• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket lake leaks

Soldato
OP
Ice Lake and Rocket Lake are new. Alder Lake will be something new again. And if you want to muddy the waters even more, it's the Coves you should be looking at now because it's the Coves that actually denote the architecture of the cores, the Lakes (as of Ice Lake) are implementations of the Coves.

And to think people whinge that Zen being out of step with Ryzen is confusing...

you are right, the lakes dont mean anything anymore.

supposed to define architectures but intel has just not bothered to drop the lakes from the naming anymore and kept it for Ice and Comet and the upcoming Alder.

Soldato
To be fair, Sunny Cove was also used in Lakefield which is a different beast to Ice Lake, but beyond that it's looking like Intel are running one Cove per Lake now, which makes the double-name redundant.

Associate
the key is in their names

you had the (sandy & ivy) bridges, then the (has & broad) wells, then the (sky, kaby, coffee, cannon, ice, comet, rocket) lakes and it's been lakes ever since for like 6-7 years of lakes upon lakes and every year they just rehashed the same thing over and over and over and over...
ah right ok, these names, so many lakes ha ha

Only a matter of time before we have lakelake ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
More like sewage lake, with all the you know what thats in it.

Good grief Intel, we knew you were in trouble but FFS the situation they are now in takes the worst that AMD and Nvidia have ever done and wound it up to 11.

Associate
But there IS no discussion to be had, that's the point. There was plenty of discussion with Zen 2 and Coffee Lake because there were pros and cons for each and you could best match your use case, balance budget, etc. But Zen 3 utterly **** all over Comet Lake in every metric that actually means anything, and Rocket Lake is not going to redress that.

It is not fanboiism right here, right now, to say that unless you have a specific use case in which Intel offers superior performance, you must be insane, ill-informed or just a fanboi/troll to even recommend Intel in the DIY space right now.

5600X or 10400F is probably the only thing you actually can discuss.

That may well be the case and FWIW I actually appreciate you rationalising the point, so thanks for that. It's better than just dishing out hate (which is wierd, as they are all companies that just make 'stuff' for profit) or exaggerating to make a point.
However, if rocket lake is priced right and is competitive from a performance point of view, then is shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Don't get me wrong, maybe it won't and maybe it's a desperate stop gap measure from intel. Also you say "right here, right now" but I thought we're trying to discuss an upcoming product?
But, maybe it will be tempting enough to be a logical upgrade for some people, given that everyone is at a different cycle in their journey.

Some of the 'leaked' benchmarks show a substantially higher minimum and 99% percentile compared to comet lake for example. For where I am now, I'd be most interested in that than just 'averages' which are lazy benchmarks anyway. Or, it's rubbish and I'll wait until Q3/Q4 2021 etc. It's not a big deal either way.
But the headlines are "it's slower", "it uses 300Watts", "It's crap".

*Edit* actually I just read a few of the other new replies and it seems like IQs have dropped, or people are migrating here from WCCFTECH!
That's fine, I just know it's not worth discussing things here so saves me time.

Permabanned
you are right, the lakes dont mean anything anymore.

supposed to define architectures but intel has just not bothered to drop the lakes from the naming anymore and kept it for Ice and Comet and the upcoming Alder.

Well, at least Comet Lake means something more powerful and faster than Rocket Lake - Comet >>> Rocket.

Soldato
The problem is in the integrated graphics.
Comet Lake's 10-core die is barely, miserable ~198.4 mm2.

Half of it is integrated graphics - so let's say ~100 mm2 is 10 cores.

Hell, if Intel wanted to be competitive, they could have removed the worthless integrated graphics, glue other 10 cores and call it a day with a 20-core / 40-thread CPUs going against AMD's 16-core Ryzen 9 3950X and Ryzen 9 5950X.

Yes, it is an excellent news for AMD who will have both time for Zen 4, not to rush it, and time to work with more concentration on all Zen projects without much pressure, if any.

If Intel had any sense they'd move the IGP off the CPU and onto the motherboard. And crank up the cores.

Soldato
However, if rocket lake is priced right and is competitive from a performance point of view, then is shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.
I'd argue yes it should. Intel will not price it competitively, because it's Intel. They're going to milk the 1% 1080p lead over the 5900X in a handful over games and charge accordingly; AMD pitched the 5900X as their top gaming CPU, so that will be Intel's comparison point. Completely ignoring the fact it will have a 4 core deficit and use twice the power. Because there's no way Intel could do a proper comparison against the 5800X because they'd get stomped into the ground once again. We've already seen Intel's marketing slides to exactly this, and leaked prices show it to be more expensive than the 5900X.

Overpriced CPU on a platform that will be stupid money because of the insane VRM count the boards must have, not choose to have. A platform that is also be inferior to the year-old X570 as well. Unless Intel are literally charging 5600X money for their top 11900K, the entire 11th gen should be dismissed out of hand on principle: yet another joke CPU rushed out by a company whos hubris and illegal practices are finally biting them on the ass, but yet still fleece their customers because they know the fanboys are idiots who'd just lap it up regardless.

Associate
Yeah, Since Sky Lake its been Tock, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick.
I want to nitpick a bit.
Tock used to be same architecture, smaller tech process. Think Sandy bridge to Ivy bridge or Haswell to Broadwell
Tick used to be same tech process, new architecture. Ivy Bridge to Haswell or Broadwell to Skylake.
What Intel was doing since Skylake is refresh, refresh, refresh. Same arch, same 14nm, same memory controller, same graphics even.

Rocket Lake is sort of Tick, although underwhelming.
But next step Alder Lake will try to both Tick and Tock and DDR5 and Pcie5 and hybrid cores in one, bound to be problematic.

Rocket lake prices leaked, 11900k MSRP is 604Euro
They know the market. The few CPUs they will produce get sold out anyway.

Intels main goal is to make their way back to all review sites standard configurations to stay in minds of readers as the fastest gaming CPU.
Same as Nvidia did with ridiculously expensive 2080Ti and 3090. Yep, its the top dog. Means Nvidia is fastest. Means you don't feel bad buying 2060. Its fastest, right?

Soldato
OP
Is that good price or is that expensive? £500 for a board, you are in the realm of god like aorus master etc. I guess that is an aorus master board.

Back
Top Bottom