• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Pcie riser cable and vertical mounted gpu questions ...

Associate
So Ive never done this before.

Im looking at the corsair 5000x case - the pdf manual says pcie extension cable sold separately.

So what do you need to do and need to do this? ... Need the cable? what about securing this to the case? and the one corsair sells is pcie 3 - is there a difference between this and pcie 4? - I plan to get a 3060ti or 3070 when available ...

thanks

Associate
Hi , i can vouch for the LINKUP - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable [RTX3090 x570 B550 RX6900XT Tested] use one myself , question is does the corsair 5000x have triple slot for verticle card mounting only i have the 500d se and its only double

Associate
OP
Hi , i can vouch for the LINKUP - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable [RTX3090 x570 B550 RX6900XT Tested] use one myself , question is does the corsair 5000x have triple slot for verticle card mounting only i have the 500d se and its only double

If it only has 2 vertical brackets this means only 2 and wont be ideal for vertically mounting? (least air).

Associate
If it only has 2 vertical brackets this means only 2 and wont be ideal for vertically mounting? (least air).
Hi , yes only suitable for a two slot gfx card , maybe get away with up to a 2.7 slot card for instance but wouldn't work very well with a 3 slot card like most of the high end cards are now.
i am trying to get a reference 6800xt as this will fit mine just about.
the other option you have is a phantechs p500 case , very similar to what your looking at but 3 slot

Associate
OP
Hi , yes only suitable for a two slot gfx card , maybe get away with up to a 2.7 slot card for instance but wouldn't work very well with a 3 slot card like most of the high end cards are now.
i am trying to get a reference 6800xt as this will fit mine just about.
the other option you have is a phantechs p500 case , very similar to what your looking at but 3 slot

ahh thanks - looks like the evga xc3 is a 2 slot card ... didnt know I would be so restrictive. Wanted an msi tri cooler card but looks like the are 3 slot ones.

Soldato
Just get the Phanteks P500A like you planned to before you talked yourself out of it, it has 3 slot vertical and they will sell you the riser cable. :p:D
Sorry to hijack, but this looks perfect. I've been considering a vertical mount case. The other option for me, is one where the entire motherboard is rotated, and all of the slots come out the top.

Associate
OP
Just get the Phanteks P500A like you planned to before you talked yourself out of it, it has 3 slot vertical and they will sell you the riser cable. :p:D

Haha ya ... could still cx my order ... your going to get me 'thinking' again; already taken me over 2 months to decide (shortages helped my procrastination :)

Soldato
The P500A also has the graphic card anti-sag bracket included in accessories.
Oh neat. I'm slightly confused as to how that is meant to work, as the manual isn't super clear. Does that work if the GPU is mounted vertiically? I found a video on Kitguru.

I found this photo on Reddit which shows a Strix RTX 2080 Ti with a Noctua D15s: https://imgur.com/a/ACdkIxX I was concerned about CPU cooler space if the 3090 was mounted vertically, as it's a big card. I think I might do what djxput is considering and just go for the P500A. I have an AiO cooler right now, but I want to swap back to just air. My first i7-920 had a Noctua cooler, it's like returning home.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes all fitted well in my nzxt 7010i had a phanteks pci express 3 it locked up (gen 3 mobo 4) got one of the forest it seemed to work well then my frames started to drop down to the 50 from 100.gonna have to wait and see if one comes out .the gen 4 was a xiomi or something .

Soldato
Yes all fitted well in my nzxt 7010i had a phanteks pci express 3 it locked up (gen 3 mobo 4) got one of the forest it seemed to work well then my frames started to drop down to the 50 from 100.gonna have to wait and see if one comes out .the gen 4 was a xiomi or something .

Cheers.Had a gen 3 on a gen 3 board and all was well. Fractal design.
Now got a Z690 board and need a Gen4. Ordered a Linkup one from same place. Gen 4, 25cm.

@scubes

Last edited:
Soldato
@scubes the riser cable arrived and well do you understand when you look at something and think "wow that's good value" well initial impressions were not like that. For the cost is was more like "how much". But hey if it works..............

Got it fitted - very different in fitting to my last one, I hope that you have suitable offsets.
I had ran PCI Express Feature Test (from 3D Mark) and Port Royal Test benchmark, before and after. There was a slight improvement overall in fill rate and the benchmark result. They are just within an acceptable margin of error and the bottom line is that it seems to work fine. My GPU is seen as 4 Gen in a 16x slot.

I looked at the one you noted but felt maybe the extra money was worth this Link up one, so far it works out. I got a 25cm type.

orig....

after....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom