Is this number plate legal?

Soldato
Nothing about it is legal, however, seeing as there are pretty much no traffic police anymore, chances of getting pulled are near zero.

You would have to get very unlucky. I ran a 3/4 size front plate for ages on my old car, plenty of police saw it as there is a station within a mile of me. None cared.

Associate
I personally think full sized, legally spaced, plate in centre of bumper would look better than that police attracting bit of illegal plastic.

Man of Honour
I think the main problem is it needs a dark tint applied so that you can just about make out the reg. You're not a proper rude boy until that's been applied.

Caporegime
Yay, another "sophisticated and understated" mod squid? :D

Legality aside, anyone with their plates mounted like this just looks a bell end. Second only to those prats who put their plate on the dash.

Underboss
to be fair i know we all have our tastes

personally though, its not horrific,

If i bought it i would take the rim blades off, put the colours back to stock on the rest of the car, move the plate back to where it should be. then i think its ok

Caporegime
how is it acceptable in some instances? "off-road use only" kind of instances?

it either complies to the law or not...
https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/rules-number-plates
  • spacing is wrong
  • you've admitted the size is wrong - text must be 79mm tall and 50mm wide (except 1 or i), line thickness 14mm, 11mm gap between letters, 33mm gap between the "X1" and "OAS" and 11mm margin around
  • can't see any manufacturer's info at the bottom
  • is it a sticker or a proper reflective plastic? if it's a sticker then is it reflective to the correct spec?
  • Needs to be mounted as close to vertically as possible (i think this is meaning the text has to be vertical), yours is on a diagonal

There is some loophole where imports can have smaller UK style plates. It also helps having a plate with as few characters as possible and numbers like 1 which take up less space.

Soldato
You would have to get very unlucky. I ran a 3/4 size front plate for ages on my old car, plenty of police saw it as there is a station within a mile of me. None cared.

"Regular" Police just don't care, they have too much to deal with now anyway. Traffic Police seem to deal with Motorways and RTAs as they are stretched too thin. They show all these TV shows of Cops nicking people but they are still in a minority of people who get dealt with.

Soldato
It's difficult to make our but is it following the shape of the bumper?

If it is going round the side slightly it won't be able to be fully read by either an officer coming the opposite directon or ANPR cameras.

You are bringing all sorts of attention and will be stopped regularly.

Your front tints also look a bit on the dark side. Be prepared to have a roadside check in that also.

Associate
It’s an A200, I was expecting it to be an A160D that seems to be the common car to mod after an Audi A3 1.9D.

Either way, looks terrible and has an illegal plate, I wonder if it was changed for its MoT or if a friendly garage ignored it, along with all the potential modifications affecting the emissions standards and noise, then of course how much has been declared on the insurance policy.

Associate
OP
It’s an A200, I was expecting it to be an A160D that seems to be the common car to mod after an Audi A3 1.9D.

Either way, looks terrible and has an illegal plate, I wonder if it was changed for its MoT or if a friendly garage ignored it, along with all the potential modifications affecting the emissions standards and noise, then of course how much has been declared on the insurance policy.

Its an A45 AMG yellow Night. What mods exactly?

Associate
OP
It's difficult to make our but is it following the shape of the bumper?

If it is going round the side slightly it won't be able to be fully read by either an officer coming the opposite directon or ANPR cameras.

You are bringing all sorts of attention and will be stopped regularly.

Your front tints also look a bit on the dark side. Be prepared to have a roadside check in that also.

Just to clarify, not my car in the op lol.

Yes the plate bends round the bumper

Back
Top Bottom