Snow & walking to work

Soldato
OP
Agree, this is seriously out of order. Sad thing, say you did embark on this journey, aren't the buses (which are running) virtually empty? :(

I didn't embark as I pulled a trump card, childcare.

As for buses running empty, yes for the most part however public transport is currently being paid in full (costs wise except wages) by Central government so they regardless.

That said every driver's major gripe happens at 0930 every morning. Many routes become full to (reduced) capacity. It seems the OAPs think that none of the rules apply. So off they trudge everyday into town for no reason.

For me and a lot of drivers, the government dropped the ball by not suspending free travel passes, at least during lockdowns

Soldato
I didn't embark as I pulled a trump card, childcare.

As for buses running empty, yes for the most part however public transport is currently being paid in full (costs wise except wages) by Central government so they regardless.

That said every driver's major gripe happens at 0930 every morning. Many routes become full to (reduced) capacity. It seems the OAPs think that none of the rules apply. So off they trudge everyday into town for no reason.

For me and a lot of drivers, the government dropped the ball by not suspending free travel passes, at least during lockdowns

As from next week around here they'll be able to use them prior to 9.30 too. They want to run vaccinations across as many hours as possible and for people to be able to get there.

They still need the passes as they don't all drive or use the internet to get groceries.

Man of Honour
Used to walk along the canal in the mornings as it was light, but coming back it was dark so it was along past Meaford Power Station, through Barlaston to Trentham, Hanford and then to home. I used to sleep like a baby. :p

On one of my runs it was heavily raining and when I got to Meaford Power Station it dips in the road so I waded knee high through the muddy water, continued my run and came back.
When I got there a lorry driver shouted "You're not walking through that are you, it's raw sewage" :) I grabbed on the back of his lorry and he took me through.
As soon as I got to Barlaston I ran up to the canal by the Plume of Feathers and jumped in :)

Soldato
OP
As from next week around here they'll be able to use them prior to 9.30 too. They want to run vaccinations across as many hours as possible and for people to be able to get there.

They still need the passes as they don't all drive or use the internet to get groceries.

Free travel encourages unnecessary travel and that's the major problem.

Personally I would have suspended all free travel passes & setup a claim-back system. They pay for their essential travel & then claim it back.

Soldato
So yesterday the north was deluged with heavy snow and as per usual our clowncils were caught with their pants down in terms of gritting and clearing even the main roads.

My employer, a bus company, ordered drivers to WALK to work 'in case services resumed'

I refused citing that the distance was not reasonable to walk. My usual commute is via dual carriageway and 9.3miles. It would be significantly more via other routes as the dual is a no pedestrian clearway.

They tried to argue that it's less than 10 miles therefore reasonable.

So GD, what would you consider reasonable?

Also, in addtion to this, they expected drivers to sit on buses, out in the bus park, as the offices aren't big enough with covid distancing. So expected to walk in the freezing cold to then sit in it for hours.

i have argued about this in the past with a previous employer.

I was phoned by the supervisor asking me if I minded staying late because he needed to show me something important. I explained that I would have to walk for three hours to get home if I stayed late as it wouldn’t be reasonable of me to expect the gentleman I got a lift with to stay late too and I had no cash or other options to get home. So if it was possible to discuss via phone or email that would be really useful.

he said it was absolutely essential.

I stayed on and when he arrived he told me he had put a sign up directing machine operators away from the warehouse and that was it...

I then had to walk home seething. And argued that it was completely unreasonable and for some reason management didn’t agree saying it’s only a few hours. I wasn’t there much longer.

Man of Honour
FWIW I cycled to school every day - six miles each way. And a few one in four slopes to get the pedals working......

I used to cycle to work ~5 miles each way when I was younger - wouldn't even dream of it these days on most routes with the traffic you are taking your life in your hands. Good few hills on that run.

Soldato
FWIW I cycled to school every day - six miles each way. And a few one in four slopes to get the pedals working......

Welcome to the club. So did a lot of us 15-20 years ago.

As someone else has posted, 6 miles on a bike isn't far at all, on road that can easily be done in 20-40 minutes depending on your fitness level and inclines, doing the same walking would take 1hr+

Soldato
i have argued about this in the past with a previous employer.

I was phoned by the supervisor asking me if I minded staying late because he needed to show me something important. I explained that I would have to walk for three hours to get home if I stayed late as it wouldn’t be reasonable of me to expect the gentleman I got a lift with to stay late too and I had no cash or other options to get home. So if it was possible to discuss via phone or email that would be really useful.

he said it was absolutely essential.

I stayed on and when he arrived he told me he had put a sign up directing machine operators away from the warehouse and that was it...

I then had to walk home seething. And argued that it was completely unreasonable and for some reason management didn’t agree saying it’s only a few hours. I wasn’t there much longer.

What an absolute front bottom. He was very lucky not to have said sign inserted rectally.

Soldato
Or, at a push, works the staff member's shift themself.

Problem solved, no drama. Which is how management should be done - problem solved, no drama.

Never going to happen at my work. My manager fell over at home over Xmas (too much to drink as usual :rolleyes:) & tore ligaments in his leg. He'll be off sick for weeks. Even if he came back to work & he went out on the road, he'd call in sick after a day, mine is a physical job with lots of lifting & carrying. Me on the other hand has not had a day off sick in 20 years, yet If i go sick or I'll have to self-isolate due to the 'bug' the gallows will begin construction in the works yard :p I do feel sympathy for bus drivers though. I worked for a bus firm for 4 days before qutting after hearing the other drivers horror stories.

Associate
Welcome to the club. So did a lot of us 15-20 years ago.

As someone else has posted, 6 miles on a bike isn't far at all, on road that can easily be done in 20-40 minutes depending on your fitness level and inclines, doing the same walking would take 1hr+
Yes, inclines. Home to home was Kirriemuir. The only flat bit was Loch of Kinnordy.

Back
Top Bottom