• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Caporegime
Question for the masses.

Can you ship these cards to say "sweden" if i buy one from the Nvidia UK site?
I honestly don't think you can even buy a reference card in Sweden.

I can always ship it to my sister in London was merely a question :p

A2B

A2B

Associate
I don't think there'll be a 3080 FE drop this week. It's usually every 2 or 3 weeks.

yeah but they keep breaking patterns. first it was always in the afternoon, then we had a 10am ish, then one as late as 6pm (speaking of all the models). No weekend yet AFAIK, but I don't trust anything anymore.

A2B

A2B

Associate
Can you ship these cards to say "sweden" if i buy one from the Nvidia UK site?
I honestly don't think you can even buy a reference card in Sweden.

I can always ship it to my sister in London was merely a question :p

I believe they won't ship outside the UK & probably Ireland. your sister is a safer bet.

Soldato
I managed to snag a 3090FE on Thursday night from Nvidia, it's coming tomorrow. In 20 odd years I think I've only ever had a "reference Card" once, that was my 680 SLI but these FE's look sexy AF.

I excite! though still gotta wait for cpu, mb, psu, ssd and cooler to arrive over the next week or so.
Congrats! At least the 3090 seems easier to get hold of. A card in stock >>> cards not in stock.

It is a beast of a card. I read that it's 2 kg!

Soldato
Got my 3090 today, and it's very heavy indeed.

Real beast of a card, and surprisingly quiet. Temps at least 10 degrees less than my old 1080ti.

I mainly got it for VR, and it doesn't disappoint. I'm able to have much higher supersampling and detail levels. Some VR games are still pretty unoptimized though - No Mans Sky still has issues running at max detail in VR even on a 3090!

Permabanned
If it runs 10C cooler than a 1080Ti FE (you are not the first to say this) God knows how much cooler than a Titan Xp which is right on thermal/power limit (I have all 3 cards now).

It was far harder to get my Titan Xp stable at 2100mhz Core than the 1080Ti at 2100mhz due to the above but the Titan Xp's Vram was far better.

I left the TIM stock on 1080Ti but Titan Xp I had to go Liquid Silver to try tame it.

I may fit my 3090 later but ideally I have some work to do inside case first but ...

Associate
Zero sag though!
Yeah the metal body is pretty sturdy to be fair and also my 3090FE is at least 10 degrees less than the 1080ti extreme, when it's ticking over not doing much but browsing it's only just into the 20s, obviously that's with my fan curve but if i wasn't using Afterburner the fans would have stopped at this point.

The outer casing on top does get hot under load but seems to cool very quickly at idle, great cooling system I must say.

Associate
my 1080Ti sagged like crazy, but most of that was due to the phantecs waterblock weighing an absolute ton! Impressed by the lack of sag on the 3090. :D

Cant comment on cooling, the 1080Ti gamed around 40C on water, this is around 65C on air, hoping it will be about the same once I get the (never being released!) EK block.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I’ve said that mine runs cooler than the 2080Ti that it replaced, quite significantly in fact. However, someone then pointed out to me that it might not be so much fun in the summer and I think he might have a point.

The FE does a great job of expelling heat but there’s still nearly 400W of it being expelled at full whack.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I’ve said that mine runs cooler than the 2080Ti that it replaced, quite significantly in fact. However, someone then pointed out to me that it might not be so much fun in the summer and I think he might have a point.

The FE does a great job of expelling heat but there’s still nearly 400W of it being expelled at full whack.

Yes that is true, however once you undervolt the card settings you shave off 50w off the bat so it would only pump out the same heat as the 2080Ti did.

Soldato
Yes that is true, however once you undervolt the card settings you shave off 50w off the bat so it would only pump out the same heat as the 2080Ti did.

I plan on undervolting my 3090. Should also help with idle wattage, which is good as my gaming PC is currently my work PC so is on all day.

Associate
I plan on undervolting my 3090. Should also help with idle wattage, which is good as my gaming PC is currently my work PC so is on all day.

I spent some time undervolting my 3090 FE on the weekend. The results weren't quite what I expected after undervolting with a 3080 ftw3.

With the 3080 I found that 1965 @ 0.962V basically maintained frames and benchmark scores vs overclocking and using the full 450W power budget.

With the 3090 FE I found that Port Royal took a big hit, but actually gaming (Borderlands 3) was just fine.

The reason is that Port Royal seems to draw much less power on average (oddly, as I thought that ray tracing workloads generally drew more), meaning that the card could go hit high clocks by using over 1V.

With Borderlands 3, and other games, I'd imagine, the power draw seems much higher on average, meaning the card can't scale the curve and hit high clocks anyway, with the card hitting power limit between 0.9 and 0.95V most of the time.

Where as with the 3080 the limit was really stability at higher clocks, with the 3090 it is overwhelmingly power. So I guess it depends on the specific workload, but undervolting seems like a win in some and a loss in others.

Back
Top Bottom