** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Associate
Mr Musk plans to deliver broadband internet around the world, using 42,000 satellites.
His Space X company has launched more than 800 into orbit already and hopes to have 12,000 in the sky by 2026.

Quoted from the BBC Tech webpage, I'm sure the service will be great but really, another 42,000 satellites! We kept getting told of all the junk already floating around up there, is this really worth it?
You think that's bad, there are at least 2 competing systems going up at as well. Maybe not using the same number of satellites but still considerable numbers. The UK state has an interest in Oneweb, saved it from administration, which I read somewhere they were hoping to use as a GPS type system as well as we've lost access to the Galileo with Brexit.

Soldato
They'll have to static fire again, 60 seconds of a 8 minute burn does not seem like a lot of information but am no rocket scientist.

So over comms they stated the shut down was due to "major component failure"

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's a dumb question...

So Virgin Orbit apparently have a test tomorrow - LauncherOne can apparently deliver a 300kg payload to 500km Sun-synchronous orbit. The International Space Station is 400km high - if LauncherOne attempted to deliver some kind of payload to the ISS, would it be at the wrong speed and just smash through it? I'm aware Virgin are aiming at micro satellites, but it's just a technical question I find fascinating.

Soldato
Here's a dumb question...

So Virgin Orbit apparently have a test tomorrow - LauncherOne can apparently deliver a 300kg payload to 500km Sun-synchronous orbit. The International Space Station is 400km high - if LauncherOne attempted to deliver some kind of payload to the ISS, would it be at the wrong speed and just smash through it? I'm aware Virgin are aiming at micro satellites, but it's just a technical question I find fascinating.

Sadly they’d need a bigger rocket to even dock at the ISS and that’s just not possible with that design.

Back
Top Bottom