Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
Nice to see a car that’s not been specced in black with black highlights on black wheels. The contrast between styling features, the wheels and the bodywork is what makes that Jag look superb!
Thanks mate. I felt the same way when buying, preferred something just a bit more distinct and subtle.

That grey and those wheels always looks great on the XE. Very nice. Is it the 340 or 380 bhp version?

Cheers :) 340 PS I think, although it's a 2017 so I am going to remember to ask Jaguar one of these days.

Nice Jaaaaaaaaaaggg.

I've got a jaģgggggggggggggg

Indeed. Thankfully though you don't get the wife-swapping offers like I'd heard about.

Soldato
The XE S looks absolutely superb. I was lucky enough to drive one ages back and they are wonderful cars.

Such a shame that they were replaced by the AWD 300hp 4 pot - it's just not the same. I can only imagine it was a forced move by ever increasing emission standards!

Associate
The XE S looks absolutely superb. I was lucky enough to drive one ages back and they are wonderful cars.

Such a shame that they were replaced by the AWD 300hp 4 pot - it's just not the same. I can only imagine it was a forced move by ever increasing emission standards!

Agreed on all fronts AJ. The XE is a far better car than I am a driver; it's impressive just how well Jaag got it to handle, and a shame it's no longer paired with an engine that does that chassis justice.

Moving to a four-pot was (afaik) forced by road tax increases (as you say, emission basically) and by the fact that V6s were only about 3-5% of sales. Thankfully from my perspective tens of millions of the engines were produced.

Man of Honour
Moving to a four-pot was (afaik) forced by road tax increases (as you say, emission basically)

So why is there still a 6 cylinder petrol 3 Series?

Other than the first year rate which consumers never really think about as it ends up in the OTR cost there is no difference in VED rate whether you have a 4 pot XE or a V8 Range Rover, they all pay the same rate assuming both are over 40k new.

Man of Honour
One of my biggest motoring disappointments was the interior quality of the 2015+ Jaguar XF. Is the XE the same?

I just couldn't believe how poor it was inside, switches that would barely be acceptable in a basic Vauxhall. :(

Hopefully they've improved it significantly these days.

Soldato
One of my biggest motoring disappointments was the interior quality of the 2015+ Jaguar XF. Is the XE the same?

21MY is a huge upgrade just as the real juice engines drop out. Just too late even with the significant price changes - much cheaper now.

So how did BMW and Mercedes manage?

oh I didn’t say it wasn’t possible-did I?

It was why it was dropped, not the tax reasons in the conversation.

Due to the ordered of magitude of size of JLR compared to BMW etc coupled with the new range of Ingenium straight 6 engines being developed at the same time the AJ126 V6 simple hasn’t been recalibrated with the hardware changes needed for EU emissions. The coins have to be spent with a degree of logic.

Associate
So why is there still a 6 cylinder petrol 3 Series?

Why did you quote half of what I said and pose a question that was answered by the other half?

...and by the fact that V6s were only about 3-5% of sales.

I just couldn't believe how poor it was inside, switches that would barely be acceptable in a basic Vauxhall. :(

It's definitely not the strongest point for me; they only remedied this fully with the 2020 facelift. The 2017 MY still has cheap window switches and a couple of other weak points but is mostly fine.

Man of Honour
Why did you quote half of what I said and pose a question that was answered by the other half?

Because it still applies - neither of the 6 cylinder variants of either car I mention account for more than 3-5% of sales either.

I guess the real reason is that 3% of poor sales anyway is a very small number.

Associate
I guess the real reason is that 3% of poor sales anyway is a very small number.
A bit under a quarter million have been made so far. Given that and how I can accelerate at the same rate as the cars you mentioned while emitting a glorious V6 sound, I'm fine to have the less common car.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom