The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Associate
@ik9000 Sorry buddy, it's always the last one! :p

1. Scottish? Yes
2. Single malt? Yes
3. With a finisher? No (not a 'finisher')
4. Speyside? No
5. Island? No
6. Type of cask in the name? No (but the cask make up is known)
7. Highland? No
8. Lowland? No

Soldato
just pciked up a bottle of glenfarclas 15 and a Jura 12.

I have always stayed away from Jura not sure why but I always thoguht it was full of peat, and I am not overly keen on heavilly peated whisky (caol ila non withsatanding as that was actually nice), but laphroaig is like drinking TCP that has been set on fire where rubber tyers are the primary fuel !!!!!

will report back once i taste the Jura

Associate
According to the Scotch Whisky Regulations there are three protected regions, Highland, Lowland, and Speyside. There are also two protected 'localities', Islay and Campbeltown. I don't think they are forced to use the region or localities on the bottle, and certain Speysiders actually say Highland. If an Islay or a Campbeltown didn't want to use their own locality, they would both fall under Highland.

1. Scottish? Yes
2. Single malt? Yes
3. With a finisher? No (not a 'finisher')
4. Speyside? No
5. Island? No
6. Type of cask in the name? No (but the cask make up is known)
7. Highland? No
8. Lowland? No
9. Kilkerran? Yes

I've dropped the Springbank question for you since you already got Kilkerran!

Associate
Isn't that just a part of lowland like dufftown is part of Speyside? Kilkerran
No, Campbeltown is its own distinct region. Years ago it was actually one of, if not the, biggest by number of distilleries. They were in danger of losing the unique region status recently because most of them had shut down, which is why Springbank opened the Kilkerran distillery as well.

Soldato
No, Campbeltown is its own distinct region. Years ago it was actually one of, if not the, biggest by number of distilleries. They were in danger of losing the unique region status recently because most of them had shut down, which is why Springbank opened the Kilkerran distillery as well.
In my head i've always lumped it with lowland but guess I need to revise more! It's definitely the region I know least well. I'm not sure I've even tried springbank tbh.

Associate
In my head i've always lumped it with lowland but guess I need to revise more! It's definitely the region I know least well. I'm not sure I've even tried springbank tbh.

All three Campbeltown distilleries are fantastic. Get Kilkerran 12, Springbank 15, and Glen Scotia Victoriana on your shopping list.

Soldato
Good news Master of Malt is now shipping to Northern Ireland! I've ordered Caol Illa, Highland Park 12 and Craigellachie 13. I haven't had the Caol Illa or the Craigellachie so I'll be interested to see what these are like.

Associate
Springbank has 3 distinct releases. Springbank itself, Hazelburn and Longrow. Hazelburn is their triple distilled unpeated range and Longrow is their heavily peated one which is double distilled. All very distinct. It's a pity they have to run the 3 from the same site, it's part of why they are all so hard to get, when they are having to split their available distilling time making different new make spirit for each.

Associate
Good news Master of Malt is now shipping to Northern Ireland! I've ordered Caol Illa, Highland Park 12 and Craigellachie 13. I haven't had the Caol Illa or the Craigellachie so I'll be interested to see what these are like.
That's good to hear, hopefully others will be following suit soon.

Soldato
Springbank has 3 distinct releases. Springbank itself, Hazelburn and Longrow. Hazelburn is their triple distilled unpeated range and Longrow is their heavily peated one which is double distilled. All very distinct. It's a pity they have to run the 3 from the same site, it's part of why they are all so hard to get, when they are having to split their available distilling time making different new make spirit for each.
Interesting re triple distilled. There aren't many Scottish single malts that are iirc. The only other one I can think of is auchentoshan

Back
Top Bottom