Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
Read so much about the GRY now, i’m tempted but it’s either my blue oval loyalties holding me back or it just doesn’t look right. Doesn’t have the presence on the road or styling. Anyway I’ve made inquiry to the local dealer, guess the test drive will have to wait till lock down ends.. See if it grabs me more then.
It will need to be a daily, should we get back to daily drives to work! ..... (Black with circuit pack would be my choice)

With such long lead times is it not getting close to say wait a bit longer for the first round of trade ins to come up as people’s PCP ends.

OcUK Staff
OP
Read so much about the GRY now, i’m tempted but it’s either my blue oval loyalties holding me back or it just doesn’t look right. Doesn’t have the presence on the road or styling. Anyway I’ve made inquiry to the local dealer, guess the test drive will have to wait till lock down ends.. See if it grabs me more then.
It will need to be a daily, should we get back to daily drives to work! ..... (Black with circuit pack would be my choice)

With such long lead times is it not getting close to say wait a bit longer for the first round of trade ins to come up as people’s PCP ends.

First cars were getting delivered around November I think and minimum PCP term I think was 2-3 years so the very earliest ones won’t be ending until late 2022 and going into 2023 whereas new orders placed today are scheduled for Nov/Dec.

Soldato
I was a massive blue oval fan, had the Focus ST Mk2.5 which was followed by a Focus RS Mk2. It was concourse condition, running 420bhp and used to tour Silverstone, Croft, Knockhill, Donnington. It’s been nearly 3 years now since I sold the RS and nothing since from the blue oval has took my fancy.

I’ve been in limbo looking at various options including BMW M2C, Octavia vRS. Took a test drive in the GRY and I’ve not smiled so much from the moment go. It ticks so many of my boxes that I placed my order the next day - 15th Dec, ETA mid-August, CP Pure White. I’d post up some photos but need to upload them elsewhere and grab the links.

Just to name a few tick boxes:
- bespoke body and styling (similar to RS Mk2)
- 5 year / 100k warranty (much better than BMW 3 year and pricey warranty packs)
- MP4S as standard
- Mechanical front / rear diffs

This is in addition to all of the other performance, handling and braking boxes. It even goes beyond with the likes of radar cruise, lane assist (love/hate), LED headlights, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, reversing camera. It’s a shame on no HUD but that’s probably the only option from the convenience pack that I’d quite like. In comparison to other cars the price to spec is staggeringly good! It’s also nice to see the kit as standard rather than trawl option lists and find half the kit is optional extras which are either expensive or missing.

In summary, I see the GRY as what the blue oval should have built but missed their chance. I personally can’t wait and it’s certainly going to be worth the wait that’s for sure !

Soldato
I think the mk2 Focus ST was one of the best cars I've owned, especially after I got the Mountune kit installed. I regreted selling it. Though it did rattle more than my Elise lol

Soldato
@BeatMaster Thanks for the feedback, the MK2 RS was/is a great car, I nearly order one at the time but bottled it. I had pocket full of redundancy money, no job and was thinking they would depreciate a lot. They didn't and in 6 months I was working Ford! lesson learnt.
GRY yes does come with a lot kit already fitted, saving the usual modification route. I would want to keep it standard, as you see I have already gone down the mod route was well, as I have a Mk3 FRS, from new, with mapping and suspension updates.

That said already Litchfield are suggesting for the GRY not only a remap but swapping out dampers, lowering and seat lower kits... oh deja vu or what !
It's my E89 35iS that would get sold in favour of the GRY, the FRS isn't going anywhere ;) .... As it's awesome and a bit of a garage queen.

Alternative is an Fiesta ST3 modified, Revo Stage 1 or 2, Ford performance dampers like the Edition version and lighter OZ wheels. ..... Or an Orange/Blue Edition mapped.
Or An Audi S1, with a stage 1 map.

Need to see/drive the GRY to get past the "Too small and looks like what mum would drive to the shops once a week" effect... (no offence intended to current and future owners)

Associate
There's always going to be an element of that, when I told my mum I was looking at a Yaris she looked at me like I was a fruit loop, she was driving a Yaris at the time, no amount of explaining makes it right, only car people will understand.

Used to get similar with my 147GTA, which had wide arches and v6 etc, say you have a 147 abd you'd hear oh my mum had one of those blah, blah, it's just something you have to deal with.

