Sell or keep GPU ?

Associate
Upgraded from an RX580 to a 3060ti FE

I was initially going to sell the RX580, but I thought if anything goes wrong with my new GPU then troubleshooting/diagnosing will be much easier if I keep it, as I can switch it out and find out the problem.

I do have a cheap sapphire 5450 lying around which I could use for troubleshooting but it's been sat around for over a year and not sure whether it even works properly.

Any advice ?

Associate
OP
I'd sell personally.

Chances are, you'll leave the RX 580 sitting around for a year like the 5450 and then have the same dilemma.

But if something was to go wrong with the 3060ti, would it not be easier to have a spare GPU that I know works - just so I can pin point the problem to the GPU ?

Associate
OP
Sounds like you already had your mind made up before you posted :p

Thing is I don't like selling expensive items over the internet, if I was strapped for cash I'd trade it in at CEX. But like @mickyflinn said, if anything were to happen, at least i'd be able to continue gaming in 1080p until any issue gets resolved - I never considered that.

Soldato
I'm in a similar position having replaced a 1650 Super with a 3060Ti. Also have a spare 3100, SSD... And an old ATX case, monitor, KB, mouse... 2/3 of a system! Keep, sell or build?!

Associate
OP
I'm in a similar position having replaced a 1650 Super with a 3060Ti. Also have a spare 3100, SSD... And an old ATX case, monitor, KB, mouse... 2/3 of a system! Keep, sell or build?!

The way I see it now is, best to keep one of each.
I keep a spare PSU, CPU, GPU, Ram, Heatsink and motherboard.

Makes it much easier to diagnose if anything goes wrong

Associate
its down to money.
If u need money used 580 is 200£ on ebay. madness.
But if your 3060 fails u facing same problem. no stock even for warranty.

Soldato
It's really a question of how much avoiding downtime is worth to you. What's the RX580 worth now? £150? In a year or two, depending on how the market goes, it could be back down to £80 (or less).

If I'd kept spares over the past 15 years, it would have cost me a chunky amount by now. In that time, I've had one motherboard break. I got a replacement delivered the next day, and then sold the RMA replacement when it came back. Cost me about £35 in total.

But for me, downtime on the gaming PC isn't a massive problem. I can continue to work using the Surface Pro or a laptop. And I can carry on gaming on Xbox, Stadia, Geforce Now or Quest 2. If losing the gaming PC for X amount of time is a massive problem for you, then you might be best off keeping spares and accepting they'll (usually) depreciate in value while sat in a drawer.

Associate
Depends on how you use your pc and if it's a massive inconvenience if the new card failed. There is the on-chip GPU which could do basic stuff, now is the time to sell if you decide that way.

Associate
OP
Other thing is, if the 3060ti plays up, I can pin point the problem if I switch it out to a RX580 then i'll know the GPU is at fault

Back
Top Bottom