• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best 2nd hand graphics card for ripping.!

Associate
Hi guys, I've currently got a i7 Ivybridge cpu, 8gb ram and a gtx Titan X maxwell graphics card..... I've got lots of discs to rip to plex, my card will do blu ray and dvd but won't decode h.265 4k.... The cpu has to decode it which takes over 20 hours.... Yawn.
So I'm in the market for a new 2nd hand card..... Which would be best..... Gtx 1660.? Rtx 2060, 2080.?......I'm not a big gamer but play occasionally...... It's more for video.? Which do you recommend.?
I want something pretty quick which won't take forever especially for 4k

Caporegime
Are you using handbrake? Though GPU acceleration speeds up the ripping quite a lot I didn't think it was supposed to be particularly taxing on the GPU?

Will it even make a difference?

Associate
OP
I'm useing dvdfab..... Although i have used handbrake but prefer dvdfab all in one.... Since I've had it..... My current gpu is fine with dvd and blu ray to. H. 264 but 4k to h. 265 is mind numbingly slow...... Over 20 hours..... So hence a new gpu which is h. 265 compatible with decoding and encoding....... My gpu ain't compatible with decoding h. 265 has to use the cpu but will encode h. 265...

Associate
OP
Oh sorry, I see what you mean now.

I think any GPU with h.265 decoding should be fine. It's not like a 2080 will be twice as fast as a 2060.
Well thsts it..... I know the gtx 1650 and 1660 will do h. 265 decoding and encoding, im just wondering if speed and quality wise it's worth getting ripping wise getting a rtx2080 or 2060

Associate
OP
Well I'll go up to around £800..... But if there's not much improvement from a 1660 to a 2080 speed wise then i can't see no point spending that amount I'm only a occasional gamer

Caporegime
Lol they're like gold dust ain't they..... I would probably if they were more about.!

You want a 1650 super.

Has to be the super not the 1650 normal variant.

Also there is an issue with h265 and 10 bit HDR iirc. It cannot encode it properly and therefore gets downgraded to 8bit or non HDR or something. CPU encoding is the only workaround afaik.

1650 super can do multiple 4k transcoded streams at the same time so it should be pretty fast at ripping as it's the same type of workload and why a 1650 super is better for twitch streamers than a 1080ti is for the purpose of transcoding.

Associate
OP
You want a 1650 super.

Has to be the super not the 1650 normal variant.

Also there is an issue with h265 and 10 bit HDR iirc. It cannot encode it properly and therefore gets downgraded to 8bit or non HDR or something. CPU encoding is the only workaround afaik.

1650 super can do multiple 4k transcoded streams at the same time so it should be pretty fast at ripping as it's the same type of workload and why a 1650 super is better for twitch streamers than a 1080ti is for the purpose of transcoding.
Thanks for that at least i can get one of those.! I'll take a look much appreciated

Caporegime
Thanks for that at least i can get one of those.! I'll take a look much appreciated

I use a 1650 super in my unraid server for this very reason.

I don't know if the 10 bit HDR issue is a software issue or a hardware issue.

I'll likely keep it fora while yet until things calm down but hopefully within a few years they bring out another cheap transcoding powerhouse.

I paid £145ish for my 1650 super brand new. No doubt prices have went up thanks to Covid and Brexit now but you don't need to spend £800 far from it.

Trust me the 1650 super is the best option unless the new 3xxx series fixed the 10 bit HDR issue I've been having.

Back
Top Bottom