Why only two gang plug sockets in the UK?

Soldato
Sure there is a limit to spurs on a Ring regardless?

Need to dig out the regs.

Either way that image looks nasty, just looking at it questions overall electrical safety in wherever it is.

Soldato
Generally to stop so much load going through a single point. That 3 gang unit you link to is fused so you can only draw 13 amps over the 3 sockets, plugging 2 large appliances into a double socket can be a hazard in itself, I have seen melted sockets because of it. Yes you can buy a 10 gang extension but it depends what you are using it for, remember all those 10 sockets can only draw 13 amps.

Washing machine/tumble dryer both plugged in the same dual socket? Seen more than one burnt socket myself.

Caporegime
A ring main has two neutrals and two lives into the socket. Therefor any load is shared between the two wire pairs.

A daisy chain is just adding more load to the single wire that’s plugged into the wall. You could have 11 things plugged into 2 gang extensions into one 13amp socket !

There is a reason you are only allowed one spur off a ring. And not a spur off a spur, which is what a daisy chained extension in an extension is.

unless we have miss understood what daisy chain means.

EU wiring is sometimes daisy chained. But they use 4mm core wire

I really have no idea how you can say a ring main (used in every house in the U.K. ) is no different to a daisy chain (eg plugging everything in a house into one socket with several combinations of extension leads). Please explain

Soldato
Washing machine/tumble dryer both plugged in the same dual socket? Seen more than one burnt socket myself.

Yeah exactly that.

If you can’t see the similarity between a ring main and a daisy chain then I don’t know what to tell you.

They are totally different. Maybe you are talking about a radial circuit, certainly not a ring.

Soldato
I’m not even sure how this thread got to where it is now.

Radial or ring, both have their merits both have their drawbacks, both are also fine if done correctly. Spurs are also fine if done correctly, as are extension leads.

A daisy chains isn’t specific and means different things to different people and could describe both a ring and a radial circuit.

Caporegime
Daisy chain or a daisy necklace ;p

Anyway there is no way to make extension leads a daisy chain that suits the definitions of a ring is there.

Soldato
Daisy chain or a daisy necklace ;p

Anyway there is no way to make extension leads a daisy chain that suits the definitions of a ring is there.

You're the only one that’s talking about extension leads, never mentioned them. Appreciate people talk about daisy chaining extensions but the context was putting multiple 2gang sockets into the ring.

For comparison to a ring main/final a daisy chain;
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/daisy_chain#/media/File:Daisy_chain.JPG

Associate
That three gang just looks so wrong. Room with most plug sockets in my house is my study followed by the kitchen. Just not enough sockets in most rooms.

Back
Top Bottom