HUKD is trash now

Soldato
The usual British attitude to life then! It's all bad but I can't describe what I would do better. :o

You're confusing me with the remoaners in the speakers corner :D

The lengthy reply is that my tastes differ to those of others, the same for all. Hence I don't have a real solution, i'd rather just not see things which i feel are rubbish or repetitive - see my earlier example.

Caporegime
I remember when HUKD was good. When people posted deals that were deals. When alerts were worth setting up.

Today, I often find myself posting negative comments when people have just found any old price and posted it as a "deal". The price of being mainstream I guess.

The comments I get back are along the lines, "People are just trying to help. It makes people feel good that they are helping others save money."

Feelings? Why should I care about feelings when deals being posted aren't deals?

"Go away, we don't need your negativity. It's a deal if people think it's a deal."

Isn't that just objectively wrong? It's not a deal because people don't bother to track prices. Instead HUKD is just a place that enables people to "feel good" about any purchase at any price.

Unfortunately people don't track prices (even tho websites exist which do that for you). Heat gets added to just about everything that gets posted there. Very, very, very few things ever get a "cold" rating, unless you've posted something 50% above RRP :p

In other news, old man yells at cloud (to save the millennials from having to make the effort to post that retort :p) Also "first wold problems" etc.

It needs renamed to affiliate link deals.

If you post a link to a genuine deal and they can't make money off it they will take it down so people buy from elsewhere that they do make money off of.

It's all focused towards making money for whoever owns the site. Nothing else. It's essentially just full of crap now much like Martin Lewis after he made his millions.

Soldato
the parent company must make a fortune with HUKD. They push 'offers' where they get a higher commission hence why the quality has gone downhill recently.

Caporegime
I agree. Not as good as it used to be.

I still have alerts/go on it fairly frequently as there are still deals to be had and can save shopping around extensively on the net.

As you have said though, most "deals" are just things at like a few percent off RRP or at prices that they are at frequently.

SSD deals are some of the worst. Almost all of them go hot, when they are almost all at or around the same price.

Also, before it got popular you stood a decent chance of a misprice slipping through. Now there is almost no chance as whatever is mispriced probably gets tens of thousands of orders in the space of a few minutes.

Associate
Deals I've posted often get declined by a moderator.

Recent one 27% off a Carhartt Sawtooth Parker, something I've wanted for years, but could not justify £200 + on a coat.

Anyway Scottish company established 1955, was deemed risky as they were not either, Currys or Amazon selling smart speakers at half price! They would rather advocate fraud by allowing VPN workarounds on digital subscriptions.

With that said, I think there are nuggets deals out there, but they never make it on their site.

Ps very happy with my coat :p

Soldato
But... but... Flamedeer. :(

No, you're right, the definition of 'deal' has been diluted a lot. But that's the internet for you... everything is diluted now to the point where finding useful information (or deals in this case) is a chore. However, occasionally a cracking deal still crops up, so I see HUKD as the 'deals lottery'. Most of the time I spend there is wasted, but there's always a chance of winning if you stumble across a genuinely good deal in the first few hours -- or minutes, sometimes -- it's posted.

I'm typing on one such deal now, and at arm's length is a little 'guitarlele' (6 string ukelele) which came via there this time last year. And later on I must do my weekly backup* to the 4TB USB drive which was a ridiculously good deal the year before; haven't seen the same price since.

*Ok, weekly in my imagination. Whenever I remember in reality.

Caporegime
I dont really have an issue with it. I pop on most days, check my alerts and that's it. I tend not to bother scrolling through the list of deals much.

Had some decent bargains over the last few months I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Sonos beam refurb deal.
Lenovo 15" 4800U for a silly price.
A few tool deals.
A few Subscribe & Save deals on household stuff.
Synogy and HDDs for shucking.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the same as everything else, once the masses get involved it goes down hill fast.
Agreed. The value is up front for the customer, but often business models haven't figured out at that point how to make it beneficial to both parties. Now they make money on hosting this stuff for you, which means you don't get decent offers but offers they want you to see as it makes them money. Sad but true for a lot of services that get monetised.

Soldato
I still use it everyday - I very rarely participate in the discussions, and whenever I've posted a deal it gets deleted within seconds due to some odd reasons, so I leave it to the experts :p

Found some great deals using it in the past.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it's rubbish as such. I discovered it when I bought my first property and thought it was amazing as I needed to buy lot of stuff after renting fully furnished places up till then.
These days finding a deal might seem harder but then I don't need to buy as much stuff anymore.

I did buy a 1TB M2 drive last night for £70 that I would have otherwise missed.

Caporegime
Deals I've posted often get declined by a moderator.

Recent one 27% off a Carhartt Sawtooth Parker, something I've wanted for years, but could not justify £200 + on a coat.

Anyway Scottish company established 1955, was deemed risky as they were not either, Currys or Amazon selling smart speakers at half price! They would rather advocate fraud by allowing VPN workarounds on digital subscriptions.

With that said, I think there are nuggets deals out there, but they never make it on their site.

Ps very happy with my coat :p

This is interesting, I've often seen deals from smaller British companies who really could use the business and wondered why they never appear on HUKD, that must be why then. It's a crap site then tbh. List everything with a disclaimer that the purchases are your own responsibility and let people get on with it, this nannying and omitting good deals because it's a smaller company is nonsense.

Might be time for a rival?

Caporegime
OP
This is interesting, I've often seen deals from smaller British companies who really could use the business and wondered why they never appear on HUKD, that must be why then. It's a crap site then tbh. List everything with a disclaimer that the purchases are your own responsibility and let people get on with it, this nannying and omitting good deals because it's a smaller company is nonsense.

Might be time for a rival?
If it's true that HUKD only allows links to vendors where they get some kind of referral bonus, then eventually any competitor would probably end up the same.

Money talks.

It started off as a gem of a site for people to get bargains, but clearly it's just another business now making money from affiliates and sponsors.

Mostly likely that's why deals posted by @Lmg80 and @Marky got deleted. It's got to be Amazon or Currys or someone with a referral scheme in operation.

Back
Top Bottom