Amazon Prime !!!!

Soldato
Love the place, just returned a wireless doorbell for a full refund to my account nearly two years after I bought it

Replaced with cheaper wireless doorbell

Profit

Similar thing here.
Bought a reconditioned Kindle Fire HD10 [2017 edition] for the daughter, 11 months later it won't charge.
Just told to return it and they sent out a brand new one of the more recent version.

I agree it will destroy the high street at some point which is a shame as sometimes you want to look/try before you buy (clothing, small furniture. tools etc) but it is what it is.

Soldato
GD at it's finest; completely ignore the OP and just circle-jerk the topic :rolleyes::D

@DXP55 - I can see why they do it but you're right, cancelling is a chore with the "are you sure?" nag screens. Also a PITA when you forget to cancel within the 30 days but at least Amazon will refund.
I mean what do you want, a thread full of people slagging off Amazon without any counter points, sounds more like a circlejerk than what we have now? Besides I just checked and it's incredibly easy to cancel so he's flat out wrong. Go to account > Click Prime > Manage Membership > End Membership. All clearly visible and labelled well.

Soldato
After doing a couple of free trials then cancelling before it kicked in for real I finally let it stick on the third go, this was about 2 years ago now. I probably don't get the full efficiency out of using it since I hardly ever use Prime Video or Music, it really is just for the convenience of the free delivery more than anything, and eight quid is just enough for me to not to bother about it, though I do find myself watching the odd thing on Prime Video now and again in recent months. If it started to creep up like Netflix seems to be doing though it wouldn't be long before I re-evaluated things I reckon. Hoping they don't go down that road. When was the last time they did put the sub up anyway?

Associate
Known multiple people who cba with T&C reading and ended up being charged the £70 or whatever it is for Prime because they bought something there once. But every person didn't have an issue getting a refund on it.

Personally i only use Amazon for abusing the returns policy. Get Prime trial, buy some things, try them all out, keep the one i like, watch some movies, then cancel Prime.

Soldato
I do find Amazon more and more frustrating as they try to push all of the cheap chinese brands at you. It's becoming more and more difficult to find options of more quality brands without jumping through hoops in the search filters.
Was about to post much the same thing. Seems half of the recommended products are cheap Chinese rubbish that's had thousands of paid for reviews.
Amazon used to be fantastic.... Less so these days and often they are no cheaper than Argos, John Lewis etc.

Soldato
You’ve always been allowed to talk about Amazon as long as you’re not discussing products that OcUK sell.
Are right. Great, thanks

I find Prime quite astonishing, however i have no idea how logistically they can fulfil 1 hour delivery??!

Soldato
OP
I mean what do you want, a thread full of people slagging off Amazon without any counter points, sounds more like a circlejerk than what we have now? Besides I just checked and it's incredibly easy to cancel so he's flat out wrong. Go to account > Click Prime > Manage Membership > End Membership. All clearly visible and labelled well.

I sussed this out this afternoon but even so that is not the point - Amazon should give you a clear in or out - yes I will or no I won't but it is hidden away so to my mind that is taking the ****.
OK so I got ****** on but I shouldn't have - Do you want Amazon Prime - Yes or no - it's as simple as that.

I am not knocking Amazon service what so ever - just the way they drag you in on the sly - As I said earlier I am willing to pay delivery on the few items I buy. - I do not want PRIME.

Caporegime
Yeah I have ordered enough that I know how to avoid the 'free postage', 'get a 30 day free trial'

I don't really want to spend 70 a year for quicker shipping. Not worth it for me.

Soldato
Similar thing here.
Bought a reconditioned Kindle Fire HD10 [2017 edition] for the daughter, 11 months later it won't charge.
Just told to return it and they sent out a brand new one of the more recent version.

I agree it will destroy the high street at some point which is a shame as sometimes you want to look/try before you buy (clothing, small furniture. tools etc) but it is what it is.

Amazon aren't killing the high street, councils are. It needs to move with the times, there's plenty of space for showrooms and try before you buy on clothing and electricals, it's just not going to be the old guard doing it by all accounts

Soldato
even some items I'd consider 'niche' are available next day on Prime...makes you realise they're not quite so 'niche'! :p

I find Prime quite astonishing, however i have no idea how logistically they can fulfil 1 hour delivery??!

up to date stock levels with a combo of salaried?/paid per drop drivers to meet the needs

Soldato
It's fantastic, isn't it. It's never failed me, every single thing I've ever ordered using it has turned up when promised, even during the height of lockdown 1. In fact, during lockdown 1 when they said things may take three or four days, they generally arrived the next day anyway.

It's worth every single penny I pay for it.
This.

Especially over the last year its been invaluable

Soldato
Amazon aren't killing the high street, councils are. It needs to move with the times, there's plenty of space for showrooms and try before you buy on clothing and electricals, it's just not going to be the old guard doing it by all accounts

True, needs to be some kind of business rates reform and a rethink on where retail belongs.

Soldato

I think landlords play a significant part as well, some of the rates/rents/prices for shops in the city/town centres are absolutely mind numbing.

Soldato
I know what you mean somehow managed to get signed up for Prime again so just took advantage ordered some stuff and cancelled before they charged me. For the umpteenth time. If they ban me from prime I'd be fine with that I never asked for it in the first place <shrug>

What really bugs me though is every time I want to view orders or make an order they insist on sending an SMS text with a "link" to "tap". Not a simple OTP its a bloody long 20 plus series of letters and letters URL and oh, I don't have a smartphone so have to type the bloody thing in manually on my keyboard!

Back
Top Bottom