What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Tarzan - Impressive hand drawn / CGI animation and a set-up that was way better than you would anticipate from the subject matter. Goes downhill once Clayton etc show up and from that point the plot is too wafer thin to really get particularly invested in it. Better than I thought it would be though and Tarzan himself is likeable... even if he did make me feel like an inadequate fat man. 7/10

I've not yet seen Tarzan in English, only in Swedish, but Phil Collins have some real great songs on that soundtrack.

Man of Honour
I've not yet seen Tarzan in English, only in Swedish, but Phil Collins have some real great songs on that soundtrack.
The songs are a little jarring in that they are sort of background themes - it isn’t musical theatre, which I think it a bit more common in Disney films. I didn’t pay much attention to them but I’ll check it out!!

Soldato
Top Secret - 4/10

Watched it after comments here. I don't think it made me even smile... which is odd, as I definitely loved Naked Gun when it was released. Tbf, I lost interest early on and was on my laptop through most of the film.

Soldato
Top Secret - 4/10

Watched it after comments here. I don't think it made me even smile... which is odd, as I definitely loved Naked Gun when it was released. Tbf, I lost interest early on and was on my laptop through most of the film.
Each to their own, it is one of my favourites. Your comment about the laptop rings true as that is the reason why Police Squad was cancelled back in the day. The TV exec cancelled it as you had to watch it to enjoy it, meaning that not giving it full attention means you would miss half if the small visual gags in the background.

Soldato
The TV exec cancelled it as you had to watch it to enjoy it, meaning that not giving it full attention means you would miss half if the small visual gags in the background.

I get it, but I think my point was, when watching, I didn't particularly enjoy it. The 'I know a little German' was as close as I came to a giggle. Nothing at the little horse... blokes landing on a pigeon statue to pee on it, nothing... maybe they were too obvious?

Man of Honour
Again, another big shout out for Wrongfully Accused if you like the Naked Gun.... which has some better moments and some worse moments.... but the good is excellent :D

That train :D

Soldato
Spectral off netflix
probably a 6/10

decent concept, some decent acting but then gets stupid by one scientist creating 20+ super guns iron man style. Think Iron Man 1, when he created the iron man suit in the cave. Now picture him creating 10+ of these in the same space of time, only more hightec

Associate
Following a real ex-Mafia member Michael Franzese's review of how the 1996 HBO Gotti film is still one of the most authentic Mafia films around, and much better than the recent Travolta effort, I re-watched the 1996 Gotti starring the truly underrated Armand Assante in the titular role.

Apparently, of all the movie portrayals of Gotti and mobsters in general, Assante's performance is one of the most authentic and realistic. Assante is superb in the role and basically is good in everything he's ever been in. An actor that never forgets he's there to entertain above all. This performance makes some of the more recent tired and bored performance efforts we've had from the 'legends' of De Niro and Pacino look like lazy, half assed efforts.

Assante could have played any role De Niro or Pacino had just as well in their prime, and better than either in their later years when both look bored and not putting much effort in.

The film also features many Soprano's actors (plus Goodfellas etc) and actually feels a lot like a prelude to the Sopranos in some ways. Highly recommended in general and for the superb, authentic and highly entertaining Armand Assante performance as Gotti.

Soldato
Whiplash (4K version) - 10/10.

Watched this in 4K for the first time, having watched the original release a few years ago. I loved it at the time, and now it's just as good as I remember it. That ending is so, so good. Definitely solidified itself in the ranks as one of my favourite films of all time now :)

Caporegime
We own the night - decent film with Joaquin Phoenix and Mark Wahlberg. Good story and quite tense at times. 6.5/10.

Sum of all fears - Good film, kept me hooked all the way through, although it could be a little hard to follow at times. 7/10.

Left behind- 2014 disaster movie with Nicolas Cage. Tbh, it’s more of a calamity lol. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Cage’s acting is worse than ever, along with the rest of the cast and the whole thing is absurdity of the highest level. I’ll give it a point through gritted teeth just for the uber hot air stewardess. 1/10

Back
Top Bottom