regards to FTTC, is it normal for the connection to become completely unusable when you are uploading data? My connections grinds to an absolute halt on Plusnet, but the same has happened on TalkTalk, Vodafone and BT.

I’m using my neighbour’s Virgin Media service at the moment to upload a lot of photos whilst he’s abroad, and I can still watch YouTube and browse.

Is Virgin Media full-duplex and FTTC is half-duplex?

Back
Top Bottom