Educate me about catalytic convertor theft

Soldato
- You can ask for the new cat to have bolts welded to prevent this again.
- You can get a cat-clamp to protect it from being stolen again.
- Although this did not happen at home the usual drill is to be twice as vigilant as they tend to go back to the same car after a few weeks as they know you will have bought a new one.

Soldato
- You can ask for the new cat to have bolts welded to prevent this again.
- You can get a cat-clamp to protect it from being stolen again.
- Although this did not happen at home the usual drill is to be twice as vigilant as they tend to go back to the same car after a few weeks as they know you will have bought a new one.

The thieves tend to just grind it off before and after the cat

like so:
poster_ad15617a835840188c79fb0fbd8dbe97..jpg

Soldato
The raw metal prices have all gone a bit mental. Even Clio 172 genuine cats are being bought by recyclers in the region of £400-500. Hybrids definitely do top that though!
I used to have a RS clio 172.

Woke up one day to find it on bricks.

Some sod had stollen my R
TURINI alloys and the cat.

I just fitted a decat which was in the garage. I'd not been arsed with fitting it at that stage. Kinda forced my hand. And I put my spare set of 182 wheels on.

I do miss that car

Soldato
The two favourites are the Honda Jazz and the Toyota Prius/Auris hybrids as the cat contain lots of Rhodium which is £LOL. The newer Toyotas have the cat in the engine bay so they can't just jack it up and chop it off with an angle grinder in a minute or so ... as above.

For a Toyota you're looking at £1300+ to get it replaced from the dealer, and a long wait for parts.

Naturally my insurance on an Auris just went up £200. I wonder why!

D4N

D4N

Associate
Where I work, one of our customers is Catloc. We have made thousands of catalytic converter guards for them. Loads for toyotas and sprinter vans seem to be pretty regular too.

Soldato
Video popped up on FB the other week. On trying to find it, there are hundreds, lol. Broad day light.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cat+theft

Edit; This was the one I had in mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUlikgzaDOE&ab_channel=cib24

Just hoping one day the car falls off the jack and crushes the ****ers. Honda Jazz, Prius' and Sprinters are all targets. A lot of Eastern European gangs involved in this area and obviously our traveller friends have a hand in it from time to time too.

Soldato
Bet they don't cost the £200 they charge to manufacture either!

And I bet they arent solid enough to bother anyone with an angle grinder :\

They should line them with something which jams up saws, like chainsaw proof clothing. If it shatters in their face or snaps their wrist, to bad.

Soldato
At market rates there was £300-500 worth of precious metals in the Toyota/Jazz cats that were often stolen pre COVID. Prices crashed somewhat when demand tanked as China locked down a year ago. The hybrid cats are generally in better condition as the combustion engine runs less. I'd be amazed if the miscreants stealing them are getting more than round of beer money for each one. Will be the people at the upper levels of organised crime making proper coin. Law enforcement seem unconcerned.

Soldato
And I bet they arent solid enough to bother anyone with an angle grinder :\

They should line them with something which jams up saws, like chainsaw proof clothing. If it shatters in their face or snaps their wrist, to bad.

Catloc is the one approved by Toyota. If you get a stolen cat replaced they include it now. Tamper proof bolts, security marking etc. I see it mainly a deterrent similar to the steering wheel or gearlever type locks used to irritate the TWOCers in the 90s. Security marking isn't worth anything if the Police don't try and catch them.

I've seen other third party ones that weld extra metal bars to the edges of the plates and use steel cables around the cat to further increase the nuisance factor. More likely to be a nuisance to the owner that has to replace the exhaust!

Back
Top Bottom