Looking for a compact 'family' car - long distance

Soldato
As title says, I'm looking for a fairly compact family car.

After moving to Amsterdam from the US, I had to sell all vehicles I had (1 car, 2 motorbikes) and for now, I've got a motorbike but we're about to buy a house here. As much as I'd love to splash out and grab my dream car (RS6), with a house purchase coming up and trying for our first child, I simply can't justify the spend.

I am in absolute love with the Volvo V60 2020 model, however we have underground parking here in Amsterdam and parking is VERY tight, that and I just don't see the point in buying one if I'm going to be grabbing the the dream car in a year or 2 (why buy one station wagon when I anticipate another in less than 2 years). One condition though, we will be doing a LOT of mileage on it, often 12 hours trips in one stint, from NL to PL, or NL to UK for example.

So, what option do I have for a small, yet fun car? I thought about the Mini Clubman but it doesn't inspire much confidence in the sense of fun unless you pay through the nose for the upgrades.

I'd say our budget is probably 50k EUR, this is a his and hers sort of car, no ****'s given to it's state, no mods to it, regular servicing etc. Literally a daily runner.

Caporegime
What about an RS3 Sedan? My S3 managed to deliver “family car” duties whilst my son was under 3, it’d be a bit of a squeeze now what with the larger toys he wants with him when we go out, but seeing as this seems to be a stepping stone vehicle, why not!

Caporegime
I would never want to do those distances in anything less than 5 series size. 3 series at a push Definitely not Focus hatchback size.

To be fair the Volvo V60 seems already a good shout. I do UK to LT and rear cabin space is very important as when one driver is having a rest a decent amount of leg room is a big deal. Boot space is also a big deal as unlike flying you have plenty of room to bring stuff back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom