IT Career - paths

Caporegime
Thanks for the advice. I thought that Cisco CCNA was more like an expertise level. I will have a look about it as well as the costs involved. In regards getting a first line job, I've been trying for a while but as people have mentioned above I am literally competing against thousands of people with the same entry level knowledge that I have. But I will keep trying !

CCNA is pretty simple stuff, a good chunk of the certification is basic networking skills (brand agnostic) that will help you understand the fundamentals of networking. Sure some of the course is Cisco specific, but that's no bad thing. With your head-down, assuming you have the desire and the technological interest, you can knock CCNA on it's head in a matter of weeks, though I'd probably budget for 1-2 months.

CCNP is your "intermediate/advanced" level, and CCIE is your "expert" level.

Associate
OP
CCNA is pretty simple stuff, a good chunk of the certification is basic networking skills (brand agnostic) that will help you understand the fundamentals of networking. Sure some of the course is Cisco specific, but that's no bad thing. With your head-down, assuming you have the desire and the technological interest, you can knock CCNA on it's head in a matter of weeks, though I'd probably budget for 1-2 months.

CCNP is your "intermediate/advanced" level, and CCIE is your "expert" level.

I understand. Tonight when I get back home from work I will search for about it and see what I can find.
Thank you very much

Man of Honour
IT is a very competitive field. Many people start in a support type role where you work on issues reported by users, investigate them, and fix them. This could be issues with their PC, email issues or more specific applications (e.g. in the case of a bank you might be working on tickets for internet banking, trading systems, etc). Many other people start as junior programmers and the field is quite wide. There are many languages and many different types of programming from application development to web development, etc . As has been mentioned Python is a good language to start with. But both of those routes are highly competitive.

Security, which you've mentioned, is a good niche. I don't personally know how to get started in that direction as it's not a field I have worked in. But a good understanding of operating systems and applications would be beneficial. So working in either a support or programming role may of use here, although others with more specific Security knowledge will be better able to advise.

Although "getting into IT" can be difficult simply due to how competitive it is, you do have an advantage. You already have business domain knowledge in fast food, warehousing and sport/football. So one suggestion may be to see whether your current company has any IT department and see if there are vacancies for any role there. If not then look for junior roles in those domains. For example searching for jobs for infrastructure support for sports clubs, sports companies, betting companies, etc. That way you still get to enjoy your love of sport indirectly, you move into an IT role and have business domain experience to help as an advantage over other applicants.

Associate
Learn SQL - its very easy to get a basic understanding and have a play around with data - it's plain text so very easy to read. Loads of people don't bother with learning it (and become Excel "gurus" instead) and therefore you can get decent money from an entry level job and go from there as there's less competition compared to people who fix PCs.

Associate
Go to www.CWJobs.co.Uk and do a job search with the max commute distance you’ll be happy to travel for a job.
Check the results for the salary you can start with then look at the skills they want, if the role isn’t interesting, move to the next until you hopefully find a role you’d like to do. Then check the other roles out to see how much demand there is for IT and the skills you’re interested in getting or have.

My advice is to get some Linux experience, then bash scripting and learn some python. Maybe get a few raspberry pis, to learn the above, then maybe get an understanding of ansible, docker etc for devops roles.

Caporegime
Can't deny that it was, 8 years ago, before being diagnosed with the hearth failure. Took me a while to accept that I wouldn't be able to play anymore but now I've moved on and my head is set about getting into IT industry

Can you not try and make a football app game or ask a football club if they need someone for it?

Caporegime
Back in college I was qualified to network installation and troubleshooting. Recently completed my CompTIA ITF+

Programming is something that I never really considered as a contender because I don't really know much about it. At the college I remember learning about VB / C / C+ .
What programming language would you say it's better to start off/worth learning for someone that will start with a clean slate?

It's still not clear what you did at college tbh... was this a college in your home country some years ago? Perhaps the qualifications aren't clear, maybe you can find out what the UK equivalent is and be explicit in stating that equivalent on your CV.

Like if you've done the equivalent to some NVQ or A-Levels or a BTEC or a foundation degree or a BSc etc.. then being able to state that might make it easier for employers, it would make it easier for people reading the thread too.

If you've got some experience of C/C++ then you shouldn't have much trouble picking up the likes of Java, C#, Python etc... unless it was just a very brief intro to those languages.

