*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
I also need lightweight jogging shoes but as sports direct is closed there's only Tesco to buy from and usually their shoes are heavy. Any inexpensive jogging shoes you'd recommend from Amazon?

It's not perfect, but try this. Will help you to find the type of shoe you want. Then you could ring somewhere like Runners Need and get their advice based on your budget

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/ShoeFinder

Soldato
either buy an arm holster or running belt

Thanks. Yeah, that would work well. Pity, I have a Nike armholster I bought years ago in black and yellow but it only has a narrow small pocket to accommodate my old silver ipod. I like the idea of another armholster to fit the phone, so definitely something for me to consider. I tried a couple of thin hoodies today in Tesco, none of which I liked, but they both had one external zip up chest pocket on the left. I tried them on and put my phone in and it felt fine so that could work well too.

It's not perfect, but try this. Will help you to find the type of shoe you want. Then you could ring somewhere like Runners Need and get their advice based on your budget

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_gb/ShoeFinder

Runrepeat are a decent place to start to compare prices too.

Thanks Martyn and neoboy.

Now, I have some nice Gore jogging tights, that have a tight pocket on the leg for a phone and a small zip pocket on the lower back for keys. In the past I've used a running belt that you can get off Amazon for about a tenner and it was fine. I have no recommendations, but I will say, I was in a lot of pain when I used to run in 'regular' trainers. I spend £100+ on proper running shoes and it made a huge difference to my ability to run without pain in the souls of my feet or my shins and calves. I know it doesn't help, just bear it in mind :)

I like the look of those tights but although my legs are slim, I'm 61 (a young looking 61 mind :p) and I think those tights are for you younger folk.

I bought three things at Tesco before I saw any replies. A pair of joggers, shoes and some long johns. What do you think of them? The shoes are actually lightweight, surprised me considering it's Tesco F&F. I tried them on and they're comfortable. £20. Should be ok for jogging?
Instead of tights, I bought thermal long johns to go under the joggers. Do you think that's a good idea? I've got some old t shirts and sweatshirts I can use for layers.
I'll just need to buy a hoodie with top pocket, preferably waterproof, and maybe a woolly hat.
I would have preferred to walk into sports direct and buy better looking clothes but of course, that's not possible at the moment.

20210118-190812.jpg

Soldato
Yeah if you have a high sodium diet, which most unhealthy diets are, just consuming less salt can make you lose a fair amount of weight so first week can see quite a big change like I did in the beginning.

Even now if I have a junk food day, I can put on a lot of "weight" the next day which will then also disappear the day after as it's just extra water weight that comes with all the sodium.

This is why I don't bother weighing myself daily if I know I stuck to my calories and just look at my weekly trend.

I like the look of those tights but although my legs are slim, I'm 61 (a young looking 61 mind :p) and I think those tights are for you younger folk.

This is why those of us with modesty still put shorts over our compression layers :p

Soldato
This is why those of us with modesty still put shorts over our compression layers :p

Well I just tried the joggers on and I have to say I'm really pleased with them. They're slim fit, no ugly baginess, and they fit and look and great with the new trainers. I also tried the long johns underneath the joggers and they also look good and are skin tight. Walked outside to test warmth and they keep my legs perfectly warm so I'm looking forward to my first jog. I could probably run with just the long john's and I could have bought tights after all. :p

Soldato
Re your phone remember you'll be getting sweaty and or wet in the rain and you want a pouch you can position in non sweaty areas to limit moisture to the unit and chafing to you. You also want easy operation of the unit without getting it out and where the cord can reach your ears without awkward snagging of the cord (unless you've gone all WiFi Bluetooth in which case how good are your earphones bus at staying in?)

Soldato
Re your phone remember you'll be getting sweaty and or wet in the rain and you want a pouch you can position in non sweaty areas to limit moisture to the unit and chafing to you. You also want easy operation of the unit without getting it out and where the cord can reach your ears without awkward snagging of the cord (unless you've gone all WiFi Bluetooth in which case how good are your earphones bus at staying in?)

Yeah, I'm considering buying some recommended wireless buds that I believe stay in the ears securely while jogging. I think the best option might be a thin stretchy runners phone belt underneath my jogging top to hold the belt. I wonder if anyone here can recommend a good one that doesn't bounce around too much.

Soldato
OP
I wonder if anyone here can recommend a good one that doesn't bounce around too much.

I have this one and it's pretty good. The only problem I sometimes have is finding the entrance into the flaps! It has one big pouch at the front middle for your phone and a small pouch either side, for keys.

unless you've gone all WiFi Bluetooth in which case how good are your earphones bus at staying in?

I have relatively big ear wholes (I think) and have tested probably between 4 and 10 different totally wireless earbuds and none have ever fallen out while running, so you should be fine. I think a bigger issue is some make your steps echo around your head. I guess some make a really tight seal in your ear, it's a bit like if you plugged your ears and are something. You hear all the movement of your bones.

Soldato
I have this one, (https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/pulse-belt.html#color=21389) but if i'm honest, i'd just stick with your pocket for now. If the joggers are slim then they shouldn't have huge pockets which would cause it to bounce around too much. If i run with my phone i'll just stick it in my pocket and in most of my shorts it's not too bad. You only really need to use it once to set the activity and then again at the end.
Maybe then if you decide you really enjoy running you can then start spending more on things :)

For headphones i have these which are great, however they're one of those items that're usually in some kind of sale (not at the moment sadly), and i think i paid around £18
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-...pirit+x&qid=1611131917&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-21

I much prefer the ones that hook over the ear for running, although be warned that if your hat is a tight fit it can be uncomfortable as it can really push the buds into your ears. I tend to wear my hat just above my ears now because of it.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Been taking my cut a bit more stringently since Saturday. Even though lost 8-9 pounds since April last year. That's mostly been due to weight training and better quality of food. But belly is still there, so now am targeting 2700 calories per day.

Meal prep is the hardest, when nothing is made it leads to temptation...

Soldato
shifting the belly is a pain. I've still got mine too. I can't wait to get further with the decorating and DIY to get the boxes out of the lounge so I can start doing crunches and situps watching MOTD again. It's a great way to make the exercise seem easier.

Soldato
Been taking my cut a bit more stringently since Saturday. Even though lost 8-9 pounds since April last year. That's mostly been due to weight training and better quality of food. But belly is still there, so now am targeting 2700 calories per day.

Meal prep is the hardest, when nothing is made it leads to temptation...

Guess it depends on your circumstances with family etc. But we make up a tea schedule over 4 weeks and stick to that. Generally meals which are easy to make and freeze well etc.

We then buy our shopping online in especially and so always have food in for our meals, so don't need those quick little trip to the shops where you end up being tempted.

Soldato
Guess it depends on your circumstances with family etc. But we make up a tea schedule over 4 weeks and stick to that. Generally meals which are easy to make and freeze well etc.

We then buy our shopping online in especially and so always have food in for our meals, so don't need those quick little trip to the shops where you end up being tempted.
We do the same. It definitely helps.

Soldato
OP
That's mostly been due to weight training and better quality of food. But belly is still there, so now am targeting 2700 calories per day.

I find the problem is, if you're looking to keep size/bulk but lose the belly, they kinda work in opposite of each other. To lose the belly, you probably should drop the cals lower than that (IMO of course :) ) but then it means you don't have the cals for the weights. I had to accept I would get smaller as well as lose fat.

I can't wait to get further with the decorating and DIY to get the boxes out of the lounge so I can start doing crunches and situps watching MOTD again.

Just remember, abs exercises are not how you lose a belly though :)

Soldato
I find the problem is, if you're looking to keep size/bulk but lose the belly, they kinda work in opposite of each other. To lose the belly, you probably should drop the cals lower than that (IMO of course :) ) but then it means you don't have the cals for the weights. I had to accept I would get smaller as well as lose fat.

head. Popped. WHAAAT?

B&W

B&W

Soldato

Yup that's the truth Andy we don't wanna loose our gains.

But think I have finally come to terms the muscle will look better when its leaner I hope.

Right now it only looks good when pumped lol.

Soldato
I have this one and it's pretty good. The only problem I sometimes have is finding the entrance into the flaps! It has one big pouch at the front middle for your phone and a small pouch either side, for keys.
Thank you Andy. Looks pretty good. I don't know how much it matters as it would be underneath my jogging top, but that belt doesn't have any zip so does it feel like the phone or keys could jump out while running?

I have this one, (https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/pulse-belt.html#color=21389) but if i'm honest, i'd just stick with your pocket for now. If the joggers are slim then they shouldn't have huge pockets which would cause it to bounce around too much. If i run with my phone i'll just stick it in my pocket and in most of my shorts it's not too bad. You only really need to use it once to set the activity and then again at the end.
Maybe then if you decide you really enjoy running you can then start spending more on things :)

For headphones i have these which are great, however they're one of those items that're usually in some kind of sale (not at the moment sadly), and i think i paid around £18
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-...pirit+x&qid=1611131917&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-21

I much prefer the ones that hook over the ear for running, although be warned that if your hat is a tight fit it can be uncomfortable as it can really push the buds into your ears. I tend to wear my hat just above my ears now because of it.

Thanks Martyn. I'll try the phone in my jogger pockets as they are a slim fit but I suspect it'll weigh the joggers down. And the buds I think I'm buying are about £40 (Boltune BT-BH024) as I don't think I'd get enjoyable sound quality for less.

I was going to buy a Wahoo heart rate monitor chest belt, but I'd really much prefer a watch that shows heart bpm, calories burnt, my running speed and distance I've covered all at a glance. Much easier to see than taking my phone out while running. Does anyone here use one and do you find it accurate enough? And which watch? I believe apple have the most accurate but since I use an android phone I don't suppose it's compatible. Fitbit?

Back
Top Bottom