Shame really the Yaris is more bespoke it could have detached itself from the main car with another name entirely as there's no crossover really with typical Yaris owners and this.

Think Toyota would have done a better job of it pulling a Cupra, Abarth with the GR as a standalone brand.

OcUK Staff
OP
Many many many people are caught up on the "it's just a Yaris" message. But it's not just a Yaris with some performance parts, once you see it and drive it, you'll get it :)

This!

Having owned a 911 and driven many 911's the test drive reminded me so much of how a 911 feels so well built and tough. Apart from the low rent cabin, the actual car felt like it was built to 911 standards, by that I mean it felt like the kind of car you could drive to a track day, track it all day and do so several times a year and never fear that something is going to break, infact more so in the Toyota simply because having done around 20-30 track days in a 911 it gets mega expensive fast, especially when you need to replace a set of ceramic disc and other consumables, the Toyota feels tougher, because it is the suspension setup I believe is the full rally car spec so in theory you could drive this car on a bumpy gravel rally stage and the suspension would not snap/break whatever.

Also its expensive, but at same time is it, a car that is truly bespoke, it is no Yaris all it shares I think is the lights and mirrors, everything else is bespoke to this car, brakes, engine, suspension, body panels, I mean how many hot hatches come with carbon roofs? This is a car built by engineers and left to the engineers, hence the price, but factor in the price could increase to 36k levels in future, factor that 100k mile / 5 year warranty, well I was like OK this has me interested, the fact they were offering interest free at £299 month just made my man maths go on red alert and I had to have one. Worse case in couple of year it loses 10k, best case it loses a couple grand or you break even after miles of fun and low cost motoring.

There's always going to be an element of that, when I told my mum I was looking at a Yaris she looked at me like I was a fruit loop, she was driving a Yaris at the time, no amount of explaining makes it right, only car people will understand.

Used to get similar with my 147GTA, which had wide arches and v6 etc, say you have a 147 abd you'd hear oh my mum had one of those blah, blah, it's just something you have to deal with.

Shame really the Yaris is more bespoke it could have detached itself from the main car with another name entirely as there's no crossover really with typical Yaris owners and this.

Simple really you buy a car for you, yourself not to applease others.

The comments I got when I sold my 911 to buy a Mustang, people thought I'd lost the plot.
I also had some comments when I got the Ferrari in yellow, why did you not buy red as you should buy red because that is the colour everyone buys one in, well after looking at all the colours I preferred yellow and I paid more to get a yellow one lol. :D

Buy it for you, who cares what others thnk. :)

Associate
Simple really you buy a car for you, yourself not to applease others.

Buy it for you, who cares what others thnk. :)

Indeed, no issue for me, most of my non cars friends are embarrassed to get in my motors as they're not really old man cars, stickers, noisy exhausts etc, zero ***** given :D

Associate
I assume trying to negotiate any form of discount on a GR at the moment would see you laughed out the door (assuming any are actually left ot order in the UK)

Soldato
Well dunno how true it is but RRG Toyota in Macclesfield might be willing to fit DTUK boxes and maintain warranty if true is pretty good.

I know some of the guys from RRG through the sprint series (which they’ve sponsored for a few years now) and they were doing similar things for the GT86 so it would be in keeping with their enthusiast focus.

Soldato
I assume trying to negotiate any form of discount on a GR at the moment would see you laughed out the door (assuming any are actually left ot order in the UK)
I believe more are being assigned to the UK market. Just before Xmas I think total orders taken/sold still <50 % of the total new allocation now. However, deliveries now seem to be going into November. Discount? Unlikely

OcUK Staff
OP
There won't be any discounts!

I really think the price will go up a few grand, mainly due to Brexit.

I am not sure on the shipment cost for cars, but they tend to come via sea on ships, on deck, containers etc.

Let me just share this info with you guys, OcUK imports lots of stock from China region in containers, shipping a container used to cost us around £2000 per container, they are now costing us £10,000 plus per container.
The shipping price has more than quadrupled.

Prices are going to absolutely rocket in the UK on goods at this rate, BREXIT is an utter failure, then add Covid into this whole mess and the prices of goods in general is about to get really ugly, I will be amazed if Toyota do not increase pricing, I suppose the one advantage a company like Toyota might have is maybe they own the ships and shipping company so they can somewhat absorb cost, but generally shipping of goods by sea is exploding, air freight as more than tripled too, sad times.

If I was on fence about buying a GR Yaris, I would get the order in now, coupled with its success and the shipping rates exploding, the price will go up unless Toyota are happy to lose more than they are already doing so on these cars.

Associate
I believe more are being assigned to the UK market. Just before Xmas I think total orders taken/sold still <50 % of the total new allocation now. However, deliveries now seem to be going into November. Discount? Unlikely

I am not sure on the shipment cost for cars, but they tend to come via sea on ships, on deck, containers etc.

Let me just share this info with you guys, OcUK imports lots of stock from China region in containers, shipping a container used to cost us around £2000 per container, they are now costing us £10,000 plus per container.

Prices are going to absolutely rocket in the UK on goods at this rate, BREXIT is an utter failure, then add Covid into this whole mess and the prices of goods in general is about to get really ugly, I will be amazed if Toyota do not increase pricing, I suppose the one advantage a company like Toyota might have is maybe they own the ships and shipping company so they can somewhat absorb cost, but generally shipping of goods by sea is exploding, air freight as more than tripled too, sad times.

If I was on fence about buying a GR Yaris, I would get the order in now, coupled with its success and the shipping rates exploding, the price will go up unless Toyota are happy to lose more than they are already doing so on these cars.

Cheers guys, re. Brexit surely the increase in shipping costs will be offset by the 350m weekly rebate ;)

Is anyone even considering the Convenience Pack version? I'd want to daily it but I see possible longer term re-sale value in the Circuit Pack - I could be wrong though.
(Note: I am 100% confident I would not get close to the car's ability in either version)

Associate
Brexit is not really the issue, its the virus and sourcing/shipping impact that has on supply chain which has basically killed most markets, just like computer hardware even getting components to build cars is a challenge

Last edited:
Associate
Is anyone even considering the Convenience Pack version? I'd want to daily it but I see possible longer term re-sale value in the Circuit Pack - I could be wrong though.
(Note: I am 100% confident I would not get close to the car's ability in either version)

I can imagine there is a point where someone who is buying down the line for motorsport etc is not going to necessarily care as there will be superior aftermarket parts, but yes that person is probably looking for the cheaper car, I was that person with my MX5, I did not want the sport pack as I'd throw most of it away, the base model with no AC, no leather etc was the superior choice for me.

Soldato

It's not quite so bad...we move a lot of product from China to Europe and it's getting pretty bad, but it's mainly driven by COVID-related issues. Brexit is just a temporary extra annoyance on moving goods between EU & UK. We're managing the Brexit bit by using DHL's in-house customs clearance division (Gerlach) to manage all the import stuff - it's pretty straight forward.

The real problem is not availability of ships, nor the actual shipping cost, but the availability of containers. This is what's driving the cost up...we've seen prices increasing from $1800 / container to >$10,000 container. Airfreight is also going crazy with space literally going to the highest bidder at the moment. Container price is high because of lack of containers (so many are being used for PPE globally, and many of those are sitting, full up, in receiving ports waiting to be unloaded as they are needed). Air freight price is up because most air freight actually travels on commercial flights and of course they aren't flying at the moment.

On top of this there is general labour shortage in China (due to COVID), raw material shortage (due to COVID-related issues), and factories getting full before Chinese New Year. This is all making a perfect storm. We're seeing lead-times on certain things going out to ~38-52 weeks from China!

Soldato
Shipping costs from Asia went crazy at lockdown 1 :\

If its going to stay like that I can see a lot of manufacturing moving back to Europe and the US as its pointless being there right now.

Last edited:
Associate
I can imagine there is a point where someone who is buying down the line for motorsport etc is not going to necessarily care as there will be superior aftermarket parts, but yes that person is probably looking for the cheaper car, I was that person with my MX5, I did not want the sport pack as I'd throw most of it away, the base model with no AC, no leather etc was the superior choice for me.

It would be interesting to see the ratio of versions being sold at the moment.

Down the line, a serious enthusiast will likely follow the route as you did and grab a base model. I suspect someone wanting quick access to a fun car for track days will want Circuit Pack, so still leaves me wondering who will want the Convenience Pack models?

Back
Top Bottom