• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Caporegime
im starting to think a lot of folk buying gpu's on ebay actually have no idea about gpu's, they just buying anything, even if it cant run a toaster, never mind a game:D
I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people only check eBay and Amazon. If it's cheaper or roughly the same price they'll buy on eBay, even if it's used vs new.

Seems crazy to me, but eBay has like a cult following now of people who just buy from eBay. I guess it's like a gambling addiction or something, gotta win that auction!

Associate
I have bought few broken gpus 3 months back.
580 20£
1060 25£
1060 25£
570 22£
and few more.
sold few back for doubble as broken. sadly cant buy any more broken gpus under 20-25. now they are 50 - 99 as broken.

Caporegime
I have bought few broken gpus 3 months back.
580 20£
1060 25£
1060 25£
570 22£
and few more.
sold few back for doubble as broken. sadly cant buy any more broken gpus under 20-25. now they are 50 - 99 as broken.
Pure desperation to buy a broken GPU for £100 :D

Guess it makes a good paperweight tho. Or a doorstop.

Associate
some ppl take a gamble and hope to revive the gpu by baking it in oven and reseling.

I was buying broken cards purly for learning how they work and how to repair them. no luck on repair coz all of them had gpu chips failed. unrepairable to a point. still doubbled my money . madness.
unfortunately my learning adventures are on hold. no way im paying 50£ for a broken 270 or 7970hd. common.

Associate
As long as you're careful (obviously in lockdown you can't) Facebook market place is also an option. It certainly feels much better when you haven't got to pay Ebay and PayPal out of your final sale.

Associate
As long as you're careful (obviously in lockdown you can't) Facebook market place is also an option. It certainly feels much better when you haven't got to pay Ebay and PayPal out of your final sale.

The Bay has had it`s up`s and down`s over years but i have say things have got very bad over the last 10 months or so. The few items that i have sold and bought in that time have resulted in fair number of fraud attempts

Associate
Just sold an old Walkman. An aiwa hspx 101. Which apparently is extremely sought after for £300. The insanity goes on :eek:

lol, I've had my old sony walkman in a drawer for decades, just looked up the model and they're £130 on ebay. I bought it for £3 off a mate.

I sold my 2080 super for £10 less than I paid a year ago as well. The insanity most certainly does go on.

Soldato
The Bay has had it`s up`s and down`s over years but i have say things have got very bad over the last 10 months or so. The few items that i have sold and bought in that time have resulted in fair number of fraud attempts

This is the issue I have with eBay, the potential for fraud is massive and eBay themselves seem to have a very much buyer biased outlook to life and just refund buyers with a lot of the time no questions asked leaving sellers in the complete lurch. The horror stories I have heard of people getting sent back supposedly "faulty" cards and its actually not even the one that they sent, but some swines broken card which you have kindly now replaced for free totally puts me off

I mean people are bidding!! £900+ for Radeon VII cards which is mind bending!

Associate
OP
This is the issue I have with eBay, the potential for fraud is massive and eBay themselves seem to have a very much buyer biased outlook to life and just refund buyers with a lot of the time no questions asked leaving sellers in the complete lurch. The horror stories I have heard of people getting sent back supposedly "faulty" cards and its actually not even the one that they sent, but some swines broken card which you have kindly now replaced for free totally puts me off

I mean people are bidding!! £900+ for Radeon VII cards which is mind bending!

I always put a picture of the serial number in the add. That way they can't send back a different item! That also means that fraudsters won't bid on it. Hopefully!

Soldato
The apps like spock and gumtree and facebook market are just full of scammers and dodgey people now it seems..... prices are insane and no one is prepared to even negotiate stuff like collecting and being shown working etc... most names are "hassan" or "jamal" and 90% of the pics look like stock photos. I have given up trying to find bargains anymore in the sea of scammers.

Soldato
I always put a picture of the serial number in the add. That way they can't send back a different item! That also means that fraudsters won't bid on it. Hopefully!

Agreed absolutely. You most likely still have to have that fight with customer services and prove you are telling the truth regardless though annoyingly.....they will have of course already removed the £400-500 from your account and held it too based on the dodgy buyer raising their complaint without discussing the alleged issue first :(

Caporegime
Agreed absolutely. You most likely still have to have that fight with customer services and prove you are telling the truth regardless though annoyingly.....they will have of course already removed the £400-500 from your account and held it too based on the dodgy buyer raising their complaint without discussing the alleged issue first :(
Frankly I will only buy and sell 2nd hand PC stuff on the MM here. Not worth the (potential) drama/hassle buying or selling elsewhere.

Only use eBay for low value items now, <£30 or so.

Associate
The apps like spock and gumtree and facebook market are just full of scammers and dodgey people now it seems..... prices are insane and no one is prepared to even negotiate stuff like collecting and being shown working etc... most names are "hassan" or "jamal" and 90% of the pics look like stock photos. I have given up trying to find bargains anymore in the sea of scammers.

If you can not collect or test with those markets forget it.

Associate

This is what you have to do is cover all possible come back events that way you have evidence just incase but remember the Bay and paypal will still try to of load all responsibility. It always surprises me how many sellers of items do not put up details and only stock photos.

Soldato
I remember once I bought a broken ATI Radeon 1950XTX for 25 quid, I couldn't get it to work :(, I didn't try the oven method, could have probaby put some life into it and have sold it for over 150 at the time.

Back
Top Bottom