WhatsApp mandatory data sharing with Facebook

Soldato
Sorry guys I cant take reading through all the posts here. I did try but sometimes it feels like a flat earthers convention.

What is the real issue here? Do I now need to have a facebook account to use whatsapp on my burner or not?

Capodecina
Soldato
Messaging platform Signal said on Friday it was experiencing "technical difficulties" as it worked to accommodate millions of new users. The company has seen a huge uptick in interest since its rival WhatsApp unveiled new privacy terms last week.
Ho, Ho, Ho!

Soldato
Not that I was great WhatsApp user or even have that many people I interact with via text messaging but I've insta-binned WA in favour of Signal. Already one crony excuse me of being antisocial by dropping WA and having too resort back to SMS to contact me.

Bonus!

Permabanned
Not that I was great WhatsApp user or even have that many people I interact with via text messaging but I've insta-binned WA in favour of Signal. Already one crony excuse me of being antisocial by dropping WA and having too resort back to SMS to contact me.

Bonus!

Well that’s all good, until like today SMS on three was down the whole morning for certain areas. I could only communicate via a phone call and telegram this morning lol

Also just for info whatsapp has pulled the plug for couple months till they re-check the policy. I think they scared about how many users have moved from the platform. It’s obvious.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Soldato
Well I'm never going back to it; irrespective whether people I know move to Signal or not. WA was the only thing I still used which had any affiliation with FB; so glad to be finally rid.

Soldato
To add to the above it's also my last remaining link to FB as this latest data grab attempts made me do a full assessment of my accounts and ended up decommissioning my Instagram account (barely used anyway) to hopefully close the loop when I've got the message across to friends and family that I'm seriously leaving WhatsApp.

Associate
Maybe I'm being naiive, but I don't get what all the fuss is about. They can't see the content of your messages. Who cares if Facebook have your IP address, or know your battery level, or how often you use the app and for how long? To be honest, I'm suprised facebook didn't already have this information seeing as they own WhatsApp.

I get that some people like to be as private as possible, but what data specifically are people concerned about Facebook now having that they didn't previously, and why are you concerned about it? It's a genuine question, I'm not trying to provoke!!

This 100%.

Soldato
I've just sent a broadcast to my most contacted friends to let them know I'm going to delete my account to avoid any misunderstanding such as people thinking I've blocked them.

Facebook is a service I absolutely detest to the point I deleted my account around summer last year and honestly, I have not missed it one bit. Facebook in my opinion (and other social media platforms, but more so Facebook) whilst not the only reason, is a big reason why society has taken a turn for the worse.

I believe it's encouraged narcissistic behaviour as typically, users of this platform value the recognition of others more in either comments or followers. This is before you consider the fact the platform has become too big for Facebook themselves, I'm sure they never meant it to have the ability to sway elections, including foreign state influences but that has happened.

Whilst the newest ToS doesn't impact me (supposedly) being a UK resident, I feel a little hypocritical in using the service when I don't like Facebook. I understand the need to monetise it and I'm paying with having my meta data shared, so I'm taking WhatsApp up on its offer of agreeing to that data being shared or not using the service.

I've told people I'm moving to signal (which I'm going to set up a reoccurring donation for) and there's no push from my side for them to follow, they have a choice in what service they use and I'll respect that. I'm still around on SMS or voice call if I'm needed.

Back
Top Bottom