HUKD is trash now

Soldato
If it's true that HUKD only allows links to vendors where they get some kind of referral bonus, then eventually any competitor would probably end up the same.

Money talks.

It started off as a gem of a site for people to get bargains, but clearly it's just another business now making money from affiliates and sponsors.

Mostly likely that's why deals posted by @Lmg80 and @Marky got deleted. It's got to be Amazon or Currys or someone with a referral scheme in operation.
It isn't true. It is whinging.

Soldato
The comments section on HUKD feel very much like how AVForums is now. Very similar actually. Both sites started out great, then something went wrong.
It's almost as if money went to their heads.

Caporegime
OP
It isn't true. It is whinging.
Well it's 100% true that they make money from affiliate links from links posted on the site or in the comments.

It even says so in their FAQ.

It's not a huge leap of faith to consider that they'd be biased towards links/vendors that paid them for referrals is it?

How does hotukdeals make money?
Our running costs are covered by affiliate fees, which we sometimes earn if a user buys a product they saw on our site. Whether a deal earns commission or not doesn't influence how we describe it, or the votes it receives on our site.
Notice that it doesn't say they won't take down deals for any reason at all.

Soldato
Well it's 100% true that they make money from affiliate links from links posted on the site or in the comments.

It even says so in their FAQ.

It's not a huge leap of faith to consider that they'd be biased towards links/vendors that paid them for referrals is it?

Notice that it doesn't say they won't take down deals for any reason at all.
Notice that it doesn't say something, but it literally says the exact answer to the conspiracy theory you invented? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Notice that it doesn't say something, but it literally says the exact answer to the conspiracy theory you invented? :rolleyes:
Reign in the attitude pal.

I didn't invent anything. Perhaps try reading the thread from the start. And no it doesn't say anything about how they choose to moderate deals, or the criteria they use, or whether they prefer deals for affiliate sites.

Soldato
Reign in the attitude pal.

I didn't invent anything. Perhaps try reading the thread from the start. And no it doesn't say anything about how they choose to moderate deals, or the criteria they use, or whether they prefer deals for affiliate sites.
Sorry are you saying my negativity isn't wanted?

It just annoys me that another place has fallen victim to the safe space mentality.

You can't post a comment to say that a posted deal isn't a deal without people telling you you should stop posting and your "negativity" isn't welcome.
Pot kettle black or what.

I guess OCUK is your safe space, given your 25k posts and 14 years? :D:p

Caporegime
OP
Sorry are you saying my negativity isn't wanted?
Pot kettle black or what.

I guess OCUK is your safe space, given your 25k posts and 14 years? :D:p
You're just being a douche for its own sake. I wasn't trolling HUKD; you are just trolling here in this thread.

Life's too short to deal with ****posting new members (or returnees?), so welcome to ignore.

Soldato
You're just being a douche for its own sake. I wasn't trolling HUKD; you are just trolling here in this thread.

Life's too short to deal with ****posting new members (or returnees?), so welcome to ignore.
No need for name calling. I am certainly not trolling, and if I am, I am doing a bad job at it. I have made a couple of points and read through the other comments. People moaning it isn't as good as it used to be but not stating how it could be better, and folk saying it is still generally useful. A handful complaining they can't exploit poor pricing managers mistakes when mis-pricing a product (ironic given we are supporting a local firm who would equally be the victims in this situation).

No need to be upset if someone disagrees with you on your statement, when your own quote of their FAQ contradicts you. Sorry to hurt your feelings - not sure why I would care if I disagree with your point though /s

Soldato
I lurk on there from time to time. I mainly look at the comments from 'forum members' :D I think the last thing I bought via them, & I went through quidco rather than them pick up the affiliate commission :p was a cordless vacuum cleaner for my mum.
I have bought mobile phones in the past via them based on user comments, but that was many moons ago.

Soldato
Unfortunately people don't track prices (even tho websites exist which do that for you). Heat gets added to just about everything that gets posted there. Very, very, very few things ever get a "cold" rating, unless you've posted something 50% above RRP :p
Actually, I think this is a prime example of where people do track prices >> https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/am...essor-without-cooler-ps59999-ps870-pp-3632487

The funny thing is, after posting that as a deal it went out of stock within hours, my guess is people with 'money no object' bought them up, that's the way it goes.

Caporegime
OP
Actually, I think this is a prime example of where people do track prices >> https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/am...essor-without-cooler-ps59999-ps870-pp-3632487

The funny thing is, after posting that as a deal it went out of stock within hours, my guess is people with 'money no object' bought them up, that's the way it goes.
One a doesn't make Summer swallow...

I guess I should say the content is extremely variable, and whilst there is a lot of complete crap posted (see most of the monitor "deals"), there is the occasional decent deal and some informed consumers hanging on in there.

It's just ruined by the non-deal spam from the muppets :p

Soldato
I started to use HUKD st at the start of the Pandemic because it was a good way to keep track of the free PC games they were giving away to keep you indoors. And for the first few months i was getting insane deals for top games for a couple of quid. My Steam account has tripled in size since.

But i have noticed in the last few weeks the game section seems to have been spammed by people posting Switch games at full price and calling it a deal. £35 for a switch game is insane and not what i would call a deal. And it's sort of clogging up the site and making it harder to find real deals.

Soldato
It's akin to Ebay pre-2005, was a good place to shop, got some good deals. Then Ebay stepped in and gave prominence to all sorts of bulk-sellers touting rubbish and made it worse for individual punters to sell things.

I agree with the OP, HUKD is not a patch on what it once was, it's lost that sense of crowd sourcing about it, now it manipulates what's there for its own gain.

Need we be reminded at what a debacle Amazon's Black Friday offering has become as well, the first one was great enough deals to be of interest to most, but not so many it got pointless, and the things on offer were actually good with reasonable reductions. Now like most things it's been manipulated to such a degree it's lost all meaning to the original concept.

Caporegime
I started to use HUKD st at the start of the Pandemic because it was a good way to keep track of the free PC games they were giving away to keep you indoors. And for the first few months i was getting insane deals for top games for a couple of quid. My Steam account has tripled in size since.

But i have noticed in the last few weeks the game section seems to have been spammed by people posting Switch games at full price and calling it a deal. £35 for a switch game is insane and not what i would call a deal. And it's sort of clogging up the site and making it harder to find real deals.

Problem is all the morons voting hot.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was rigged. That a deal they get a lot of commission on gets an extra fee hundred degrees here and there to help it hit the top.

Soldato
Problem is all the morons voting hot.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was rigged. That a deal they get a lot of commission on gets an extra fee hundred degrees here and there to help it hit the top.

This is very likely, rare to see editor deals go cold .

There's a guy on there that posts bagels every week without fail. They are the same price, every week, and in most other supermarkets. Yet it always gets votes hot. I can only assume there is some background 'hot' voting going on.

Associate
Its been trash for sometime now. It used to be on my daily browsing/flicking through routine where I would check if there was anything of interest briefly. I very rarely look now as its all crap and you can spot the affiliate deals from a mile off.

Whenever a site starts with editors/moderators/super users whatever you wanna call them you know they have set an agenda and anything that gets in the way of that will be quickly removed and the community purpose is gone. Look at reddit and their super mods who control most of the big sub's.

Its a shame, ive found some good deals on all kinds of stuff there but I cant remember the last time I bought anything after seeing it there. its just regular prices crap with 2p off.

Back
Top Bottom