You should probably look at what area you want to go into, "IT" is rather broad, I'm not sure the CompTIA qualification you've got is good for anything more than an entry-level helpdesk role, it seems to be more entry-level than their A+ thing.

There are plenty of free courses available online and plenty of certificates, opportunities for further academic study (either remotely or via a degree apprenticeship)

Perhaps look into degree apprenticeships depending on your current academic qualifications, they literally pay you to work and study at the same time and you don't need to pay tuition fees.

Soldato
My path was starting as a 1st line techie fixing day to day problems, then working up to 2nd, 3rd line, then into installations, and finally, where I am today, as a technical architect.

Age is still on your side. The biggest tip I can give is to avoid large corporations like the plague when you're starting out. I started at IBM, and was invisible. It was impossible to progress.

Look for job adverts from smaller IT service providers; they'll have customers with a wide array of technologies that you'll get to play with, that you wouldn't elsewhere. I went from having to fill forms in for a password reset to troubleshooting interesting technologies at a level IBM would never allow... And there was a continual trajectory upwards from that point.

Another thing I'd suggest is not bothering with the comptia certs everyone suggests on here. It's just as easy to get certs that actually mean something... Get some ms mcp's under your belt instead, or a basic cisco cert as someone else mentioned. Those Comptia certs are just pointless in today's world.

MS offer some free training days, and often thrown in a free exam the same day:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/events/training-days/

I'd especially keep an aye on the Azure ones, as they run regular events that give you the AZ900 Fundamentals exam for free. That's a basic introduction to cloud computing, but infinitely more useful today than any comptia cert. Get some azure experience and the sky is the limit... Literally paths for every type of IT job going, so you'd be able to learn the basics without pigeonholing yourself right from the start.

Good luck!

Associate
OP
Good morning everyone.
First, I would like to apologize for the delay on answering your messages but I forgot about the "max 15 post in 24h".

Thank you all for the answers on the thread, which I've read them all and researched about the trainings/courses/potential job requirements that you have mentioned above, there was great content out there on the shared links.

@dowie sorry if it wasn't clear. My educational background is coming all from my home country and I finally understood that they are not recognise in England. New courses/trainings are definitely a way to go for me now

@shephga I've always been around computers since I was 6 years old but really triggered me into IT industry is the fact that I'm never satisfied with my knowledge level, I am constantly chasing new things to learn, new things to try. The IT industry is an industry that never stops improving/changing so there are always new stuff to keep learning. That motivates me a lot and makes me feel alive.
About your suggestion it was a good call, refresh my Linux knowledge would be a good way to start as well, thanks.

Have a great day you all. Be safe.
-pr0xyc-

Caporegime
@dowie sorry if it wasn't clear. My educational background is coming all from my home country and I finally understood that they are not recognise in England. New courses/trainings are definitely a way to go for me now

I don't see why you couldn't do something along the lines of finding out what the equivalent is and mentioning it too, a hiring manager might not be familiar with all the different qualifications from around the world but if you point out the UK equivalent then that would be helpful. Unlike vendor certificates, your college qualification shouldn't go out of date.

Like maybe:

2010 - some foreign college - whatever certificate in Information Technology - (equivalent to a UK BTEC)

Soldato
My path was starting as a 1st line techie fixing day to day problems, then working up to 2nd, 3rd line, then into installations, and finally, where I am today, as a technical architect.

Good luck!
Where do you see your next step? We have a 3rd party providing our TA's but we have the rest of enterprise architecture in house. We've had some TA's come over to Solution Architecture. I'm primarily an InfoArch and help out with Solution and Business arch when needed. Personally think it will be move into solution arch and then i'll be working up the paygrades but not sure what's after that really apart from management.
We have IBM working with ourselves, god knows how many contracted probs 50+ full timers from them. All seem pretty happy when chatting to them.

Soldato
Where do you see your next step? We have a 3rd party providing our TA's but we have the rest of enterprise architecture in house. We've had some TA's come over to Solution Architecture. I'm primarily an InfoArch and help out with Solution and Business arch when needed. Personally think it will be move into solution arch and then i'll be working up the paygrades but not sure what's after that really apart from management.
We have IBM working with ourselves, god knows how many contracted probs 50+ full timers from them. All seem pretty happy when chatting to them.

I'm quite happy at TA level right now. The obvious next step would be solutions architect, but I can't see myself pushing for that any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom