Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
It's just a toss up really. Pay over the odds for the VM service or go for a package that I can swap and change to suit myself. If the connection on 4G holds up, I don't mind it being a bit slower and playable. We'll see if they do phone back but it will have to be a pretty good deal.
Done a few speed tests over wifi and getting 6.5Mb just now and had 20Mb earlier. Quite impressed with the Mikrotik router to be honest, however probably need to do a lot of reading to really get to grips with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have brought a Mikrotik Chateau 12lte and popped an EE sim in it to check it out. Speed wise it's about 75Mb, tried a game of BFV still had the latency and packet loss problem but it was very playable so I'm ok about that. Going to try out a 3 sim to see what that's like later on.

Can I ask how much you paid for the MikroTik? I was looking at exactly the same router to replace my current one, as I use a 4G USB dongle right now which doesn't have the ability to connect external antenna's, and I have planned connecting an outdoor pole antenna to boost my signal.

Associate
Only used it for a couple of hours yesterday, just put the sim card in it was recognized. Changed the password through the interface and had a quick look at the rest but it looks more involved.

Soldato
Has anyone updated or made changes to their contract lately and its not changed on their contract details page on their website? I made some amendments to ours and then cancelled the amendments but on my contract details page still says pending. Rang them a few times to confirm its been cancelled which they said they have but for some reason it still says pending... dont wanna get charged for something i dont actually want anymore...

Soldato
Just rang virgin and tried to get a better deal for the M200 broadband only package... im currently on the player bundle which includes the M200 fibre for £39 however we dont use the telephone line or the tv bundle so just wanted a cheaper package. They bloody wanted £47.50! Asked them if they could do me a better deal on my current package and again £47, wtf?!

In all honesty they dont sound bothered at all, like they just dont want to help. She said to call back at the beginning of the month when they have better deals and also said if i wanted to leave that there needs to be a 30 day notice... great my contract runs out at the end of Feb so thats no good.

Do i start the leaving process now and find a better deal or just hope they can give me a better deal at the start of Feb?

Soldato
They only seem to give better deals if you try to leave, also depends on who you talk to.
Seems i've been getting the morbid ones lately, i'll try again in a few days. I've got a friend who works for virgin who has said he's sent off a form for mates rates. Will see if that comes through too.

£24 for M350 is an amazing price!!!!

Is there a way you can leave without having to sit on the phone for eons and then barter?

We're paying 56 quid for M350 (which has just gone down), and 22 quid for a backup Plusnet connection which has been infinitely more stable. I use the latter for work and the family uses VM, but I'm loathed to keep paying that. Might see if I can drop it down to 1 or 200mb.

What are people paying for those as something to angle for...?

It can't be that unreliable that you need a backup connection.

Work from home 5 days a week, our whole house is dependent on an internet connection for TV, security etc.

VM drops 2-3 times a day and we have severe latency spikes, engineers have been out 2-3 times and resolved nothing. Plusnet is only good for 40mb, but it's rock solid stable. VM is handy for larger downloads, but I wouldn't rely on it for anything critical.

I have not other options here like FTTP, so this is the best I can come up with between reliable and fast.

Man of Honour
I found the same the last time I had Virgin, my 40 Mbps FTTC connection was infinitely better than the 150 Mbps connection at the time with VM. I hope it's improved when I move soon!

Soldato
I had at least 9 prolonged instances of down time in the last year that I was with VM, compare that with zero on FTTC over 18 months. The speeds were also up and down like a yo-yo even at off peak times, but when it was going fast it was fast!

If I didn't have a second line and a 4G back up then some days no work would have been completed. There needs to be more accountability placed on the ISPs just like there is with other utilities, forcing a certain SLA and uptime for even just domestic users. Long gone are the days where the internet connection was a nice to have, it is now almost essential (first world essential)

Soldato
I think the automated 3.50 off for 6 months extends your contract for 18 months again.

nah, just done as got a letter on Saturday. IVR message states no change to contract length.

Bit annoyed as my new re-up only started a couple of weeks ago :mad:

They must be getting hammered with calls as the first few attempts it would not even ring :eek:

Soldato
Found out by email from Virgin field consultant a property that im looking to move into in February he looked at the maps and said it will be no problem linking the house to the network.

Be my first time with Virgin reading here seems abit mix and match on reviews but always has been from the years I have seen about Virgin.

Just Virgin offer the biggest connection in terms of speed so no brainer hopefully all will be good.

Soldato
nah, just done as got a letter on Saturday. IVR message states no change to contract length.

Bit annoyed as my new re-up only started a couple of weeks ago :mad:

Surely - as per the announcement - it's only people who aren't on the recent bundles that are affected, I took out a new contract only 2? months ago and haven't been affected, the mailing data may well have been pulled prior to your change from old contract/bundle.

She said to call back at the beginning of the month when they have better deals and also said if i wanted to leave that there needs to be a 30 day notice... great my contract runs out at the end of Feb so thats no good.

Do i start the leaving process now and find a better deal or just hope they can give me a better deal at the start of Feb?

You you can book a disconnection now for the end of February, offers won't change much month on month, if anything staff are more likely to try and keep up save rate at the end of the month as it's what dictates bonus.

Back
Top Bottom