Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
I would say that on my test drive, the fake sound is the best fake sound I've heard. I'm sure the fake sound + real exhaust is a mess though, I think I'll leave it stock until the 'best' tuning box is identified and do it at the same time as that.

At least it doesn't have a speaker IN the exhaust, that is abominable imo.

OcUK Staff
OP
Have to agree there, you get accustomed to it very quickly and I also didn't mind it too much. But... it definitely sounds better turned off, and you really realise this once it is all turned off.

Now you have spent more time with the car and with 300HP, how do you think it truly compares to something like your Scoob and my EVO X, have Toyota made a mini Scoob/EVO that is truly as capable as those cars were or is it all just the hype and people have truly forgotten how amazing the EVO 9/10's were and the special Subarus?

I won't be cancelling mine as I cannot wait, but I would think the question on many peoples minds is for less money they could buy a spot less low mileage EVO X FQ-360 or one of the factory special Subaru's and then it would be interesting how you feel it compares to those, or does the lightness of the GR and its modern tech make it the better car as long as you don't need back doors and a boot.

Permabanned
That would be my issue. It is obviously a cracking, very capable little car. But is it worth £20,000 more than what I paid for the Polo?

I’d have to say no. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to own one and it is arguably a better car in almost every way, but 20k is a lot of money.

Soldato
I've had good experiences from Toyota warranty as well. Toyota HQ rubber stamped pretty much everything I asked them to do :p

Then you can extend it further for peanuts compared to some (2 years for £500 when I had the gt86). Plus 20% off on services and MOTs for 5+ year old cars.

Last edited:
Soldato
They arent really using it for what it was built for. Its a rally car not a drifting car :p

But at least they did put a proper handbrake in it, not some electronic rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now you have spent more time with the car and with 300HP, how do you think it truly compares to something like your Scoob and my EVO X, have Toyota made a mini Scoob/EVO that is truly as capable as those cars were or is it all just the hype and people have truly forgotten how amazing the EVO 9/10's were and the special Subarus?

I won't be cancelling mine as I cannot wait, but I would think the question on many peoples minds is for less money they could buy a spot less low mileage EVO X FQ-360 or one of the factory special Subaru's and then it would be interesting how you feel it compares to those, or does the lightness of the GR and its modern tech make it the better car as long as you don't need back doors and a boot.

The problem with the Subaru/Evos of recent generations is that they didn't really change that much engine/drivetrain wise, but gained weight. The chassis definitely improved, as did the interiors, but people driving standard cars just didn't feel the same love as with the ones from 20 years ago that weighed the same as this Yaris. Modified examples are a different kettle of fish of course as you know.

I think the reason I like the Yaris so much is because of how much it reminds me of the more hardcore rally specials without being hardcore, the single biggest factor here is the size and weight, and all in a modern car. It is so noticeable - I was out in it again last night testing some new DTUK maps and we're now at 3.9sec 30-70mph and I got a couple of 4.2sec to 60mph runs in with it chucking it down with rain and lots of spin. This car is fast with nothing more than a cat back and tuning box. For me the potential of this car without going silly is huge. The brakes on the Yaris are massive and I've stomped on them a good few times now (you'll often see the hazards on in my videos :D ) - they're better than anything I've used out of the box in a normal car, and guess what, that's down to the weight! Another thing to mention here is that I've struggled to get the Yaris to bog down if I launch it wrong or pull off without too many revs, and that has to be down to weight again IMO.

So I'll just keep coming back to it and saying it.. it's the weight and size that makes this thing special IMO. Incremental changes = big difference in performance. I'd need to pedal my 400bhp Subaru pretty hard to keep up with this thing at 300bhp, and even then I think I'd be losing out when it comes to pushing it hard around a tight road. PS4S no doubt play a big part in that versus the Dunlops I have on mine though. Now whether that's worth it vs spending £10-15k on an STi or Evo and another £10k on mods for a monster is another discussion, but frankly it's got me more and more seriously considering one recently. Not sure I could part with this Subaru, so can I get away with 2 rally cars that I'd be modifying ? :D

The things I don't like haven't changed though:
I don't get on with the gearbox, but then I find that with a lot of gearboxes. The gearbox in the STi is tough and you can be quick with it so it's hard to not draw comparisons.
In the dark pouring rain last night I really struggled with the screen/rearview mirror visibility. I was constantly leaning forward to peer through it. I didn't have that issue so much in the daylight mind..
Steering isn't the most amazing in feedback, but I think that's part of the modern car experience sadly.
The sound is now a lot better with the interior stuff turned off and a cat back, and I actually quite like it, but it's no flat 4 ;)
I find the accelerator pedal a bit... weird.
I still need a bit more drama, but this will come with further modifications. Intake noise, turbo chirps, more exhaust noise - if I could add those things to the car as it sits with 300bhp I think I'd be very happy.

I don't think you'll regret it, especially once you slap a couple of mods on.

OcUK Staff
OP
Yaaaaaas.

Tested the ITG panel filter today at MRC. It made 1-3bhp throughout the rev range, so not bad at all for just a swap in filter.

Well dunno how true it is but RRG Toyota in Macclesfield might be willing to fit DTUK boxes and maintain warranty if true is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom