Amazon Prime !!!!

Soldato
Again, a more balanced thing on the emissions etc.. One person/some people rolling round in a van vs each one of us individually going to a town centre/out of town centre to shop?

I suspect the consolidated version is greener on one metric.

Again, not to take away from the fact there are substantial socio economic challenges that come from mass migration to online delivery/returns but not as simple as "it comes in a van = bad".

As I suggested further up, the issue with retail dying and people losing jobs etc is more to do with tax and spend decisions than trying to block forms of business/commerce to force people into shopping local, the genie is well and truly out of the bottle there.

If we're going to have a broadly capitalist economy then it's survival of the fittest and that's the end of it.

Caporegime
Amazon no longer needs to be the cheapest. They have already achieved their primary goal. Cementing themselves as the go-to retailer, where you know the item will come next day, and if you don't like it, you can easily return it (free collections). It's super quick and easy. People will happily pay for that service. Hell, just look at the number of people paying for prime!

Everyone else has missed a trick, where they have been on a race to the bottom trying to constantly lower costs. They didn't even need the financial backing to look at a prime based sub either. If they had actually cared about the customer, they would have been in a far better position.

I believe charging for prime is a double boost.

You get that cash. And people value it more. Givinh it away for free is worse. That's amazing really but makes sense.

Generally I'm not a fan of subscriptions. Which is hard.

A netflix and one drive are the only subs I have

Man of Honour
Many are forgetting Prime isn't just for fast shipping, you also get a video and music service as part of it. The music service might not be as big as Spotify, but Prime Video has original content and plenty of movies/shows to watch that Netflix doesn't.

Associate
We got Prime mainly for the video and music service. As mentioned above, it's not Music Unlimited, but you still get access to loads of music. Then Prime Video has a very nice selection of series and movies. On top of that, we get items delivered next day, which is awesome. We order once or twice a month, but sometimes it's nice to know something will arrive the next day.

Soldato
Many are forgetting Prime isn't just for fast shipping, you also get a video and music service as part of it. The music service might not be as big as Spotify, but Prime Video has original content and plenty of movies/shows to watch that Netflix doesn't.

There's a few other bits and pieces too for those interested, 'unlimited' photo storage and Prime Reading being probably the biggest two

Associate
I can't stream youtube on my speakers, and I don't particularly like 'downloading' everything. I used to, when I was a teenager without any money, but for the sake of what is £6.50/month getting seamless access to these services, whilst supporting content creators and free next day delivery is worth it.

Associate
Is there actually anything good on prime video?

Some really good dramas and other series. Favourites of ours are: Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Mr. Robot, The Boys off the top of my head.

Movie wise they don't have as much 'original' content as Netflix, but they do have a huge catalog of movies. What sets them back is the suggestion algorithm and their app makes it tedious to discover movies you'd like. Then again, it is cheaper than Netflix and you get music/delivery and other items as well as some poster above mentioned. One of the things you get is Twitch prime, which allows you to subscribe for free to one content creator a month (essentially worth £4.99/month).

Soldato
It's fantastic, isn't it. It's never failed me, every single thing I've ever ordered using it has turned up when promised, even during the height of lockdown 1. In fact, during lockdown 1 when they said things may take three or four days, they generally arrived the next day anyway.

It's worth every single penny I pay for it.

Quoted for the truth.

Worth every penny just for quick delivery, even if I don't watch any of the video stuff or football.

Soldato
Is there actually anything good on prime video?

It's obviously entirely subjective but yes, the library of included content is generally pretty good, plenty of big name films and TV series, plenty of 'Prime Original' content, the quality of which is as variable as 'Netflix Originals', plenty of filler.

Caporegime
Some really good dramas and other series. Favourites of ours are: Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Mr. Robot, The Boys off the top of my head.

Movie wise they don't have as much 'original' content as Netflix, but they do have a huge catalog of movies. What sets them back is the suggestion algorithm and their app makes it tedious to discover movies you'd like. Then again, it is cheaper than Netflix and you get music/delivery and other items as well as some poster above mentioned. One of the things you get is Twitch prime, which allows you to subscribe for free to one content creator a month (essentially worth £4.99/month).

Probably why it's not for me . I'm not big on dramas and similar.

I love netflix for all its animation, fantasy stuff.
From star trek to she-ra to sabrina. I love all that. Not really seen that much on prime similar. To be fair I haven't looked on prime for this stuff.

Currently watching troll hunters animation series.

Actually, netflix/entertainment is one thing where I think its dominant position (as of now) is kind of good. Without multi national money no way you'd get production quality like this.

Obviously price increases come with that.
But disappointed and concerned about the fracturing of that market with Disney plus, hbo etc. I'm definitely not signing up for 2 services or more.

Associate
Probably why it's not for me . I'm not big on dramas and similar.

I love netflix for all its animation, fantasy stuff.
From star trek to she-ra to sabrina. I love all that. Not really seen that much on prime similar. To be fair I haven't looked on prime for this stuff.

Actually, netflix/entertainment is one thing where I think its dominant position (as of now) is kind of good. Without multi national money no way you'd get production quality like this.

Obviously price increases come with that.
But disappointed and concerned about the fracturing of that market with Disney plus, hbo etc. I'm definitely not signing up for 2 services or more.

Fair enough, not very fond of the shows you mentioned so not sure what the equivalents on Amazon would be.

I share most of my accounts with family so subscribe to Netflix/Amazon/Disney. Probably personally pay less than £15/month for all 3.

Caporegime
Fair enough, not very fond of the shows you mentioned so not sure what the equivalents on Amazon would be.

I share most of my accounts with family so subscribe to Netflix/Amazon/Disney. Probably personally pay less than £15/month for all 3.

Yeah definitely each to their own on entertainment. Certainly going to have a look on prime video as I've only found these while having netflix to look around.

Yeah that's pretty good if you can share

Soldato
Certainly going to have a look on prime video as I've only found these while having netflix to look around.

Advantage to Prime Video here is that it lets you view/browse the 'Included with Prime' catalogue before you sign up, unlike Netflix

Associate
I've watched a reasonable amount of Prime TV - probably watch more now it's easier to access via Sky as well.

I think it's good value for £79 a year.

Soldato
Yep, gonna have to throw my hat into the 'It's brilliant and well worth the money' ring I'm afraid. Fast delivery and free returns. The refund is issued on returns when it's scanned in at the drop off too, who also print the label so you don't have to faff with home printing. Amazon Prime TV is also worth it.

Soldato
it amuses me how much some people get the hump over Amazon, like its success is some sort of personal insult. i'm a Prime customer, and to be honest, i tried it for a free trial simply because i needed something urgently and then i cancelled it w/out any problems, then i ignored it for about a year before dipping my toe properly, and w/ each and every purchase up to that point it was obvious where to click or not, so as far as i can tell all these stories about being "tricked" into signing up for it comes down people being careless and not paying attention then complaining when they realise they ***** up. i've seen a report elsewhere where Amazon were getting it in the neck about a laborious cancellation procedure and i can't speak on that cos i haven't tried to cancel, but as i say above, when i did want to cancel the trial version it was like one click and done.

Caporegime
it amuses me how much some people get the hump over Amazon, like its success is some sort of personal insult. i'm a Prime customer, and to be honest, i tried it for a free trial simply because i needed something urgently and then i cancelled it w/out any problems, then i ignored it for about a year before dipping my toe properly, and w/ each and every purchase up to that point it was obvious where to click or not, so as far as i can tell all these stories about being "tricked" into signing up for it comes down people being careless and not paying attention then complaining when they realise they ***** up. i've seen a report elsewhere where Amazon were getting it in the neck about a laborious cancellation procedure and i can't speak on that cos i haven't tried to cancel, but as i say above, when i did want to cancel the trial version it was like one click and done.
We're entering an era where mega-corporations have unprecedented power. Almost unlimited power.

I'm sure it'll end well. Bezos is a good guy. Amazon just wants us all to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom