unRAID hardware change issues

Associate
I've had a server running for 3 or 4 years mostly for Plex on old PC hardware. skt 775 Core2duo 4Gb Ram Gigabyte G31 mobo and all was well but I felt the need for more cores and more RAM.

So a minor upgrade ensued...

skt 775 core2 quad 8gb RAM and Gigabyte g33m board (not enormously different one would have thought!)

However,

The same USB stick wont boot or even start to. I've fiddled with every BIOS permutation I can see. It gets stuck at Verifying DMI Pool Data

That USB stick in my PC starts to boot ok, can get to the Unraid menu choice screen. (so USB ok?)

Different USB with memtest86 on boots in server OK (BIOS all set to boot from USB etc fine then)

I noticed that Memtest86 configures file to FAT and Unraid USB file creator opts for FAT 32 so I manually created a USB drive with FAT put on UNraid and made it bootable - still no joy.

I haven't changed my original USB stick as once I get the hardware read and boot I'm hoping to insert my original USB.

I'm experimenting with fresh Unraid but cannot get it to even start to load.

So I've tried a couple of other USB sticks (16GB Verbatim and 16Gb unbranded) and both work for memtest86 and neither work for Unraid as FAT or FAT32.

I've tried with and without HDD attached, no change.

In my searches, I've seen some people using same mobo and processor as me so it cant be grossly incompatible.

Doesn't make any sense to me.......

Associate
Do you have a screen and keyboard attached directly to the server? If so have you tried to access the webUI from the server itself if you boot in GUI mode?

Associate
OP
I cant get that far to choose GUI mode. Any usb stick with UNRAID on doesnt get past verifying DMI pool data. it doesn't attempt to boot.

The same USB sticks with only memtest86 on boot just fine.

Back
Top Bottom